Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift bar linkage for /6
patssle
post Aug 29 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

Well here's my next /6 conversion problem - my shift linkage hits the headers. After some research I can A) buy a new bar B) weld a new tube to mostly straighten it out and cut the bend off C) cut the ends off and rotate them so the bend faces the ground.

If I weld a new tube in (before cutting off the bend) - does it matter where I attach it to the existing tube? Will it rotate fine as long as the ends are not moved? Or should I just have one of the guys on the forum that convert these do it for me?

A new bar is expensive and cutting the ends off makes me afraid if they are off just by a degree of ruining my shift rod.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 30 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

My shift rod had to be straightened to work with my six, I had Mark at Original Customs cut and reweld mine. Not sure if there is a write up somewhere with instructions on how to do it yourself. Seems length and orientation of the two set screw holes are the only factors.

+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 30 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I welded mine up! It doesn't have to look good as long as the end orientation and length is the same!

I welded up one end then tack welded the other and had someone shift while I watched the bar. I would grind off the weld and retack until I got a clean shift pattern. Then welded the rest up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 30 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Graft in the straight section of a rear shift linkage.
It can be added behind the boot holder and rotated so that it's one bend can clear the exhaust and look like it was meant to be there.
Parts for rear shift linkage are plentiful and cheap.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Aug 30 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,741

Looks like it would be a really awkward shift rod if I had a rod welded on before removing the bend. I'd really need to cut at a heavy angle the ends of the new piece to be flush with the shift rod. But I'd be afraid of messing up the template if I separate the two ends before welding on a new rod.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 30 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just used a length of 2x4 and made blocks to hold the two ends in place and at the right length, then simply cut the bent section out and replaced it with a straight piece of tubing. Put a couple of tack welds to hold things in place, then installed and tried it out. Once I knew I could get all the gears, I threw on a few more welds for good measure.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 30 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

If you are interested, Dan Root put up a thread on converting to a /6. In it he covers the shift bar.
Go to classic threads to Dan's easy way to convert to a six. Something like "back yard Bob's way". Second page of classic threads.
Tom
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Aug 30 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,037

What I have done is to make a jig on a chunk of plywood, to index the rod as it is in stock form, with both ends in the right orientation, and length. Then the rod can be cut, with the new section providing the clearance needed, and it can go back on the plywood to be tack welded with the jig holding the three lengths in the correct orientation. It was pretty simple, and made out of junk scraps of wood.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:49 PM