Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EFI Question on a stock 74 2L
chris914
post Apr 2 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,393
Region Association: Southern California

Hi,

I had to replace a small section of flexible fuel line back by the engine. About 8" worth. Everything went well. I disconnected the fuel line, the fuel ran out, and I replaced the old line with new.

But when I turned on the ignition the fuel pump doesn't come on briefly and the car won't start.

The fuel pump has been moved to the front of the car so there's no wires to worry about back there.

Does the fuel lines have to be primed or something like that if they get drained? Yes I did put about a gallon of gas back in the gas tank.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 2 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If the fuel pump is not pumping for ~1.5 seconds when you turn on ignition then you must have upset some electrical connection. Check all your connections again at the relay board to include fuses and relays. You may have also inadvertently grounded the AAR lead or done something similar. Your problem is electrical.

AFAIK you don't need to prime the pump.
+Quote Post
chris914
post Apr 2 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,393
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 2 2016, 03:31 PM) *

If the fuel pump is not pumping for ~1.5 seconds when you turn on ignition then you must have upset some electrical connection. Check all your connections again at the relay board to include fuses and relays. You may have also inadvertently grounded the AAR lead or done something similar. Your problem is electrical.

I had to climb under the car in the front, to get to the fuel pump. It was getting 12volts so I did the old wrap on it with the handle side of a screwdriver. It worked! Thanks for sending those positives waves my way!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 2 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Apr 2 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #5

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(chris914 @ Apr 2 2016, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 2 2016, 03:31 PM) *

I had to climb under the car in the front, to get to the fuel pump. It was getting 12volts so I did the old wrap on it with the handle side of a screwdriver. It worked! Thanks for sending those positives waves my way!

This is what I had to do to my fuel pump once. Unfortunately, it died within a couple weeks. Hope for the best, but when you have to start whacking the side of your fuel pump to get it to work, it means it will be headed towards failure soon.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:16 AM