Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PDK Transmission, who else does this
naro914
post Apr 28 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #21

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2015, 02:52 PM) *

Let me see if I can get my hands on a boxster tranny and get that settled because I am tired of waiting for someone to do it for us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

rich

Someone has...and it cost a fortune. That's why I decided not to do it. The guys at Powertech did it for a customer a few years back. I have a copy of the receipt/work order and I talked to Keith over there. He said it was much harder than even they thought....when you see a line item that says "Discount.....$15,100" you can only imagine what the total bill was.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2015, 01:23 PM
Post #22

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 27 2015, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 27 2015, 05:19 PM) *

Mike, thats a R8.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I know! How awesome would that be in a 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

I've wondered for a long time how one could possibly make a driveshaft go through the engine like Audi but never come up with a good economical solution (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 28 2015, 11:52 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 28 2015, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2015, 10:49 PM) *

Because I am cheap.

I don't think there will be a cheap way to do this. If we can't figure out a simple/cheap way to mate a manual Boxster trans to an air cooled engine, I can't even imagine how much more complicated this would be.

The PDK type trans is fully integrated with the engine management system, which is fully integrated with the engine (obviously). They work as a unit, not individually, so I'm not even sure it would be possible without doing both.

Honestly, the cheapest option would be to buy a very cheap Boxster Tiptronic (which can be had for under $10k) and use all of engine/trans/wiring/ECU for it.

A few things....

I am looking for a rear engine solution, but if a boxster tranny is available for a setup, I will design and figure out what needs to be done to bolt it to our motor.
Its a bell housing that needs to be swapped over and a clutch/pressure plate we need to use that works with the motor....

For the PDK, yes, its integrated with the car, but it has its own computer and its reading throttle body, speed, and a few other sensors that could all be setup using a different interface.

Again, I am NOT looking for the porsche PDK tranny...I am looking for something cheaper like a subaru/toyota/whatever to be able to create a solution that will actually work....

I know I could buy a PDK and at that point it makes sense to buy a late model 911 and call it a day...
That defeats the purpose.

Let me see if I can get my hands on a boxster tranny and get that settled because I am tired of waiting for someone to do it for us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

rich

Rear engine solution? Grab a FWD setup and flip the diff... A3's used a DSG IIRC.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #24

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 28 2015, 07:04 AM) *

Why dual clutch? Paddle shifters are becoming a standard on FWD sports sedans and some RWD. From Hyundai RWD used on 3.8 and 5.0L motors:

"TRANSMISSIONS
The automatic transmissions for both engines have 8-speeds, with an enhanced paddle-shifter design for the SHIFTRONIC® manual-shifting capability. In addition, the 8-speed automatic now precisely rev-matches engine RPM to the exact selected-gear speed, for smooth downshifts into corners and superb dynamic balance.

Both engines are mated to standard six-speed manual transmissions that feature new carbon synchronizer rings for smoother shift action and enhanced synchronizer durability. Each transmission has been specifically tuned to match its engine’s unique power and torque curve characteristics.

In addition to the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, each automatic offers shift capability via the shift lever according to individual driver preference. A clear LCD readout on the instrument panel shows the selected gear at all times for the driver."

Looks like paddle shift options are growing yearly.

My wife's Genesis coupe is a 2.0T 8 speed auto with this paddle shifter.

Nothing close to a DSG in terms of shifting speed, and its got horrible tech (Wont hold a gear, cant tune it or make it shift harder). But its a wonderful trani that can hold a LOT of power.. But its a RWD trani, Nothing that can be used in a mid or rear application.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 28 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 28 2015, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 28 2015, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2015, 10:49 PM) *

Because I am cheap.

I don't think there will be a cheap way to do this. If we can't figure out a simple/cheap way to mate a manual Boxster trans to an air cooled engine, I can't even imagine how much more complicated this would be.

The PDK type trans is fully integrated with the engine management system, which is fully integrated with the engine (obviously). They work as a unit, not individually, so I'm not even sure it would be possible without doing both.

Honestly, the cheapest option would be to buy a very cheap Boxster Tiptronic (which can be had for under $10k) and use all of engine/trans/wiring/ECU for it.

A few things....

I am looking for a rear engine solution, but if a boxster tranny is available for a setup, I will design and figure out what needs to be done to bolt it to our motor.
Its a bell housing that needs to be swapped over and a clutch/pressure plate we need to use that works with the motor....

For the PDK, yes, its integrated with the car, but it has its own computer and its reading throttle body, speed, and a few other sensors that could all be setup using a different interface.

Again, I am NOT looking for the porsche PDK tranny...I am looking for something cheaper like a subaru/toyota/whatever to be able to create a solution that will actually work....

I know I could buy a PDK and at that point it makes sense to buy a late model 911 and call it a day...
That defeats the purpose.

rich

Rear engine solution? Grab a FWD setup and flip the diff... A3's used a DSG IIRC.

That's the same one the GTI has. That thing is AMAZING. 6 speed. The A4 has a similar 7 speed. I'd totally re-swap my setup for that gearbox, that's how good it is. The engine's not bad either... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Sounds like it might be above my technical skill level...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 28 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #26

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

034 Motorsport told me they could build a DSG that would fit in my 914. I'm not sure of the cost but I bet it would be North of $5k.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 28 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #27

Spooling.... Please wait

A DSG would be great for a big turbo application, but I have heard issues with the trans holding high HP levels..

I think the electronics there are above my mental capacity....
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Apr 29 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,782

I wonder how the PDK or others like it modulate taking off from a stop ? Surely some kind of PWM electronic setup. Just saying unless I just don't have the PDK operation
understood.
With my car an auto with 5 or 6 gears would free me up to drive the car. Things happen fast and these days I'm a bit slower (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
People always talk about the HP/torque eating up the transmissions (auto) but in newer 911 models pack plenty of power and seem to do well.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 29 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #29

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 28 2015, 11:57 PM) *

I wonder how the PDK or others like it modulate taking off from a stop ? Surely some kind of PWM electronic setup. Just saying unless I just don't have the PDK operation
understood.
With my car an auto with 5 or 6 gears would free me up to drive the car. Things happen fast and these days I'm a bit slower (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
People always talk about the HP/torque eating up the transmissions (auto) but in newer 911 models pack plenty of power and seem to do well.

I drove a 2015 Cayman S with a PDK it was FUCHING awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Put it in Auto and it shifts for you. It hung on to the shift points a little and was quite sporty.

Throw it in manual and you paddle through the gears. Gear to gear shift is very quick. when you come to a stop, it shifts into first automatically similar to any other manual shifting automatic.

I don't really understand you modulate question. What ever the PDK does is seamless. I would absolutely buy one if given the chance.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 29 2015, 11:06 AM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

rich

I found the Boxster drawing, now to find the /6 or /4 bell housing equivalent drawing with dimensions.

....edit...found some 3D models of some Porsche air-cooled transmissions.

3D model of a G50

Is is safe to say that a G50 would bolt up to a Type IV?

Boxster dims below
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 09:14 PM