Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replacing rear main seal, What parts along the way can't be reused?
rjames
post Sep 1 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I replaced the clutch and flywheel last year and the rear main seal, but it looks like it's leaking again.
As part of the task of removing the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel to get to the seal, what parts can't I use again?

Do I need a new felt washer?
What else?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 1 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You'll need the o-ring. Since you're ordering the seal anyway, get the locking washer, too.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 1 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Cap'n, I'm looking at the list of items in Pelican's clutch kit and I don't see a lock washer listed. Are you referring to the 'metal crush gasket' on their list?

Pelican's list of clutch replacement parts:

New Pressure Plate
New 911 Clutch Disc
New Throw-out Bearing
New Pilot Bearing and Felt Ring
2 Throw-out Bearing Guide Clips
New Throw-out Fork Bushing
New Flywheel O-Ring
New Flywheel Bolts
New Flywheel Metal Crush Gasket
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 1 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 1 2014, 07:43 PM) *

Cap'n, I'm looking at the list of items in Pelican's clutch kit and I don't see a lock washer listed. Are you referring to the 'metal crush gasket' on their list?

New Pressure Plate
New 911 Clutch Disc
New Throw-out Bearing
New Flywheel O-Ring
New Flywheel Bolts

Yup. They call it that. I call it a lock washer because its function is to allow the barbed ridges on the backside of the flywheel bolts to dig in and lock the bolts in place. Porsche just calls it a washer. In NO WAY does it "crush".

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 2 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #5

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2014, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 1 2014, 07:43 PM) *

New Pressure Plate
New 911 Clutch Disc
New Throw-out Bearing
New Flywheel O-Ring
New Flywheel Bolts

Yup. They call it that. I call it a lock washer because its function is to allow the barbed ridges on the backside of the flywheel bolts to dig in and lock the bolts in place. Porsche just calls it a washer. In NO WAY does it "crush".

The Cap'n

Great, thanks!

Any recommendations on what brand of seal I should use? I put in a Viton last year because of reports that the Ehlring (sp) brand had a bad track record for leaking out of the box.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Sep 2 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
type2man
post Sep 2 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

Might be transmission front seal leaking. I would tear it down first. I have found that if you run the engine for a few mintutes right before tearing it down, it will be easier to see where the drip is coming from.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 2 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

considering the cost of both seals, I would just get both and be ready do install both.

rich
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 2 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #9

I'm made of metal

It's not the tranny. I pulled it already and verified.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 2 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Think twice about re-using anything with "gasket" in its name. In particular, if you run gaskets on the CV joints (hey, some don't!) you probably don't want to re-use them. Especially if you wind up having to poke a screwdriver into them to get the CVs off the transmission output flanges.

Transmission linkage cone set-screws (only used in side-shift linkage) are good to replace when you take them out. (I don't always follow this, but I probably should.) The locking nib tends to get mashed into the shape of the thread and not lock as well over a couple of install and remove cycles.

Since you're going to have the linkage apart to pull the trans, consider replacing some or all of the bushings.

If the side shift console is leaking, this would be an opportunity to replace the seal inside of it.

You can clean up your transmission ground points and ground strap, while you're in there.

.... Eventually, you'll wind up with a completely rebuilt car if you keep doing things "while you're in there".... In our world, that is known as DWD, or Dirk Wright's Disease.

--DD
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 2 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #11

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 2 2014, 02:55 PM) *

Think twice about re-using anything with "gasket" in its name. In particular, if you run gaskets on the CV joints (hey, some don't!) you probably don't want to re-use them. Especially if you wind up having to poke a screwdriver into them to get the CVs off the transmission output flanges.

Transmission linkage cone set-screws (only used in side-shift linkage) are good to replace when you take them out. (I don't always follow this, but I probably should.) The locking nib tends to get mashed into the shape of the thread and not lock as well over a couple of install and remove cycles.

Since you're going to have the linkage apart to pull the trans, consider replacing some or all of the bushings.

If the side shift console is leaking, this would be an opportunity to replace the seal inside of it.

You can clean up your transmission ground points and ground strap, while you're in there.

.... Eventually, you'll wind up with a completely rebuilt car if you keep doing things "while you're in there".... In our world, that is known as DWD, or Dirk Wright's Disease.

--DD

I wasn't planning in reusing any gaskets or cv washers. Trans was rebuilt last year and at that time put a new clutch in with all new associated parts, including the flywheel. I also did all of the shift bushings.
I've also reused the linkage cone screws without any issues, but I'll replace them just the same. Thanks for the reminder.

I also need to check the end play. I didn't do that when I replaced the flywheel. ( It wasn't listed as part of the procedure in Pelican's clutch article.)

Could too much/little endplay cause the rear main seal to leak?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:29 AM