Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lessons learned, ..regarding Koni Sport adjustables...
Krieger
post Mar 23 2016, 08:00 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 23 2016, 06:02 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 22 2016, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 21 2016, 08:42 AM) *

There should be a clip under the lower spring mount you can move down.

The threaded coil-over collar is down as far as it can go...no further down

But did you see from the pic, there is a snap ring on the shock itself. You have to remove everything from the shock to get to it. Spring, threaded collar, etc. If your setup came all assembled, you wouldn't be able to see this clip.

I think the threaded collars can be flipped as well.

IIRC my Ground Control threaded collars only went on one way. I thought of cutting the ID of the collar further down, but decided to have a machinist cut two or three more grooves into the shock body to get the car lower. They were the same depth and spacing as the others. I was running 225# springs, but recently switched to 200#.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 23 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #22

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

8" springs is the only way to get the ride height low enough.
The top perch can be drilled out to float on the shock shaft.
That might allow the threaded collar to screw on a bit farther, thus allowing the nut to go on fully.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 23 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I pulled apart a spare set of Koni 8241 1050SPORT shocks with Ground Control adjustable springs to see exactly what was going on here. I tried to include a lot of pictures here so you can compare what I'm seeing with yours.

There is a 'ridge' section on the shock shaft that the spring hat is supposed to seat on. I was able to tighten the top collar-nut with the hat catching an edge and not seating correctly. And I included a picture of how much thread is showing when that problem happens. Looks quite a lot like what you're seeing.

It also took a bit of effort to knock the hat off the 'ridge' when I first disassembled it. So if the machining on the hat/ridge isn't quite matched, your hat may not be seating all the way. Check that the top of the 'ridge' is flush with the hat (see picture).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Mar 23 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 255
Region Association: Southwest Region

The Koni 8641-1077 Sport insert for the front 914 strut will work on Boge struts but not Koni housings. If you have Koni housings you'll need the 911 insert 8641-1039 Sport and this gland nut:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni-Gland...25.01.011.1.htm

The 911 insert is shaped a bit differently and will drop right in the Koni housing. We do this stuff all the time.
+Quote Post
Gearup
post Apr 15 2016, 03:23 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,660

QUOTE(Paragon @ Mar 23 2016, 05:09 PM) *

The Koni 8641-1077 Sport insert for the front 914 strut will work on Boge struts but not Koni housings. If you have Koni housings you'll need the 911 insert 8641-1039 Sport and this gland nut:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni-Gland...25.01.011.1.htm

The 911 insert is shaped a bit differently and will drop right in the Koni housing. We do this stuff all the time.

Ok, so I was just about to purchase the Ground control setup for the rears with bilstein shocks. GC has told me to go with 10 inch springs. I want to make sure I am able to lower my GT to the ride heights I commonly see pictured on this website. Can someone please confirm that for the bilsteins the 10 inch springs are the way to go? Thank You, Brett
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 15 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #26

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I bought my package from paragon via a group buy BR put together iirc. I also remember having to be specific about the strut assem on the car. Such as which stock, 911, what ever. I've have seen a few threads similar to this one and I could never understand why. Mine went on right out of the boxes with no hassles other than installing the threaded collars upside down. As Jeff noted, there was step/land on one end that rests on the adj clip. The clip is enclosed by the collar when done right.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Apr 16 2016, 06:15 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

My GC springs are 8" tall...

T
+Quote Post
naro914
post Apr 16 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #28

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Couple things to consider: with Bilsteins, you have more adjustability than with Koni because there are more "rings"'on the shock to rest the collar, meaning you can go a little lower.
The spring rate also factors in..:stiffer springs will not compress as much, leaving it car riding higher.
We have Koni Adjustible with 8" 225 lb springs. I did noticed that the lowest I could get the collar to sit on the Koni is higher than the perches were set on the Bilsteins I took off, so you may be ok with the 10" springs if you can get the collar low enough...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 01:42 AM