Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Buying advice - 1971 914
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 8 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #21

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

My 2 cents - if you like it buy it. Is it going to be your everyday driver or just a weekend fun car or something in the middle? There is nothing wrong with a an early car. If you plan to make "upgrades" to it later then you need a good base to work with.

I have a 70 that over the years have added a 73 2.0L with side shift trans, replaced the fixed passenger seat with a later movable passenger seats. Then autocross bug bite me and well that is a another story of "upgrades". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 8 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 8 2014, 08:24 AM) *

My 2 cents - if you like it buy it. Is it going to be your everyday driver or just a weekend fun car or something in the middle? There is nothing wrong with a an early car. If you plan to make "upgrades" to it later then you need a good base to work with.

I have a 70 that over the years have added a 73 2.0L with side shift trans, replaced the fixed passenger seat with a later movable passenger seats. Then autocross bug bite me and well that is a another story of "upgrades". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Something in the middle. The more I think about it, it would be a shame to disassemble it for a couple years doing a complete restoration, when it could be driven while I worked on it. I might use it as a driver, while I restore another one.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 8 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 8 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Something in the middle. The more I think about it, it would be a shame to disassemble it for a couple years doing a complete restoration, when it could be driven while I worked on it. I might use it as a driver, while I restore another one.

Having a driver Definately helps to scratch the itch durring a long restoration.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 8 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2014, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 8 2014, 02:46 PM) *

Having a driver Definately helps to scratch the itch durring a long restoration.

Ya, that is what I am thinking. Ultimately I'd like an early car, as well as a 73/74, in addition to the '75 I am restoring. Having a car to drive now would be nice. As you know, the projects are so long. We will wait and see what it looks like on a lift.
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 8 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would pass at $6500, it looks like it has had work done in the front and there is a patch in the back of the trunk. I think you could do better for that price.
Who knows what is under the white paint job
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 8 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

this
1971 914
might be a better deal
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Sep 8 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I'd like to see more pix of the body, condition of seals, etc. Just based on what's posted here, I don't think $6500 is crazy. If you can get it at $5500, I'd say it was a very good deal. Again, I do qualify this, since there's a lot more about the car that I'd like to know and see.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 10 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Aaaaa
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 11:26 AM