Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Cracker
post Sep 1 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #321

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Adam - Sorry this has gone this way but you have also fueled "their" fire.

Back on Page 5 (I think) I offered this, "Don't even pay a moments notice to the naysayers. I'd just start ignoring the ridiculous posts telling you what to do, what not to do and why. Enjoy whatever you do: the process, the designing, the details and the driving."

Others have offered the same advice but you have consistently tried to convince or rationalize your position - it is a losing battle, lost cause, never-gonna-win, etc., etc.

I've seen this before on this forum...a few just don't know when to quit and do get very personal in their positions (attacking judgement, skills, touting "their skills", whatever it takes to annoy and distract. This thread WAS about your excitement to build this car...maybe it was a poll but I don't believe so!

Consider listening to some counsel (and learn to ignore) or stop logging in here - save yourself brother! They'd eventually go away if they didn't get the gratification of your responses.

A forum of enthusiasts should (and usually does) operate under the idea that everyone should show respect - not beating ones chest about their abilities (over another) - true or not. Its highly immature behavior and sticking up for a poster like that is equally childish. Share their differences of opinion, sure, but then shut up...it gets old hearing the same antagonistic arguments. I'd expect a moderator would've stepped in along time ago to keep this thread on his topic - not theirs (unless of course they simply sympathize with the "voices of dissent" and choose when to "moderate" and not).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 1 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #322

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2015, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 07:44 PM) *

Didn't call you any names. Just pointed out the obvious. Maybe you should look up some of my work. Then maybe you would realize I'm not being a jerk and I actually know what I'm talking about. No need to name call Just stick to the facts.

No, you didn't call me any names, just ripped apart a car I spent 5 years working on, so yes, that makes you a jerk, and I don't care what you've done, I really don't.
I'm working on a car, if it doesn't work out that's my business, but I heard all the same things when I started work on the last car, and yet, that car got finished and sold.

The work speaks for itself. One of the rules here is no name calling. No personal attacks. Ya, 5 years... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) to patch up a patch quilt of scraps. Guess we don't have to ever worry about you getting to cut this one up if it took that long with that end result. Feel sorry for the guy that bought it. Who was it that said there's one born every minute?

Do you know how many guys post here and show their projects? Every kind an level of skills. I can't say I have ever seen a car posted here that wasn't built with passion for the 914. Yours doesn't seem to be heading that way. You have no idea what we have done as a community for 914 people. Show some respect. Your not the great and powerful OZ here. Your just another car guy like the rest of us.

Like I said, Prove me wrong. If it turns out to be of a caliber that Porsche would have built himself as you claim that's your goal, I'm man enough to say I was wrong. Beyond that the history of a well know IMSA race car ends with you. You will be forever immortalized for that in books and magazines for years to come.

Actually, I noticed the editor of one of the best Porsche magazines reading this thread earlier today. A guy writing about IMSA history has posted in this thread. I think if you finish this car Adam, you will be forever known as the guy who used a historic IMSA race car to build a kit car. There's no way to get a stank like that off... You, or the car.
As for Rick's skills? Among the finest. No doubt. And if I asked him tomorrow to fly or drive across the country to help me finish my car, he'd try to make it happen. That is what he's made of. Lots of people here would.
You might want to look up the meaning of forum. It means *everyone* gets to express there opinion.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 1 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #323

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 2 2015, 12:35 AM) *

Adam - Sorry this has gone this way but you have also fueled "their" fire.

Back on Page 5 (I think) I offered this, "Don't even pay a moments notice to the naysayers. I'd just start ignoring the ridiculous posts telling you what to do, what not to do and why. Enjoy whatever you do: the process, the designing, the details and the driving."

Others have offered the same advice but you have consistently tried to convince or rationalize your position - it is a losing battle, lost cause, never-gonna-win, etc., etc.

I've seen this before on this forum...a few die-hards just don't know when to quit. Then they attack you, your judgement, your skills, whatever. Then ask for it to be shut down - and they're the ones causing the ruckus (with your support, unfortunately).

Adam - Start listening to wise counsel (and learn to ignore) or stop logging in - save yourself brother! They'd go away eventually and if they didn't I'd expect a moderator to step in (that should have happened along time ago though - unless they sympathize with the "voices"). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Actually, the moderators agree that he shouldn't touch that car. So yes, they sympathize.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 1 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #324

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Look...President Husabaa just met his girlfriend behind the republican party stage and they got naked. Not only that but Reverend Putukie just admitted to being on the email list of Ashley Madison! And, Donald Trump is about to come out on abortion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Pictures at 10.

Is that enough???

Now...will the admin lock this one down. and let Adam start a new unmolested thread.

We do want to see the build, and keep the politics out of it. If you'all Just spend 3 days reading his blogs on cars he's saved, and it's a no brainer...he's into saving cars. Just not always the way we we want.

Common guys..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Sep 1 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #325

Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

The stank? Hahahahaha!!! Dude stop just stop!

No one cared about the car until now. I think only Adam did! So he bought it and when he couldn't sell it. He did what he wanted with it..........

Progress pics please!!!!
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 1 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #326

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

It's time for everyone to take a breather.

Locking this down for the night.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 2 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #327

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

The 914 will be on display at the open house on Saturday Sept. 5th, if anyone wants to come check it out. Free food and probably a couple hundred Porsches will be about.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 2 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #328

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You sure have some interesting stuff.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 2 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #329

Advanced Member

You should see the wall art!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Sep 3 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #330

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

I believe it's your car so quit listening and arguing with others. Show us pictures and keep us updated.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 3 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #331

Advanced Member

QUOTE(AndyB @ Sep 3 2015, 06:08 PM) *

I believe it's your car so quit listening and arguing with others. Show us pictures and keep us updated.

That's the plan moving forward. I'm going to politely ask that anyone who doesn't like what I'm doing to follow the rules we all learned in 1st grade.

1. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
2. If you don't like what I'm building then please get out of my sandbox.

I think I took the bait too many times with people attacking my build, I'm henceforth going to ignore them but hopefully they will follow the rules above and those of us who like my idea will follow and add suggestions. I don't have much experience with 914's since we deal mostly with 356's, so I'm hoping the group can tell me the little details when I need the info.

And thanks for the many who have supported the build, I really appreciate it.
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Sep 4 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #332

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 4 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #333

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you want to see the IMSA car kept original, and can provide parts, labor or transportation towards a replacement chassis, PM me.

Otherwise it's time to let Adam have his build thread back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 7 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #334

Advanced Member

I want to take the talk of my car away from the IMSA thread.
To answer the last question about what I knew about the car.

The car was advertised as a former race car, but the only history the guy shared was that "it won some races" and he had a picture of the dash which showed it was a winner at Mid-Ohio and the SCCA Ozark Region, but even in my phone conversations he did not have any real info on the car, other then who he got it from. The car fit the bill as far as what I needed for my project, so I bought it. Once I bought it I contacted Jeff at Automotive Archelogy and he was able to give me the complete race history from when they ran it, but no mention of IMSA or Garretson. Only once I posted the car here did I have that information.

I hope this helps everyone understand a little better how this went down.
Here is the dash picture.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 7 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #335

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

It's your car, Adam, so I wouldn't even suggest what you should or shouldn't do with it.

But being an old man, not necessarily a wise old man, I will share this though ... I bought an old 911 back in the late 70's - picked it up for a song too (even by the monetary standards of that time). I had plans to update several things on it and basically hot-rod it, but career and family life got in the way.

As years went by, I started learning more about the car, and evidently, so did the Porsche community. I'm glad those years got in the way and I didn't go through with my original plans, as the car turned out to be one of the first 232 911s to come out of the factory's doors. For many years, it was just considered an old car with a declining monetary value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 7 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #336

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Cool project idea. There aren't many people who don't like the way 904s look, and there aren't many people who don't like the way 914s drive.

As for the drama, it's easy to see both sides:

Side 1
The car was bought based on available information, and bought well. It appeared to be a good and financially attractive basis as a six-cylinder 914—without the premium for a nice body or interior. Perfect for the project, in other words.

Side 2
The car is a piece of 914 history. It inspired models—models people have kept, models that offered for sale at collectible gatherings. The chassis has a LOT of its original pieces (cage, mirror, etc.). The original body still exists, and looks repairable.

It is unfortunate to see insults, personal attacks, and angry expletives on this forum. One can only assume we're seeing them because folks are passionate about this car, and because the targets feel attacked/belittled. However, it is difficult to see why the owner should allow his dream to be delayed or derailed to satisfy others. While that might be a reasonable wish, it is not a reasonable expectation.

Is a win-win possible? In exchange for the IMSA chassis, could a 914world member or members ship a GOOD, solid 914 chassis ready to accept the OP's power train (six mount, etc) and ready to be modified to accept the 904 body? Would the OP accept that, if it can be delivered during the time he is working out how to modify a 914 chassis to work under that 904 body using the "practice" car no one cares about? The OP keeps his powertrain and other desired mechanicals he got for a song (and understandably wants to keep) and gets a good body to plug them into and modify. The IMSA chassis could then be saved, repainted red, and reunited with its old body.

I've seen this board do more than that for members in the past, and this would be a chance for everyone to come out happy.

Jussayin...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 7 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #337

Apex killer!

I have been in PM contact with Adam and I have to say, I see his side. He bought a car that he thought no one wanted for $15K. Then after posting here, he discovers it is a former IMSA racer with wins. He'd like to have a good substitute for his chassis but lots of people are expecting him to just give it up for what he has in it. He should be able to get a suitable replacement if he is going to give up on the accidental IMSA racer purchase.
So what needs to happen to make everyone happy and Adam whole is there needs to be a buyer for the IMSA car at a fair market price and, Adam needs a good conversion chassis at a fair market price. I don't know Adam's finances so let's assume he can't buy the second while holding the first. Therefore, these two events need to happen pretty much simultaneously.
I believe Adam would go for this. But I also believe that he sees it as somewhat hopeless because no one wanted the IMSA car in all the years it was for sale.
What to do? Anyone know anyone interested in vintage racing with a real IMSA racer? Guys like Canepa and Adam Carolla do this a lot. Buy, restore, race. (Carolla is out, he is only interested in Datsuns for now)
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Sep 7 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #338

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 24 2015, 03:04 PM) *

And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.

Bring forth said car, for I owneth thy cutter of plasma-eth

Ha Ha you just lost....
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 8 2015, 05:27 AM
Post #339

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have received several pm's about this car. The consensus has been the car somehow slipped past us a community. I as others weren't shopping for this car or any car for that matter. Many of us have several now. Should this have been noticed by 914 guys that have a historic knowledge of IMSA it would not be facing it's current fate.

That said no deal can even be struck until Adam states the terms. We have achieved bigger things here than saving a car.

I am now just repeating the same stuff that has been posted here already. I believe Adam WAS offered another chassis wasn't he? Wasn't it a race car chassis? What does it take from there? Do we need to throw some money at it?
A mechanic that can remove and swap the engine and transaxle?
What is this "sorting" that needs to be addressed?
Do we fly out a group of guys to swap out the parts? We've done that before.

All questions that have been asked for half this thread. I've said my peace. Let me know if you guy's work something out. I don't mind helping out if I am able. Ball is in Adam's court.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 8 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #340

Advanced Member

Terms have been sent to first interested party. If he declines I will offer same terms to the group. I would love to see this chassis saved.

Based on the historical value of the car and the interest in it, I believe my terms are more than fair.
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 07:02 PM