Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uhh-Ohh…., My Ongoing 914 Build Adventures....
rhodyguy
post Apr 3 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #201

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't do anything rash with the car when you're frustrated. Step back for a while. As long as it takes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 3 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #202

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Lawrence if you need tech support PM me and I can call you on weekends when my long distance is free.
Patience my good man.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 4 2017, 05:59 AM
Post #203

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just walk away for a bit couple of days or weeks or whatever and come back and tackle 1 thing then keep rolling at that point..

People make fun of my project as lots of rust repair but I fix one spot at a time and get a huge sense of pride and move to the next. I just had some parts powdercoated and search out more parts etc. It's really the search and project that does it for me..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 4 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #204

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2017, 07:59 AM) *

Just walk away for a bit couple of days or weeks or whatever and come back and tackle 1 thing then keep rolling at that point..

People make fun of my project as lots of rust repair but I fix one spot at a time and get a huge sense of pride and move to the next. I just had some parts powdercoated and search out more parts etc. It's really the search and project that does it for me..

Then come to my house Ben, come to my house. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 4 2017, 07:17 AM
Post #205

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 3 2017, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 06:32 PM) *

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to list the whole project for sale. I'm over it. Too much disappointment and frustration.

I don't think I can finish this thing, maybe someone else wants to take a shot? I'll probably part this mess out.

This is the moment you most need to carry on. Been there, done that. Felt the same way.

If you sell it now, someone reaps all the reward with only a sliver of the input. It will be worth it...if you doubt that, come by for a lunchtime drive.

Yes...step away...come back in a few days and carry on. Wait till you read about how I "fixed" the wiring for my EG33. Dozens of hours wasted. Probably 50 hours. 2 full days.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 4 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #206

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Go surfing, clear your head and get back at it.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 4 2017, 07:55 AM
Post #207

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Check out Forrest's car. It's almost ready to run.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 4 2017, 08:10 AM
Post #208

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 08:09 PM) *

<----just so fucking frustrated

I'm with Ethan. You have my number. I'm booked this weekend, 4/22-23, 6/3-4 and one, yet to be determined, weekend to help my BiL move. Otherwise I'm free. Give me a holler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Kent
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Apr 4 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #209

Member No.: 11,519

Just do like me and never get started. Just buy another project.

Seriously, do not give up you are going to have a great car and the "looking back" will be awesome.

Take a break and come join Steve, Keith, and I at C&C AV on Saturday !
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Apr 4 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #210

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Contrary to other advice, I suggest you give up. Cut your losses while you can. You have not gone too far to receive 12 to 25 cents on each dollar invested.

Not all things are for the weak of heart and mind. Listen to your friend here. those other people are obviously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I can speak from personal experience on this one. Simply sell off all parts, tools, and related literature to anyone within pick-up distance.

Sidebar: I will take the following (less the handling charge of course.....):

powder coated tin
wiring harness
left side ignition setup w/keys
your tranny
your engine and intake (to be sold to others on the boards here who smell blood in the waters...)
your chassis with PMS engine mount installed
your wheels recently refinished
your gromet collection
all manuals and tech books (including my Weber manual you have been hoarding)

Moral of the story: Keep your friends close, and your close friends closer...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
siverson
post Apr 4 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #211

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

I'll help if I can... What exactly is left to do? Do you have all the parts?

Probably can't finish everything in a short work day, but could probably get a lot done and some good momentum rebuilt...

-Steve
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Apr 4 2017, 10:03 AM
Post #212

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Larmo. Man. Don't do it!

Don't listen to these positive thinking successful guys with past experience doing all of the things you have yet to do.

They have obviously lost all memory of skinned knuckles - now healed, S-1's, 2's and upper neck issues fading into the past - now replaced with the joy of driving a 911 powered siren-song-914. They are over binge drinking after a day of lying on one's back while eating grinder crumbs and melted metal dribbling off off of an impossible weld while upside down under the motor mount. They can fondly reminisce of drives with their fellow 6-buddies with the 4 crowd trailing somewhere behind - all smelling the glorious scents of rubber, fuel, and,... well, the other aromas that go along with a well sorted 914-6 conversion.

That lot is a club, better left to the non-faint of heart.

Bring (...er,..tow) your car over to my shop and we can pluck a few parts off of it for a project still being forged out of determination, mental focus, and an unrelenting willingness to unleash tons of money to accomplish what, for some, seems impossible.

Your friend, Forrestkhaag...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 4 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #213

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 11:09 PM) *

<----just so fucking frustrated

That's why buying one just doesn't give you the same satisfaction as building one.
You'll get over the hump or humps and be fine.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 4 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #214

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

You'll get it. I can't tell you how many guys I've worked with over the years who are right where your at.

The frustration you are feeling will only add to the feeling of accomplishment when you finish it.

Step back, take some time off. Some close intense fellowship of the feminine variety is always helpful. Get some counsel from guys who've been there.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Apr 4 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #215

Member No.: 11,663

Lawrence, I understand your frustration. I spent 3 1/2 years trying to complete my 914-6 conversion and was at about the stage where you are when I decided to sell it. I ended up buying a completely finished 911 wide-body instead.

The good news is that the 914 has gone on to a good home where I believe it will be finished in a very high-quality fashion and I have struck up a friendship with the buyer.

The bad news is I now miss the car tremendously and wish I had never sold it. In fact, I have asked the buyer that if he ever gives up on the project I would like to buy it back from him.

My suggestion to you is to ask one of the members to get a ride in a well sorted 914-6. I believe that will help you get stimulated as to the true potential of what you are building and will also give you a sense of the exhilaration you will experience once your own project is finished. That might spur you on to complete the project.

If you truly decide to sell the car I would appreciate if you would send me a PM and advise me as to what price you would want because, as I said, I still wish I had my car.

Good luck with your decision.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 4 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #216

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(moparrob @ Apr 4 2017, 12:07 PM) *

Lawrence, I understand your frustration. I spent 3 1/2 years trying to complete my 914-6 conversion and was at about the stage where you are when I decided to sell it. I ended up buying a completely finished 911 wide-body instead.

The good news is that the 914 has gone on to a good home where I believe it will be finished in a very high-quality fashion and I have struck up a friendship with the buyer.

The bad news is I now miss the car tremendously and wish I had never sold it. In fact, I have asked the buyer that if he ever gives up on the project I would like to buy it back from him.

My suggestion to you is to ask one of the members to get a ride in a well sorted 914-6. I believe that will help you get stimulated as to the true potential of what you are building and will also give you a sense of the exhilaration you will experience once your own project is finished. That might spur you on to complete the project.

If you truly decide to sell the car I would appreciate if you would send me a PM and advise me as to what price you would want because, as I said, I still wish I had my car.

Good luck with your decision.

You are going to love this! I am the buyer of the above mentioned car from Moparrob. I can attest to the fact that he wanted it back and deeply regrets selling it to me because he has offered several times to buy it back.

I agree with Rob get a ride and if possible get a drive in a 914-6 and you will be completely committed to finishing it! The first time I drove a 6 I was on a mission for 2 years to get one. I was fortunate to find his in the state it was. Unfortunately I had to postpone starting it for almost a year then worked solid on it for about 8 months and had to shelve it again. Fortunately I should be back to it in a month or two.

Don't give up. You have done a lot and there is always a problem. Always! By the way I am a little north San Diego not that far from you so if you want to get together PM me and we can compare notes. And if you want to check out my thread here ya go. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=261197&hl=

Let me know if you check the link and it doesn't work.
JimAttached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 4 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #217

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Reached the same point myself,IMO once the engine is in the car you really feel like moving on ,first startup was an epic day for me.
When ever I got bogged down I just moved to something as different as possible,these conversions aren't as simply as often stated,it can be the little details that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) with your head.
DON'T give up Lawrence ok.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 4 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #218

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Dude - I've only been able to drive a 914 to what? ... three RT-66 events and one WCR in over ten years I've been on this forum. That didn't stop me from attending those events or from eventually having a decent running car (albeit not at the moment) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Don't let the fact that your car might not be ready in time for a specific event kill your dreams. You're still a [relatively] young man and will have the opportunity to attend many more fun-filled 914 events in the future.

It's just a hiccup ...

+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 4 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #219

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Hi sir Lawrence! I don't think that is you who easily give up! If you're worry not finishing it for Route 66. There will be more events that I'm sure you can attend like WCR. Anyway, it will be a 6 and surelly it will be nice for a very long trips! You have come along way with your conversion and you're less than half way to finish.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Apr 4 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #220

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 05:32 PM) *

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to list the whole project for sale. I'm over it. Too much disappointment and frustration.

I don't think I can finish this thing, maybe someone else wants to take a shot? I'll probably part this mess out.

Man - do I get where you are coming from.

I spent 2 years converting a really well running 4 to a 6. Biggest mistake I ever made. I owned that car for 22 years. Got it up and running and found I had linkage issues with using the original (and very good shifting) tail shift trans - it hit the headers. Worked on it for another month and realized I now hated even looking at the car. Put it up for sale without even finishing it.

I really miss having a 914. I have thought of selling the 911 that replaced the 914 and buying another. But if I do, it will be a good running and driving car. I will never build one up again.

I have always struggled with getting bored and changing something unnecessarily simply for the sake of change. This experience went a long way in curing me of that.

Hope it works out for you whichever way you decide to go.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

39 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 05:10 PM