Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> some people just don't get it.
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 13 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #1

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

Was filling my gas tank yesterday when I heard a commotion and a couple guys yelling behind me. When I turned around I found they were yelling at me. I looked under my car to check for gas pouring out, but it was dry. They were yelling about me putting gas in my engine. One of them said the gas goes in the back. I told them to relax, I was putting it in the tank. Then they started arguing with me.when I showed them the tank and the engine they were amazed at my skills for moving the engine to the middle. They just refused to believe it came that way. Less than a mile away, I made another stop and someone in the parking lot asked if that top came off. I simply said yes. as he was walking around the car he said "that's a karman ghia right"? I was gonna just say yes but he saw the hood badge and said "oh, it's a Porsche, no it's not! You just stuck the emblem on there". I just walked off. I've been dealing with this crap for 40 years. Why can't people just mind their own business? If every guy who's told me his best friend had one in college really had one there would have been two million made. Now I'm not adverse to talking about my car, but at least ask a real question and stop lying. Had one guy tell me he used to do frame off restorations to them in the 70's. Huh? Go away dude.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 79)
aircooledtechguy
post Jul 16 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #61

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My favorite is to take this to the grocery store. The bagger brings the cart out and I start at the back trunk. Then when it's full I say, "We'll just have to put the rest in the front." Then I pop the "frunk" and begin loading there. . . The next words are always, "where's the motor??" I always reply the same,

"In the middle where God intended it to be!!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 16 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 16 2014, 05:08 PM) *

My favorite is to take this to the grocery store. The bagger brings the cart out and I start at the back trunk. Then when it's full I say, "We'll just have to put the rest in the front." Then I pop the "frunk" and begin loading there. . . The next words are always, "where's the motor??" I always reply the same,

"In the middle where God intended it to be!!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Groceries in the rear trunk..is dinner cooked by the time you get home?
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jul 16 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I haven't had anyone say anything bad about the 914?

Stuck in grid lock on I83 inching along when a very attractive young woman in the passenger seat of a big Chevy SUV climbed halfway out the window as they were passing waving and yelling, "I LOVE YOUR PORSCHE"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

At a Gas Station a 40 ish Biker on a nice Ducati came over and said "NICE 914 WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I WAS GOING TO BUY ONE BUT WOUND UP GETTING AN MG INSTEAD...KICK MYSELF WHEN EVER I SEE ONE OF THESE, BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

At the HERSHEY SWAP MEET this year a 911 ownercame over and said "I HAVE GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At a PCA Tech Session at Translog, Tony had his 914 Auto Cross car that he's building on the lift and spend most of the session answering questions by everyone there about the 914. The Boxster Karmin Kia he built, that was at the SEMA Show, sat on the next lift and didn't get nearly as much attention from the mostly 911 crowd. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

People are taking notice, BIG TIME!
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jul 16 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Tonight.
Getting gas, guy looking at my orange 6 says to me "nice car what is it ?
Attendant, who took a phone pic and is about to take the money says to the admirer "Ferrari"
?!?!?!?!
Don't know if I should be thrilled or insulted.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jul 16 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #65

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

It is time to start exclaiming NARP stands for "Now a Real Porsche!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I might have to get a NARP sticker after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

John
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 16 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #66

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I tell 'em, It's a Volkswagen ... and they say, Really?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2014, 06:03 AM
Post #67

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 16 2014, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 16 2014, 05:08 PM) *

Groceries in the rear trunk..is dinner cooked by the time you get home?

We have been taking a 914 to the grocery store off and on for for 28 years. But we put all the stuff like paper products and cleaning supplies in the back, and the cold and frozen stuff in the front. Freaks the grocery bagger out when we get a heaping full cart of stuff into it, plus two people. The passenger ends up holding the eggs and anything else that is deemed fragile, and sometimes one or two small bags.

It works better than my pickup for grocery runs.

+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jul 17 2014, 06:28 AM
Post #68

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) you should see the looks on peoples faces when I pack up camp and pull the 914 around to stuff everything in there. Every car should have two trunks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mere's_72_914
post Jul 17 2014, 08:01 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 17,537
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 15 2014, 10:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 15 2014, 06:17 PM) *

Is your wife supposed to know about 914world? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

LOL!

Ok, slightly OT, but how many females are there on 914World?
And what percent of teener owners are female vs male?

I say it's 15% vs 85%. What say you?

IMHO, 914's are the least (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) "chick-car"-ish. Well, maybe after Vettes, Vipers and Lambos.

I'm a chick and I love my new-to-me 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (Thanks DAD!) Ya'll will probably get sick of me asking stupid questions but I am trying to fix my little gold 914 back to her "original" condition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

I was stopped at a stop sign in my friends neighborhood last weekend and an older gentleman walking asked if I was even alive when my car was built. Haha NOPE! Its 10 years older than I am.
+Quote Post
Johns914
post Jul 17 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,135

Still slightly OT. I was showing my wife a picture of some Pedrini wheels and she noticed the 914-6 GT wheels and wanter to put them on my 72. Explained would need to flare the wheels and she said so. Guse now I need to find a flared 914 with a sportmatic as she refuses to learn manual. Oh darn another 914 in the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 17 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #71

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Johns914 @ Jul 17 2014, 09:57 AM) *

Still slightly OT. I was showing my wife a picture of some Pedrini wheels and she noticed the 914-6 GT wheels and wanter to put them on my 72. Explained would need to flare the wheels and she said so. Guse now I need to find a flared 914 with a sportmatic as she refuses to learn manual. Oh darn another 914 in the garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Good luck finding a sportomatic in a 914. They never built a 4 cylinder with a sportomatic, and there were very few sixes built, so they get big money when the come up for sale.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 17 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #72

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My favorite was when I was outside a restaurant with a bunch of teeners and my 2.0 with monza exhaust was sitting there idling and the bus boy came out and asked if it was a twin turbo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 17 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #73

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784

QUOTE(Mere's_72_914 @ Jul 17 2014, 10:01 AM) *

Is your wife supposed to know about 914world? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

LOL!

IMHO, 914's are the least (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) "chick-car"-ish. Well, maybe after Vettes, Vipers and Lambos.

I'm a chick and I love my new-to-me 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (Thanks DAD!) Ya'll will probably get sick of me asking stupid questions but I am trying to fix my little gold 914 back to her "original" condition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

I was stopped at a stop sign in my friends neighborhood last weekend and an older gentleman walking asked if I was even alive when my car was built. Haha NOPE! Its 10 years older than I am.

HA! My '74 is 30 years older than me!
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 17 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #74

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784

QUOTE(Johns914 @ Jul 17 2014, 10:57 AM) *

Thats too bad. I feel bad for you, you have to have ANOTHER PORSCHE in your garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 17 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was at a gas station filling up. Attendant is asking a few questions. I say, "Yeah the top even comes off and goes in the trunk." He replies," Does it do it automatically?"...." Um.. no. Nothing on this car is automatic... well maybe the headlights."
+Quote Post
daraho9146
post Jul 17 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 17,582

I was in downtown Albuquerque and parked my car in front of a tavern I frequent.
I heard a guy that was standing on the sidewalk say: Wow nice car. Not the usual 914. Sounds like a 2.2 L six with webers. I was surprised because most people don't even know that they made a 914-6. I said "thanks". He said: Could you spare a buck.
I gave him 5 bucks
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 17 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #77

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Mere's_72_914 @ Jul 17 2014, 07:01 AM) *

LOL!

That's a rare colour. Keep it. And FWIW, there are no stupid questions. Ask away. I'll bet 75% of us didn't know Jack about our 914's before logging onto 914World.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 17 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #78

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Took Huey out today, need to get miles on him from the engine rebuild before the autocross this weekend. Had to stop at Lowes on the way home, and I parked way out in the lot.
Came out, there was a guy in a pickup truck stopped taking pictures. When I walked up he asked "I assume that has a 6 in it right? What size?" I said "3.2" to which he said 'Damn man! My little 2.2 I used to have was a screemer...i can't imagine what a 3.2 would be like!" We chatted a bit more, a handful of people came over to look at the car, and amazingly, nobody thought it was some other car besides a Porsche (then again, it does say it down the rockers...)

Not that Huey is stealth or anything... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EVERY time we take him out, someone comments/takes pictures/asks if the kids can sit in it, etc. Very cool, always ablidge especailly with the kids...gotta start them young!
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jul 17 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #79

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

I have found that most people like the car cause it's old, shiny and different looking; having a Porsche badge on it add the coolness factor.

I find that its the self proclaimed "car" guys that seem to be the ones with snotty attitudes about it being "undesirable".

It's always an MG or 2002 owner it seems.

Everyone else thinks it's cool!
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Jul 18 2014, 12:54 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Here in Australia teeners are a bit thin on the ground.

I get a fair amount of people wondering what it is, and asking all about it.

And a good percentage of them are surprised when i expain it only has a 1.7lt 4 cyl in it. Noisy little bugger that it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I get the Fiat comment occasionally, or Triumph ( TR7).

Only ever had one person turn their nose up and it was an old school / old fool 911 snob from the local Porsche club who had no idea what it was until i said it was a 914 , and then he start going off about how they werent real Porsches etc etc .
Seriously dude, you've never seen a car before yet you have the audacity to go down that road .... He got a serve. After all, there is as much if not more VW in his 356 as my 914. I have unlimited time for everyone but asshats....

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 07:09 AM