Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just soliciting ideas - tired of my /6 smell.
matthepcat
post Dec 10 2015, 09:08 AM
Post #21

Meat Popsicle

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I have owned a v8 conversion car. The "cut up" comment is not just the body. It's drilling holes, it adding/modifying wiring, it's modifying the transaxle and CV upgrades plus the modification of flares to fit bigger rubber.

Cost wise is always better to buy a stalled project, unless you plan to do an uber custom conversion.

M
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 9 2015, 07:00 PM) *

This comment is too funny and often repeated ad nauseam regarding swaps. I have seen so many 914's with what appears to be roughly 25% of the metal cut away for restoration and repair - are you kidding me about the conversion cutting? Its absolutely minimal. With that logic, no one would be restoring them - just let them rot away.

If I were you, I'd go to a 3.6 but even that wouldn't been as flexible or compliant as a nice LS motor. Just stop already with the lousy excuses over cutting cars. Hilarious it is...

You have to determine if this car is your's for the long run...if so, those aircooled motors will be taking your money (forever). If you got it, no problem, you can feed the beast.

The cost would be subtsantial to do a nice LS - basically a 15-20K deal to do it nicely - just keep that in mind. It takes a bit of time too. Go for the 3.6 - 3.2 would be my second choice (if I were you).

Tony

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Dec 9 2015, 02:44 PM) *

I agree with mepstein. Go 3.2...what do you have to loose other than money?

Going water-cooled conversion would be better to start with a car than has been cut up for it already.

Matt

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 10 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have rebuilt hundreds of engines in my life and about 30 911 based engines over the last 10 years or so. The 911 engine itself is a very robust and typically are not big smokers unless they sit allot or in your case probably have aluisil cylinders and they tend to have issues with rings and will smoke. I used some QSC cylinders on my turbo build about 6 years ago and they were great. cost about 1k and bought them from supertec. I also used JE pistons. I drove the car a fair amount and it only smoked when it sat for extended periods but only for a few seconds. I ran a 3.2 intake with MEga squirt and it worked flawlessly. I did not smell like the car etc.

Now when I had carbs on a 2.7 of mine I always smelled like carbs.. I am a long way away from being ready to make any final decsions but I will probably do another 3.2 intake on what ever engine I decide on and do megasquirt or something similar.

I am guessing carbs are the majority of your issues. Really consider ITB's or something else like that or swap a complete 3.2 in. The 3.2's are nice engines and as many have mention the cost difference is probably not a huge amount once you sell your 3.0
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Dec 10 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

I recently rebuilt my 3.0 weber six, which did help some on smell but didn't cure the problem. Cured start up smoke.

I found out recently part of the problem is webers typically run 11.5:1 afr at a cruise which doesn't help. Also they are typically pretty rich at idle. A few tricks I've learned that help- When you first start up your car and its really stinky, rollup all your windows and leave the top on when you leave the house. Also buy an AFR gauge and tune your idle afr to be 14-15:1. These two items kept me from being a stinky bastard...

You can also lean out your idle circuit some, but it will create a less desirable transition to the main circuit on the carbs...

Another solution is PMO ITB's, if you have the time to dedicate it looks to take about 2 months to complete it as a weekend project and cost about $6-7k (and you can sell the webers)

I considered a 3.2, but was concerned of the actual condition of the motor I'd get. Plus I love the sound and simplicity of carbs. If it were my daily driver I may have gone 3.2 for the efi perks.

good luck!
+Quote Post
bretth
post Dec 10 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a set of Zeniths which I haven't run yet. Curious if they are any less stinky than the Webers in anyone's experience.

Brett
+Quote Post
patssle
post Dec 10 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,741

Plus I love the sound and simplicity of carbs

Yeah I just did some quick research. ITBs do look nice but certainly add some complexity to the car. My car has been stripped of non-essentials so it's about as basic as possible which I enjoy. But it's definitely something that warrants more in-depth research of what is needed to make it possible.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 11 2015, 07:03 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 10 2015, 03:09 PM) *

I have a set of Zeniths which I haven't run yet. Curious if they are any less stinky than the Webers in anyone's experience.

Brett

Not much if any.. I have considered converting zenith s to itbs as the value is way less then webers
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BK911
post Dec 12 2015, 06:32 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,674

Do a leak down test before anything else.
You have no idea if the engine needs rebuilding.
Oil leaks are usually pretty easy to find and repair.
Get everything clean, run the car, and look for fresh oil.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 12 2015, 06:50 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Some yrs ago I purchased a 1980 911SC with about 120K miles on the clock which had a bad oil leak. Turns out it was the oil pressure transducer that sits on top of the engine. This of course dripped down onto the H/E's. Could not get to it without pulling the motor. While I was in there, I pulled the heads & cylinders in order to inspect everything to that point. Had access to precision inspection equipment back then. The Nickisal cylinders still had cross hatch marks and were within OEM tolerance for bore size. The valve guides were also within OEM size, so all I did was a lap in valve job, new rings, pressure fed chain tensioners, and a gasket set. Got out pretty cheap other that jet hot coating the whole exhaust system. Of course this engine had the OEM CIS injection system, that yr was the first to use feedback from a lambda sensor wench helped me get the idle mixture correct.
Not sure which 3.0 motors ted the Nickles cylinders, but don't be too discouraged.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 12 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #29

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Is the smell an oil smell? I saw the question a few posts ago but not an answer.

I have a 2056 T4 with webers and I get the oil smell in the cabin with heat.

I've tried to mount the crankcase breathers right on the carb filters. It helps but when I let off the gas the smell gets stronger.

Trying to figure out how to get the air from the breathers to go 100% into the carbs. I'm close but still need some adjustments.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 12 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #30

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Bruce (Flat6pak) on the Pelican site rebuilt my 3.2. Now, we have not installed it in the car or fired it yet, so I can only comment on working with Bruce. He was a terrific guy to work with and kept me well informed and updated throughout the project. We spent at least an hour on the phone talking about the build specs before he touched the motor. His advise is what I needed and relied upon to build an engine for my Six that would be bullet proof.

Now I did not want a "race" motor. I wanted a solid 3.2 with the original Motronic injection that would start and run perfectly every time. The only real upgrade to the 3.2 was the 964 cams and a custom Steve Wong chip. I would guess I am into the completed motor for <$11K, including purchasing the motor. I think that is very reasonable and hope that when Scotty installs it and turns the key it fires immediately and runs perfectly forever.

I seriously considered a 3.6 for my car. But in the end I believed the 3.6 would be overkill for what I wanted. I am not going to be tracking or auto crossing my car. It is just going to be a fun street driver for mostly around town and some local trips. The 3.2 ticked off all of the boxes and the was that.

OH, I found my 3.2 by placing a WTB in the Pelican classified section. A word of caution here. The motor was represented as being a slight smoker with 40K miles on it that had never been opened up. Now, I planned from day one at the minimum to split the cases and have it refreshed and resealed to provide me some comfort as to future performance and reliability. However, once Bruce got my engine it became clear it had been opened up before so we ended up doing more than expected to make it right. I am not mad about that, but a little upset the seller, a long-time Pelican member, misrepresented the motor. In the end, I am much better off knowing Bruce did a full rebuild as now I won't worry about the motor. Money well spent.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 12 2015, 12:26 PM
Post #31

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 12 2015, 07:50 AM) *

Not sure which 3.0 motors ted the Nickles cylinders, but don't be too discouraged.

On the 3.0 there is a fin count method, You would have to look up the details.
Doesn't work on most other sizes IIRC.

On the sound/smell issues. besides other things mentioned above, I'd try a stock /6 air cleaner.
Many say it's less noise, more power and not as much fumes.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Dec 12 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 12 2015, 05:46 AM) *

Is the smell an oil smell? I saw the question a few posts ago but not an answer.

I think it's more fuel especially with the carb comments from others. I need to get an AFR tool and see if they need tweaking.
+Quote Post
achman_73_2.0
post Dec 12 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 16,577

Just a suggestion...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-v8/
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Dec 13 2015, 11:20 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(BK911 @ Dec 12 2015, 04:32 AM) *

Do a leak down test before anything else.
You have no idea if the engine needs rebuilding.
Oil leaks are usually pretty easy to find and repair.
Get everything clean, run the car, and look for fresh oil.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) These motors can go for many miles. I pulled mine apart because of start-up smoke and decel smoke (was just going to do valve guides, but it turned into a larger project).
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 13 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Converted my car to a freshly rebuilt 2.2 six with Webers, and have to say I don't much care for the smell of fuel—which is now ever present if I bring the car home and park it in the garage, and we tuned these carbs on the dyno.

I suspect the smell might be reduced, but I also suspect we've really been spoiled by how "unsmelly" modern cars are.

ITBs, or something else, sounds pretty appealing, to be honest.

Pete
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Dec 14 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 9 2015, 04:10 AM) *

Is the smell oil or fuel? The Webers will certainly smell much more than a fuel injection system as they're vented to the air (especially with today's fuels). You may want to consider converting to a fuel injection system and sell the Webers to help offset the cost of the conversion. I personally would recommend keeping the Porsche engine in the car.

This is the first question you need to answer for yourself, it leads to the options that will solve the root of the problem.

FI is a great solution to fuel smell caused by carbs and there are systems that retain individual throttle bodies and the crisp throttle response you have with the carbs. They also enable a more precise fuel curve which helps with drivability, cold start, fuel economy, etc.

If it's an oil burning smell then it's likely leaks like others have said and you can tackle most with limited mechanicing experience.

Good luck and keep us posted.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 14 2015, 02:42 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2015, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 12 2015, 07:50 AM) *

On the 3.0 there is a fin count method, You would have to look up the details.
Doesn't work on most other sizes IIRC.

On the sound/smell issues. besides other things mentioned above, I'd try a stock /6 air cleaner.
Many say it's less noise, more power and not as much fumes.

Excellent points,I have researched this after buying my motor years ago and the late great Bruce Anderson had dyno'd a six with K&N and stock air cleaner,the K&N's lost 1hp over the stock filter and then theres the issue of fuming as mentioned.
In the 914 there is also the issue of of rain water getting in the K&N's,not good for any engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 01:56 PM