Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please tell me what we (GPR) are doing wrong, - in other words why don't you buy from us.
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 781

This is not a sales pitch. I'm sincerely asking for feedback on what we could do, or do better, in order to earn your business.

Even if it's not something I can fix, it would still be good to know. For instance, I realize a lot of people have a loyalty to certain vendor as a result of a long standing personal or business relationship.

I go out of my way not to spam this forum with commercial posts so I hope this isn't viewed as objectionable.

Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Nov 25 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Brian,

I am not sure you are doing anything wrong. I suggest GPR to many 914 owners and they ask "Who is GPR ? I think many owners do not know you exist.

Bruce
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Nov 25 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #3

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

It may not be what you're doing wrong, just that other vendors aren't either. Pelican gets me the parts I need, at a competitive price, usually within 2-3 days. Hard to ask for me than that.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 25 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

I think this is a great question.

I can only speak for myself, but I have not shopped here (even though I had a gift certificate) because I spend all my money on sheet metal. Of the stuff you carry I am not even sure what I need yet. Later in my build I will be in your market and will definitely consider you. Even though my gift cert. expired, you sponsor Octeenerfest, so that moves you to the top of the non specialized vendor list.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 25 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

timely…called this am to order something (spreading the money around a bit), left a message w/my #, no return call. i'll wait a bit before i shop elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Nov 25 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm not nuts about the online parts catalog on the website....but it doesn't stop me from shopping with GPR and I do recommend GPR to others also. Other than that minor quibble, I'm happy....carry on!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 25 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 25 2014, 02:29 PM) *
I'm not nuts about the online parts catalog on the website....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
One of the things that puts me off from the website is the flow of the catalog where i have to chose a year for my car first before i can look at parts.

While my car is a '70, it has parts from all years and other makes and models and it is hard to fiddle through the interface to find the right parts.
This is amplified by the fact that the site remembers my choice and then simply assumes that all i'm interested in is for that particular year and model.

Of course, it doesn't help either that i'm currently not in the market for any parts.
But as we all know, that can (and will) change ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Nov 25 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #8

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd look to GPR more often if you removed the 'minimum order quantity' restrictions.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 25 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Here is a simple answer:

I have not heard of you because when searching google for "914 parts" your site did not show up in the first 40 results

Maybe it is time to payoff Google.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Nov 25 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #10

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

I agree that the website as it is is not particually user friendly.

I am doing a six conversion and am buying parts, maybe you could issue build discounts, and and give guys that are restoring cars, or doing builds discounts for the life of the project.

I have been using a lot more Amazon because of the freight policies. I know a lot of us buy parts on budgets and the freight is killing us.

Or, how about an East Coast Warehouse!

John
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Nov 25 2014, 05:04 PM
Post #11

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2014, 05:37 PM) *

One of the things that puts me off from the website is the flow of the catalog where i have to chose a year for my car first before i can look at parts.

While my car is a '70, it has parts from all years and other makes and models and it is hard to fiddle through the interface to find the right parts.
This is amplified by the fact that the site remembers my choice and then simply assumes that all i'm interested in is for that particular year and model.

I have to agree with a couple other posters, that honestly I'd never heard of GPR. I've only been a 914 owner for a year, but when I got my first 914 a google search for '914 parts' turned up AA, Pelican, and a couple others. I opened this thread and thought, "Who is GPR?".

But I have to agree with Andy above. That shit is super annoying. I have the same issue with the Pelican website. My old 914 had parts from several 914 years, and parts from various 911 model years. When the website locks you into one model/one year it's a real pain in the ass to find what you're looking for.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 25 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

As Andy stated. Also, I prefer NOT to order online...ANYWHERE! If I can avoid it.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #13

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm not particularly happy with the catalog myself. In case you are interested, here is the "readers digest" explanation of why it is the way it is. If you want to have a web site selling car parts, you have two basic options.
1) You code the whole thing yourself and supply all the part application data yourself. This option is $$$. Just getting the application data is more money than we spend on technology annually. Pelican is in this bucket.
2) You have a website that is tied to a major distributor. The application data (via the YMME lookup) is provided by the distributor's servers in real time, as is pricing. The literally thousands of hastily branded Worldpac sites are the most common example of this. It is also how our site works, just a little more sophisticated. We can do a lot more than the ubiquitous Worldpac shells but we are locked into the YYME lookup model.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but bottom line I don't know how to fix it within my financial means.

Of course, it doesn't help either that i'm currently not in the market for any parts.
But as we all know, that can (and will) change ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

You better knock on wood or something. Whenever I say something like that, my oil pressure light comes on 5 minutes later. Sort of of like telling your buddies how reliable your car/bike/computer/phone is - instant jinx.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Nov 25 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 25 2014, 05:50 PM) *

I have been using a lot more Amazon because of the freight policies. I know a lot of us buy parts on budgets and the freight is killing us.

Or, how about an East Coast Warehouse!

John

Free freight if you order $70.

One of our distributors has a warehouse in PA and we drop ship a lot of East coast orders. UPS ground is one day to a lot of PA, NY, MA, etc.

One idea I was kicking around, would you pay a membership fee (ala Amazon Prime) for free ship on everything??
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Nov 25 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #15

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Yes depending on the fee and if your prices were otherwise competitive.

I also thought you were out of CA.

John
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 25 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,741

I'll put another mark for website user-friendliness. I've looked for parts before on your site and just got frustrated and went to Pelican instead.

I run a website for a multi-million dollar company. Up until last year it looked like a site from the '90s - terrible colors, tabled/blocky look, pure Web 1.0. But the information was up to date, it was relevant, and it was easily the most user-friendly website in our industry. We made tens of millions off of it.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 25 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #17

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I purchased a few items from you when serious price shopping for big items.

Pelican has been my go to for everyday items. My toolbox is plastered with pelican magnets.

Sorta.. Out of sight out of mind for GPR?

Pelican and the Bird are easy to remember. Is it Grp? Gpn? I've had to search World a time or two to remember your name.

I just did a google search for GPR and quite looking after 5 pages too

Work on branding is a suggestion.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 25 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

When I get to the point where Speedy is getting all the rust repair done, I will be looking you up.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 25 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I buy parts at competitive prices first, people I like second.

I'm a buyer for parts for the ABM if you want to PM me for a list.

Thx
+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Nov 25 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #20

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hi
Never heard of you either but I just checked out your site. I also agree with others. The page is usable but doesn't flow very well. I prefer headings and the parts listed down the page with a picture and associated parts so you don't forget other items that you might have forgotten but you need.
Example. Rocker cover gaskets---screen gaskets----oil filter---oil

Some additional comments, cheap is good, free shipping is good, members specials are good, hard to get is good, wish list is good, customer loyalty is good, price matching is good. Listing things you don't have in stock and back ordering which takes weeks or months is bad. Also having the exorbitant prices and then listing the savings is nonsense when you can buy the same parts from someone else competitively.
Example Transmission gear teeth , List $279.50, your price $112.46---you save 167.04.
I checked several sites and you were competitive but all that bollocks does you no favours.

The bird stuffed their web site up with the stupid pull down menu which you have to list the year and model of your car, too many annoying complications but I still shop there as they are fast and efficient.
I buy from AA because they have things that others seem not to have. PMB because, well they are nice people. 914 rubber because , well who else. SM have been exy and slow but also have a few hard to get pieces not listed elsewhere.

Also helps if you are attached to a web forum which serves certain makes of car,-- maybe you need to sponsor some sites so they allow legitimate advertising which is not considered spam.

I did see you have swepco gear oil so I might put in an order after a bit of cost comparison

Hope the comments are useful.
Cheers

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:01 AM