Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clicking noise at diff shaft
john77
post Sep 1 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

I pulled both my axles to replace the diff shaft seals on my transmission a couple of weeks ago and have noticed my diff is now making a loud clicking noise if I rock the car back and forth. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and it was there before I did the work.

There is play in the shaft, with the back wheels off the ground I can rotate the wheel a little either way before the diff engages. The video below is the car parked and me just rocking it back and forth. I torqued the trans flange bolt to 19ft/lbs.

https://youtu.be/_Fd0a1WgzHM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 1 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Is this normal? No.

Check your torque on the bolts. Did you reuse the bolts?
+Quote Post
john77
post Sep 1 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 1 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Is this normal? No.

Check your torque on the bolts. Did you reuse the bolts?

I reused all the bolts - the single bolt both sides on the trans flange and all the bolts for the CV joints. I'm guessing by your question that I wasn't supposed to...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 1 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #4

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Reusing the output hub flange bolts is fine, but it's recommended to use new bolts for the CV joints.

Does the clicking only emanate from one side of the trans? I wonder if you have a bad CV joint on your hands?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 1 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 1 2015, 11:10 PM) *

Reusing the output hub flange bolts is fine, but it's recommended to use new bolts for the CV joints.

Does the clicking only emanate from one side of the trans? I wonder if you have a bad CV joint on your hands?

Yes. What he said is what I meant... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
john77
post Sep 1 2015, 10:48 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 1 2015, 08:10 PM) *

It seems to be coming from the passenger side. I was told by the PO that the CV joints are off a vanagon. The axles are welded onto one of the CV joints rather than using circlips, and the CV joint at the other end just slides off with nothing holding it to the axle.

Is there a right and a wrong orientation for the CV joint?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 2 2015, 05:59 AM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

The cv is welded to the axle? I'd toss that axle and get a used one. The other CV that has no circlip is a disaster waiting to happen. The cvs are not reversible. You should return all that hacked up crap to original. I don't know about the van cv's, but the type I vw's will fit but lacks the machined lip that the gasket sits on.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2015, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Believe it or not Tangerine Racing's have a machined lip:

Type 1 CVs

These are the only ones I found that do. Chris must machine them or pay to have them done. Well worth the extra $20 or so to get the stock gasket to fit. Been researching CVs since I'm getting pretty good at breaking the old ones.

I agree with Curt, neither of the scenarios you describe sounds good. You don't want it welded on, and you don't want it to slip off with no circlip either. It will just slip out eventually.

BTW I got my new CVs and the difference between a new CV and an old rattly one is pretty surprising. The new one feels solid, very little movement, ready to work. The old one felt easy to move in and out, much more loose.
+Quote Post
john77
post Sep 2 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 2 2015, 05:19 AM) *

Type 1 CVs

These are the only ones I found that do. Chris must machine them or pay to have them done. Well worth the extra $20 or so to get the stock gasket to fit. Been researching CVs since I'm getting pretty good at breaking the old ones.

I agree with Curt, neither of the scenarios you describe sounds good. You don't want it welded on, and you don't want it to slip off with no circlip either. It will just slip out eventually.

BTW I got my new CVs and the difference between a new CV and an old rattly one is pretty surprising. The new one feels solid, very little movement, ready to work. The old one felt easy to move in and out, much more loose.

Ugh, thanks Curt/Chris, obviously not what i wanted to hear, but good to know. What is the life expectancy of a cv joint? I ax the car once a month and drive it daily - my commute's only about a 5 mile round trip though.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 2 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 2 2015, 08:19 AM) *

Chris must machine them or pay to have them done.

We do the work in-house, as well as drilling for the roll pins.
We also turn the inner race around for a better fit on the axle shaft.

I recently found a good source for Lobro CVs so that's what we're selling now instead of the EMPIs which occasionally have come apart in rough service.

I've never seen a CV welded to an axle before.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Sep 2 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #11

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

Type 1 CVs

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ....... so how much movement "in and out" is ok?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 2 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #12

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 2 2015, 02:12 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ....... so how much movement "in and out" is ok?

Its not so much how far they move, but how loose they feel when being moved.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Sep 2 2015, 12:46 PM
Post #13

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 2 2015, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 2 2015, 02:12 PM) *

Its not so much how far they move, but how loose they feel when being moved.

Ok. So, do you mean "play" as in up and down when moving in and out?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 2 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm not the expert that Racer Chris is, but as he described, mine felt "loose". The inner race moved a lot more than it should when shaken back and forth holding just the outer part compared to the new one. There was "play", but it wasn't obvious until you compared it to a new one. With a V8 you'll find out right away if yours are OK or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif).

BTW Chris has a great solution to the 914 CV problem. I didn't find anything else out there like it. Well..except for NOS 914 CV's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 2 2015, 01:17 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 2 2015, 07:17 AM) *

Type 1 CVs

Ugh, thanks Curt/Chris, obviously not what i wanted to hear, but good to know. What is the life expectancy of a cv joint? I ax the car once a month and drive it daily - my commute's only about a 5 mile round trip though.

I'd be more concerned about your life expectancy with the way you describe the set up that was put together.

Pull both your axles and assemble the CV's per spec. and stay off the freeway until then.

My .02.
+Quote Post
john77
post Sep 2 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 2 2015, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 2 2015, 07:17 AM) *

Type 1 CVs

I'd be more concerned about your life expectancy with the way you describe the set up that was put together.

Pull both your axles and assemble the CV's per spec. and stay off the freeway until then.

My .02.

I totally hear you. I've spoken to Chris, and his CV joints won't fit - mine are 6 bolt, as opposed to the 4 bolt/2pin lobro joints - but he's kindly offered to help me figure out what I do need.

The weird thing is I've ran this set up for 18 months and 12 AX events with no problems. The problem only started when I pulled it to replace the diff shaft seal.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:44 PM