Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A few questions?/introduction
Stacks914
post Apr 2 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

Will do thanks guys!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Apr 2 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I can tell you from experience that when entering the concours is not your ultimate goal, one can "build" a new interior at a fraction of the cost of sourcing all of the tidbits and kits required to do a factory-look interior.

In my case, my 71 is a go-car verses a show car so the full duct tape interior that was present when I purchased the car went into the trash can first off. Then, as mentioned earlier, I scoured the car for rust and found very little and none on any panels in and around the interior of the vehicle.

Along the way to a working daily driver's interior,
I installed:
- domestic German-looking grey square weave carpet from A-1 Foam and Fabric local to SoCal / glued where permanent, and black edge bound where visible edges would be exposed to wear or sight such as the floor mats etc.
- glued domestic German-looking grey square weave carpet on the backpad with edge binding at the rear glass and moved the interior light to a forward dash location within the innards of the obsolete ash tray (so that when you pull out the ash tray, you are actually pulling out the map light to shine down on your sloppy shifter's knob
- two racing bucket seats with superior lower back support to stock seats with
four point harness belts
- a dash cap to hide the San Andreas model dash pad
- a dash recovering kit / made from black vinyl matching the original
- two door panels using the old warped ones as templates
- a manual throttle / very handy on warm up phase on a carbed engine
- a three gauge cluster and deposit box as a center console to tell me what time my engine overheated, caught fire or would have an electrical short from the battery to any of twelve gas lines made of brittle plastic..... replace those lines first thing after you purchase a good portable fire extinguisher and keep it in the car at all times - an do not use a hose clamp to hold it in place as that defeats the immediate access needed when you see flames

a few other little items along the way such as new bulbs in gauges, refurbed by gas tank sender, and learned how to easily tune valves, timing, etc.

Have fun

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Apr 3 2015, 12:48 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

Forest that doesn't look all that bad! I would like a decent looking car but was just wondering if anyone "skimps" in certain areas and looks decent. If it looks too bad I will just pony up cash. Though I will probably take your some of your thoughts on the carpet. Thr car kinda looks like it is sagging a bit in bottom and want to reinforce a bit more then it is. The more I am taking this car apart the more yellow I am seeing. The tunnel that runs through the center of the car is cut up so bad I just stare at it. i think someone caulked it back together. I wonder how I am gonna weld it with wires and gas lines through there then screwed in straps over there....One part says fix n drive the other part says just sell the engine, seats, tranny, dash, wheels./tires, suspension, trim, hood, trunk, lights, and get that thing on a rotisserie and start welding in a cage and see if I can find a salvaged subie for powerttrain/suspension.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 3 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #24

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Pictures would help. Though the comments they elicit might not make you happy. (Especially from those of us in low-rust areas, where we scrap 914s that qualify as "drivers" in the Rust Belt.)

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 04:40 AM