Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Couldn't Help Myself, Have her home now, pics added
somd914
post Dec 14 2015, 04:52 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 13 2015, 11:34 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 13 2015, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 13 2015, 02:41 PM) *

I was trying to find a tricked out Miata in the bumper reflection.

Yah, he graduated last spring and is working on this side of the Bay, so you won't find the tricked out miata running around Salisbury anymore either.

I'll stage a pic and send it your way...

Salisbury, eh? I spent a fair amount of my time in Easton with my in-laws (and I know what you mean about summer temps on the Eastern Shore). I'm hoping to spend more time there at some point. No hill climbs, but fair number of twisty back roads that are probably fun in a teener.

Yep, lots of twisties around here. Really flat. I work only 19 miles from where I live and it's virtually a straight shot by highway. I take the back roads every chance I get just for the turns.

But speaking of summer on Delmarva...it's been very unseasonably warm here all month. Over 70 again today and the humidity is way up. The flies are back and some trees are budding. It's a bit strange coming up to Christmas and we're wearing shorts and T's again. Heck, I broke my motorcycle out yesterday.

I'm over the other side of the Chesapeake from TargaToy, about 40 miles as a crow flies, but 160 miles via roads due to the Bay. Pretty much the same here, mainly back roads, flat. The best roads in the area are through the Mennonite and Amish areas, but the roads are frequented with buggies, bicycles, pedestrians, and littered with horse droppings - not a good area to enjoy driving.

As mentioned, temps are crazy warm for this time of year - 60 degrees at the moment (5:45 AM) but the dew is like rain - soaked out there, and garage dehumidifier is pumping out August-like amounts of water. Hmmm, Porsche to work this morning and wash it when I get home...?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Dec 14 2015, 06:27 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 14 2015, 08:02 AM) *

I guess I am addict... Bought another '73, will pick her up next weekend.

This one was a stalled project that sat for several years due to health issues. A friend of a friend who is a long-time reputable 356 mechanic/restorer purchased her (friends with the owner who started the project) and put her together sans new paint. I wasn't in the market, but this was one of those Cars and Coffee deals that I couldn't pass up.

It's the proverbial SOCAL rust free car - yes, we've all heard that before, but the body is exceptionally clean and solid, had been re-sprayed at some point but trunks, door jambs, and underside are original paint. Engine is a fresh FAT Performance 2258 that outshines my 2056, new brakes, 5 bolt conversion, new suspension, re-chromed bumpers, wart removal, etc. Also comes with a large parts stash which I will likely sell most of it. Holding receipts for engine and parts north of $20k...

Ravenna green isn't my favorite, but I will stick with it - not going the expense of a proper color change.

Given the reputation of the mechanic who put it together, and given the overall condition, how could I say no? Am I crazy?

More pics next weekend once I get her home.

I know the addiction part, I now have 3. ! running, 1 a ground up restoration and another for parts....One can never have too many 14's
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 14 2015, 10:22 AM
Post #43

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 11:52 AM) *
Just basing it on what I've read and our 90-95 degree summer temps. Seems most feel for temps like this on the larger displacement engines an external cooler is needed, but this is new territory for me.

Thoughts on a head temp gauge? One side or both?

Head temp != oil temp. In fact, the two sometimes move opposite directions with load and RPM. If you're trying to figure out if you need a cooler, use an oil temp gauge.

As for head temps, both sides is probably better than one. One may be better than zero, but only if you use a decent quality gauge. (Like an aircraft one; the common inexpensive VDO ones are not the greatest.)

--DD
+Quote Post
somd914
post Dec 14 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 14 2015, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 11:52 AM) *
Just basing it on what I've read and our 90-95 degree summer temps. Seems most feel for temps like this on the larger displacement engines an external cooler is needed, but this is new territory for me.

Thoughts on a head temp gauge? One side or both?

Head temp != oil temp. In fact, the two sometimes move opposite directions with load and RPM. If you're trying to figure out if you need a cooler, use an oil temp gauge.

As for head temps, both sides is probably better than one. One may be better than zero, but only if you use a decent quality gauge. (Like an aircraft one; the common inexpensive VDO ones are not the greatest.)

--DD

Yes, I understand that head and oil temps are different, have to give some thought to the occasional inverse relationship.

My plan is to replace the stock oil temp gauge and go with one that has temperatures on it's face rather than the simple red zone. Once summer hits I'll make a call on external oil cooler based on knowing what oil temps really are. Can say based on shooting an IR thermometer on various sump locations temps are reading in the 190 range with the factory gauge close to center.

I also plan to look into dual aircraft head temp gauges as I've heard from other sources also that the VDO gauges are iffy and not temp corrected.

Thanks for the feedback.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 06:02 PM