Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody else still have their original tunnel fuel lines?
porschetub
post Jul 22 2016, 02:00 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 21 2015, 08:50 AM) *

I have the original lines in my '73 and '74. I know I should go stainless, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know how the upgrade works out, Lawrence. Not sure what all is involved to change them out.

A common "wifes tale" about the plastic lines failing as mentioned its the rubber hose that joins them up that fails after 40 plus years.....end of story,no offence to people than have gone to SS lines .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
74ravenna
post Jul 22 2016, 03:41 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,032
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 22 2016, 04:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 21 2015, 08:50 AM) *

I have the original lines in my '73 and '74. I know I should go stainless, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know how the upgrade works out, Lawrence. Not sure what all is involved to change them out.

A common "wifes tale" about the plastic lines failing as mentioned its the rubber hose that joins them up that fails after 40 plus years.....end of story,no offence to people than have gone to SS lines .

Though i don't have as much experience as most here, when i changed mine to ss the plastic lines in the engine bay were extremely brittle and i wouldn't trust them.
The plastic lines in the tunnel were ok but they had a lot of build-up on the inner wall so………

Again, i would not trust the engine bay lines. They snapped with a little rough handling.

Steve
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 22 2016, 05:20 AM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

How long do you think plastic lines last? The ones in my 71's would have all ready been 45 years old. Should I expect another 20-30 years from them? If I'm spending $40-50k to restore the car It's so much easier, safer, smarter to shove some stainless lines in the tunnel and call it done.

Edit - would I even think about leaving the plastic lines in the car if it was meant for my wife, son or daughter? What do you think?

+Quote Post
veekry9
post Jul 22 2016, 05:31 AM
Post #44

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Try to put your dilemma into aviation terms.Would you put anyone's life at risk flying with embrittled,cracked fuel lines?
Well,you couldn't,as there are rules regarding tbo,and scheduled maintenance.A car,why,you pull over and watch it burn.
The tires that came with the car have long been discarded as unsafe,for good reason.
Fragile plastic lines is an insurer's greenlight for a premium hike,'a Titanic meeting in your future'.
'Blew up real good'.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
/
If you smell gasoline,it's leaking.
/
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 22 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #45

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jul 22 2016, 03:31 AM) *

Try to put your dilemma into aviation terms.Would you put anyone's life at risk flying with embrittled,cracked fuel lines?
Well,you couldn't,as there are rules regarding tbo,and scheduled maintenance.A car,why you pull over and watch it burn.
The tires that came with the car have long been discarded as unsafe,for good reason.
Fragile plastic lines is an insurer's greenlight for a premium hike,'a Titanic meeting in your future'.
'Blew up real good'.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
/

It helps if the motor is already out. I fabbed my own and getting the front grommet back i was a nightmare. I made it harder by having fittings silver brazed on at both ends for AN line.
For the daily 914 I still have the plastic lines. They actually are pliable, as were the ones I took out. In front the tunnel is actually open to the cabin and that is where Porsche splurged on 18 inches of stainless, coupled to the plastic with rubber. Great.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jul 22 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 17,338

Shamefully still running plastic with the crappy carbs. I know I need to change them, but as my DD, I can't have the car down too long. Still catching up with other maintenance the PO's neglected.
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Jul 22 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #47

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

I installed stainless, by my own design, with the engine in place. When joining up the stainless beneath the tank, the short pieces of fabric covered hose were brittle and easily cracked off upon removal. We talk so much about the problem in the engine compartment, but the the tank end is not discussed much here. The tank lines are not stressed from heat, but from old age. Most of us don't think nor do new owners think to replace those bits of hose beneath the tank, since owners don't know nor realize how the fuel moves from the tank to the beginning of the fuel line. When pulling the old lines from the tunnel, I saw how tough and flexible the old lines were. HOWEVER the bit of exposed tubing in the engine compartment were degraded and brittle. In the end, regardless of how "healthy" you think the fuel lines are, it should be on the top of the replacement list after purchasing a teener.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 22 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #48

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

There's do doubt that replacing the lines with SS is a smart upgrade. But I feel it's most important to focus on the engine bay first because that's where the heat or potential leaks or ignition potentials are highest. How many fires start in the tunnel? More likely a fuel smell there would alert you in a hurry before it got risky.

Of the cars I've owned, the tunnel lines were indestructible and never a problem. Problems happen because of leaks. Focus on where leaks can happen first.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 23 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 19,670

None of the fuel lines leaked on the cars I own, but as part of the restore process and based on the potential for developing a leak, they will be replaced in there entirety.

The stainless replacements look good, and will probably use, But have been looking at other alternatives to SS.

+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jul 23 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #50

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2016, 08:33 PM) *

There's do doubt that replacing the lines with SS is a smart upgrade. But I feel it's most important to focus on the engine bay first because that's where the heat or potential leaks or ignition potentials are highest. How many fires start in the tunnel? More likely a fuel smell there would alert you in a hurry before it got risky.

Of the cars I've owned, the tunnel lines were indestructible and never a problem. Problems happen because of leaks. Focus on where leaks can happen first.

If only it were so Rand, please read my post #37 in this chain, tunnel lines do just let go when you least expected! I thought I was going to be a flaming goner!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 23 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jul 22 2016, 12:52 PM) *

Shamefully still running plastic with the crappy carbs. I know I need to change them, but as my DD, I can't have the car down too long. Still catching up with other maintenance the PO's neglected.

Carbs (should be!) run at a much lower pressure so it's not nearly as much of a concern but still give the ones in the engine bay a good look over. Not implying yours are being run incorrectly, just remembering a couple of unrelated stories we've heard over the years. We're talking 3-5 psi vs 25-30.

I'd agree that the portion of the line that is really of the most concern (except for oakdalecurtis, yikes!!! someone must have punctured that!) is once it exits the firewall. Heat cycles of course, and the potential for battery acid exposure are the issues. Also the later lines are said to be much safer. Don't have any scientific proof of that but mine were pretty pliable after 35 years. Battery acid had taken out a portion of the engine compartment lines (I assume) so the last few feet had been replaced when I bought it. I bought a very rusty '73 2.0 with about 60k miles in 2000 and when I took the engine out the fuel lines just crumbled away like nothing. BTW that engine went to a young Charles Navarro. That was pre-IMS bearing fix collaboration.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jul 23 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 19,670

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 23 2016, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jul 22 2016, 12:52 PM) *

Carbs (should be!) run at a much lower pressure so it's not nearly as much of a concern but still give the ones in the engine bay a good look over. Not implying yours are being run incorrectly, just remembering a couple of unrelated stories we've heard over the years. We're talking 3-5 psi vs 25-30.

I'd agree that the portion of the line that is really of the most concern (except for oakdalecurtis, yikes!!! someone must have punctured that!) is once it exits the firewall. Heat cycles of course, and the potential for battery acid exposure are the issues. Also the later lines are said to be much safer. Don't have any scientific proof of that but mine were pretty pliable after 35 years. Battery acid had taken out a portion of the engine compartment lines (I assume) so the last few feet had been replaced when I bought it. I bought a very rusty '73 2.0 with about 60k miles in 2000 and when I took the engine out the fuel lines just crumbled away like nothing. BTW that engine went to a young Charles Navarro. That was pre-IMS bearing fix collaboration.

Well then why mess around with any fuel line supply lines?

Just replace it. Still cheaper than a burned car or even worse a burned you!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 23 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #53

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 23 2016, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 22 2016, 08:33 PM) *

If only it were so Rand, please read my post #37 in this chain, tunnel lines do just let go when you least expected! I thought I was going to be a flaming goner!

Can't argue with that. Glad it didn't burn.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 24 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #54

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Factory lines still on my '73.

The previous owner recommend new lines when I replace the dead motor, mentioned lines have been hacked by other previous owners.

Going with brand new SS instead of trying to source good used plastic lines.

40 year old car, do you know every single owner or mechanic that has worked in the car? Have you inspected every inch of the line when you 1st took possession of the car?

Just things to think about....
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 12:54 AM