Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help with Vellios 916 shifter parts
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 18 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Actual member 7"

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

Hey all I need help with Vellios shifter.

I am looking for a drawing of the shift fingers. I need to replicate or repair mine. Does anyone have a drawing of this part? (I am speaking of the shifting levers or fingers, not the cast aluminum part)

Thanks

Marv

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 19 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Actual member 7"

No replies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) New question..... Does anyone have a Vellios kit for sale?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 19 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Do a wtb in the classifieds. They show up occasionally. There was one awhile back for cheap by a guy who replaced his with Martin Botts kit.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 19 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 19 2015, 03:56 PM) *

Do a wtb in the classifieds. They show up occasionally. There was one awhile back for cheap by a guy who replaced his with Martin Botts kit.

Ron S ?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 19 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Ron S ?

Yep!!!
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 19 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Actual member 7"

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 19 2015, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Ron S ?

Yep!!!

Looks like that kit was sold last May.
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 20 2015, 12:20 PM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Is that a picture of your piece? If so, I'm not seeing what is wrong with it other than it needs quite a bit of smoothing and polishing to work nicely. I should have a complete kit I can reference if you like.

I have no drawings, but could take some pictures if that would help.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 20 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #8

Actual member 7"

QUOTE(John @ Feb 20 2015, 10:20 AM) *

Is that a picture of your piece? If so, I'm not seeing what is wrong with it other than it needs quite a bit of smoothing and polishing to work nicely. I should have a complete kit I can reference if you like.

John, Thanks for the reply. No that is not a picture of my piece. Picture was for reference only. Mine were ground down and hacked up by an idiot. You have a complete kit ?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 20 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Did you break that car already? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 20 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 20 2015, 12:36 PM) *

John, Thanks for the reply. No that is not a picture of my piece. Picture was for reference only. Mine were ground down and hacked up by an idiot. You have a complete kit ?

I would replace it with Martin Bott's kit or Wevo or are you just looking for a quick fix?
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 20 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #11

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 20 2015, 12:36 PM) *

I may have a couple that are not in transmissions at the moment. We have been running the Velios parts for some time and I can make them work just fine. I do suggest the extra springs in the 915 shift console to help with the gating, but other than that, I think they work fine.

The internal parts of the kit installed in the track car has been ground and polished from the rough castings that were once sold by George.

The "ears" on the shift fingers need to have the sharp edges broken and the rest polished in order to make nice shifts. The shift shafts also required some clean up work. There was also some clearancing that needed to be performed on the back side of the shift "fingers" that you have a picture of as it could make contact with the gear stack when shifting into one of the gears (I think it was second, but it may have been third.)

I have looked at the WEVO parts and the newer parts that convert a 915 into a clone of a 916, and while they are nice parts, the parts that I have work for me and if I found another VELLIOS kit available and affordable, I would consider buying it as another spare. I have never broken any of the parts of the kit and after polishing the kit we run, the problems with it are little to non existent.

The 915 boxes are balky and can not be "speed shifted". They can be shifted fast, but one must not try to force it. As I understand it, the synchros used after the 915 are able to shift much more quickly.

I can take detailed pictures of what you need if you want to rebuild your bits.

+Quote Post
John
post Feb 20 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #12

member? what's a member?

First pic is an old one of the shift fingers most of the way modified. The grind marks are where it made contact with a gear stack.

Attached Image

This second pic shows the fingers from another kit. It also shows evidence of contacting a gear stack. I bought this kit used from another member. Note, the brass washer does not belong there and will cause shift finger misalignment.

Attached Image

This last one shows the two together to show differences. The one on the Left is mostly modified. The one on the right is rough as obtained from another member.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 20 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #13

member? what's a member?

One thing I don't like about the old VELLIOS kits were that the tail cone (nosecone) ears were off and the transmission sits in the car crooked (about 1/2" from one side to the other).

Another thing I never liked about it was the lack of a reverse switch. The shift rod provided is far too short to extend back and actuate a switch, but it would probably interfere with the exhaust anyway.

The other thing I never liked about the VELLIOS kit was the lack of speedometer, but I know of a way to adapt to an electronic speedometer through either the sensor ring and machining a pocket in the side cover or by adding a sensor ring to the CV joint flange.

I do wish I had one of these kits for a 930 transmission......

Attached Image
Attached Image

If I were just a little older (or had money back when you could buy these things). What ever happened to Beach Boys Racing???? (I remember they had some unique offerings back in the day.)
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 21 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Actual member 7"

Elliot Cannon-Did you break that car already?

No E, it has never shifted right since the rebuild. Somehow Don from Precision Motion severally bent the the tunnel shift rod. The shift rod was bent into a banana and was left that way, then he went about grinding various other parts to try fix the problem to make it shift. The shift fingers have had a lot of the material removed. And of course none of the Vellios parts are available anywhere.

+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 21 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #15

Actual member 7"

John- Thanks for the pics and advice.

I will forward this link to my transmission guy. Have been trying to get this thing to shift right for some time now. The car was rebuilt over a 10 year period. (There is a build thread here on the world) The trans was working fine a decade ago with the Vellios installed. During my cars project I had Patrick Motorsport freshen up the trans and add an LS diff.

Unfortunately there was a local mechanic that made the whole thing worse in that he bent the tunnel shift rod and left it in place then proceeded to grind other stuff to try to fix it. I will post a pic of the shift rod.

The fingers have been ground down and the overall tip profile shape has been changed. Currently the trans balks 80% of the time on a 4-3 shift. Most problems involve 3rd gear. The trans also does some other odd things in gear selection.

We thought when we found the bent tunnel rod that we had it sorted, then proceeded on to find the fingers had been ground down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Thanks for your help and insight.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 21 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(John @ Feb 20 2015, 08:38 PM) *

One thing I don't like about the old VELLIOS kits were that the tail cone (nosecone) ears were off and the transmission sits in the car crooked (about 1/2" from one side to the other).

Another thing I never liked about it was the lack of a reverse switch. The shift rod provided is far too short to extend back and actuate a switch, but it would probably interfere with the exhaust anyway.

The other thing I never liked about the VELLIOS kit was the lack of speedometer, but I know of a way to adapt to an electronic speedometer through either the sensor ring and machining a pocket in the side cover or by adding a sensor ring to the CV joint flange.

Attached Image
Attached Image

If I were just a little older (or had money back when you could buy these things). What ever happened to Beach Boys Racing???? (I remember they had some unique offerings back in the day.)

John,
Wevo makes a billet side plate with the pocket for the speed sensor. That's what I used on my 915 gear box. Beach boys racing is still around (aka venice beach auto body). They still do GT flairs, SC flairs and far as I know the Monterrey kit.
http://www.porsche914venice.com/
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 21 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 21 2015, 01:06 PM) *

Elliot Cannon-Did you break that car already?

No E, it has never shifted right since the rebuild. Somehow Don from Precision Motion severally bent the the tunnel shift rod. The shift rod was bent into a banana and was left that way, then he went about grinding various other parts to try fix the problem to make it shift. The shift fingers have had a lot of the material removed. And of course none of the Vellios parts are available anywhere.

Bummer. You want I should call Vinnie and Guido? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 22 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #18

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 21 2015, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Feb 20 2015, 08:38 PM) *

Attached Image
Attached Image

John,
Wevo makes a billet side plate with the pocket for the speed sensor. That's what I used on my 915 gear box. Beach boys racing is still around (aka venice beach auto body). They still do GT flairs, SC flairs and far as I know the Monterrey kit.
http://www.porsche914venice.com/

Didn't BBR once upon a time make castings that allowed 911 rear wheel bearings & hubs and the proper mounting of 911 E-Brakes onto 914 trailing arms?

OOPS! my bad, I guess that was another George Vellios deal.

+Quote Post
John
post Feb 22 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #19

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Feb 21 2015, 01:39 PM) *

John- Thanks for the pics and advice.

I will forward this link to my transmission guy. Have been trying to get this thing to shift right for some time now. The car was rebuilt over a 10 year period. (There is a build thread here on the world) The trans was working fine a decade ago with the Vellios installed. During my cars project I had Patrick Motorsport freshen up the trans and add an LS diff.

Unfortunately there was a local mechanic that made the whole thing worse in that he bent the tunnel shift rod and left it in place then proceeded to grind other stuff to try to fix it. I will post a pic of the shift rod.

The fingers have been ground down and the overall tip profile shape has been changed. Currently the trans balks 80% of the time on a 4-3 shift. Most problems involve 3rd gear. The trans also does some other odd things in gear selection.

We thought when we found the bent tunnel rod that we had it sorted, then proceeded on to find the fingers had been ground down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Thanks for your help and insight.

There is a gentleman on this site that may be able to help you.

Once upon a time, this gentleman asked if anyone had a certain piece that was missing from a kit that he had purchased at a swap meet. He is a machinist and wanted to copy the part for his own use.

914World Thread

I sent him one of my spare parts and we made a deal where he would make me a copy and return it along with my original.

A short time later, he returned my original along with a copy that he made. His part was nicer than the original. His Vellios kit was a bit different (appeared much more like an original 916 from the outside), but seemed to use the same internal shift fingers.

He seemed to be a really nice guy, but you would have to contact him to find out if this could be a possibility for you.

These kits do work and once set up properly work real well. I believe the other versions out there also work well, but I can't speak for them. I have driven tail shifters, side shifters, 911's and 930's and my opinion is that a properly set up Vellios kit shifts about like a stock side shifter (with a different pattern).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 07:11 PM