Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 question, later style water pumps
jwalters
post Apr 16 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) To the V-8 gurus out there--I know the standard mod is a stand alone water pump--but what about the low profile pumps on very late chebbies--they are very small and compressed--would it still need to be removed and replaced with a stand alone??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 16 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Show me a picture and I will be able to tell. If it is belt driven, most likely it will not fit.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Apr 16 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE (skline @ Apr 16 2005, 12:53 PM)
Show me a picture and I will be able to tell. If it is belt driven, most likely it will not fit.

sorry no pics--but I am guessing it is lt-1 style--where it is driven directly off the cam--I know for a fact it has no belt to it--hope it helps out--
+Quote Post
Chris Julian
post Apr 16 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,821

HI, basically on the typical swap there is just no room for the pulley that would mount to the balancer. that's why we use a grooved balancer. Unless you relocated the motor back towards the rear of the car, but then the angle of the half shaft may be too extreme.

Chris
+Quote Post
Brent
post Apr 16 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Every month is Oktober

Member No.: 3,291
Region Association: Northern California

My V6 conversion package has a pump with a shortened shaft, had it rebuilt once and cost about $80 about 10 years ago.
+Quote Post
ajracer
post Apr 24 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,945

Greetings jwalters:

Let me share my thoughts and experience since I HAVE an Chevy LT1 going into my 914 as we speak. My research and calculations and measurements conclude the following, based on the standard location of the V8 into the 914 engine bay. Thus using the engine mounting bar or RSH type mounts:

1/ The V8 engine fits fine with the "old style" Chev 6 cyl. harmonic balancer with the twin pulley for the external mounted water pump and alternator.

2/ The LT1 with the OEM water sticks (with internal spline gear drive) out too far from the front of the engine, by about three inches. In addition IF you tried to use the Opti Spark ignition system then you are really in trouble because it sticks out another 2 -3 inches more.

3/ The next question revolves around the Bottom crank flange, OEM type harmonic balance/pulley combination (which is serpentine belt), this unit sticks out a total about 5+ inches from the block and into the firewall of the 914 according to all my measurements and mock ups, before I concluded that the stock OEM water pump and opti spark along with he bottom flange were GONE and would not work "without" extensive modifications to the firewall and surrounding area.

Conclusion for me: go with the “old style” V8 set-up which meant replace front bottom pulley with the GM 6 cyl. Unit, exterior mount water pump, delete opti spark/water pump and seal up the timing cover holes. Then I decided (for now) to use a GM performance LT1 intake manifold with the traditional rear mounted distributor hole for ignition system. Solution everything fits and should work fine. I have posted A progress thread under “Project 914-LT1 Canadian V8 conversion” If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, and I will give my experience and reasons for various decisions.

Good Luck with your project and enjoy the pride of doing it yourself.

Allan

ps. Attached Photo of my friends Lamborghini, which shows the engine into the
passenger compartmnt. But this is a larger passenger compartment than our 914's
and thus they have room, an engine cover goes over this area and is next to the
drivers arm rest.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 07:23 AM