Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 conversion?, Build?
Scott S
post Jun 15 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #61

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Just a word of warning/my sordid tale...

I bought my 914 in 1992. I loved that car. I bit the bullet and did a conversion back in 2011-12. I never finished it completely - all it needed was the shift linkage addressed. But at that point, I couldn't even stand to look at the car anymore and sold it.

Not to be a wet sock, but my conversion basically tanked a 20 year love affair. If I had left it alone, it would still be in my garage.

Just an FYI...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jun 15 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #62

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I hear you Scott...mine was just fine till I decided to convert....8+ years later, I still haven't put it together even though I have 90% of the parts already.

If I'd have to do it over, I would have kept it a /4...oh well, no turning back now, it'll probably be 2 more years till I'm done, so it better be worth it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 15 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #63

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 15 2016, 12:56 PM) *

I hear you Scott...mine was just fine till I decided to convert....8+ years later, I still haven't put it together even though I have 90% of the parts already.

If I'd have to do it over, I would have kept it a /4...oh well, no turning back now, it'll probably be 2 more years till I'm done, so it better be worth it.

Same here 8 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I'm 95% done...just need to get it in gear and finish that last 5%...
But I did work on it all last weekend so there's hope yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think the big thing is what point you are in life. For me I have 10 Porsches mostly 911s a couple of 60s camaros and of all the cars I had my 914-6 was the most fun. I started with a car that was restorable but not drivable for this go around. I have sandblasted the doors, suspension, collected parts, done some welding, and probably have 90% of the parts to complete the car. The reality is that it won't be done for years.. I am ok with that. If you intend to drive it in a week or month once you take it apart for the conversion you will probably will be disappointed. Me I have so many different hobbys it I am ok in fact love the idea of the project lasting a while.. My time frame is different though from most..
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 15 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #65

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So far I have about 30 hours into the conversion. I need another 8-10 hour chunk of time and I'm done. Hopefully next week.
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 15 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 18,523
Region Association: Central California

I'm personally Porsche and Ford biased this is my only Porsche I would like a 911 in the near future but I am finishing a 53 ford coupe with a 427 that will be fun. Engine for the 914 I've been pretty set on a 3.2 but when I spoke to someone and he told he could do the 302 swap for literally half the price I figure hell for the 20k for just a 6 swap I could almost complete the car with that being said I'm a big fan of mid engine v8 cars but I've never been in or drove a 914/8 and I'm leaning more towards the 6 but I thought a 302 powered 914 would be gt40 like. I'd like to know about Justin's 914 with 280hp that sounds like an interesting setup to me! Sorry to hear that it look like a sweet setup.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 15 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #67

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 15 2016, 10:44 AM) *

I'm personally Porsche and Ford biased this is my only Porsche I would like a 911 in the near future but I am finishing a 53 ford coupe with a 427 that will be fun. Engine for the 914 I've been pretty set on a 3.2 but when I spoke to someone and he told he could do the 302 swap for literally half the price I figure hell for the 20k for just a 6 swap I could almost complete the car with that being said I'm a big fan of mid engine v8 cars but I've never been in or drove a 914/8 and I'm leaning more towards the 6 but I thought a 302 powered 914 would be gt40 like. I'd like to know about Justin's 914 with 280hp that sounds like an interesting setup to me! Sorry to hear that it look like a sweet setup.

The 302 might be 1/2 the cost to convert, however it might be worth 1/4 what a nice proper 3.2 conversion would go for when time to sell.

Being in California you aren't too far from all kinds of conversions, I'm sure you can find someone with mid sized /6 (like a 3.0 or 3.2) and a small block Chevy (I know, you said Ford fan, you won't know the difference while sitting in the drivers or passenger seat.

Both are a blast, I've driven a narrow bodied /6 with a 3.0 translplant a few times and it was a great combo. I've also driven a few SBC conversions and those too are fun to drive. If it was my money I'd opt for SBC, if was someone elses money I'd go for Porsche /6.

+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jun 15 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jun 15 2016, 10:44 AM) *

I don't have a build thread on mine, but this is almost the identical engine that I built (the 3.2), 253hp to the wheels- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...fore-after.html

If you are thinking of going to a 911 you might just want to consider building a clean 2.0 car and save your money for the 911? Stock 914's are worth quite a bit of money these days.
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 15 2016, 09:31 PM
Post #69

Thanks for the link! That's inspiring, I'm not sure I really like the 914 platform and would to build that first.
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 22 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #70

Figured I would take some pictures of bottom they're not very good but I noticed the door won't close all the way, I thought it was just ajar but it won't close and leaves a gap

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 22 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #71

And bottom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 22 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #72

Bottom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
hyespeed
post Jun 22 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #73

Bottom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 06:15 AM