Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surgery for the RS, 914RS update.
Wild 6
post May 25 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #81

See you at the next autocross.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,128

To solve the problem, I purchased the Weltmeister tranny mounts and drilled out the mounting holes. WEVO claims their mounts are already slotted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty914
post May 25 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #82

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

yes the wevo mounts have the holes slotted... ask me how i know. if you lose a bolt on the front body side it will allow them to slip far enough to come off the ear
+Quote Post
TMorr
post May 26 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #83

Tracey of Windrush

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (914RS @ May 25 2005, 11:33 AM)
Now I need some mounting advice from the pros.  The rear housing on the WEVO conversion is too far aft for the mounting holes to line up.  The literature that came with the kit warns about preloading the 'ears', which suggests to me that this is a common problem.

It would have been really nice if my $2000 kit would just bolt up, but such is not the case.

For those who have done it, how did you solve this problem?

WEVO, feel free to chime in here.

Joe,

The WEVO 915 SideShift kit is designed so the center of the mount hole on the ear is the same dimension from the RFOB (Rear Face Of Block - nee crankcase) as the 901 transmission.

If you have misalignment with a 915 and our kit installed, you would also have misalignment with a 901 attached to the same motor in that same chassis.

The 901 uses the slot for the M12 bolt - a solution we do not like, for reasons experienced by Scott Thatcher. The slot allows the transmission mount to accommodate some misalignment, but at the risk of transmission mount security - especially if you unwittingly mount the bolt at the edge of the slot in an effort to compensate for incorrect engine mount locations.

I would suggest the following;

1) Loosen your front engine mounts - at all possible locations - and determine if they wil allow you to move the engine to a position where the bolt will go through the ear without pre-load.

2) If 1 does not work - question the front engine mount installation? is it O.E.? Is it aftermarket? what is the possibility that it is not accurately installed relative to the original transmission mount feature on the chassis?

3) If 1 did not work and 2 reveals some lattitude for error, evaluate your options. One option is the WEVO 914 SS Transmission mounts. This has some adjustment via the slotted holes. Whether or not it would be enough for the error on your car is something you need to measure. Another option, as Andy used, is to file slotted holes in 911 engine mounts. These require slots just to have the correct hole spacing for the 914 transmission mount bolt pattern, so extra slotting would be required to allow the trasnmission to be located in a non-standard location.

4) Call me and I will try and help you resolve the issue - regardless of the root cause.

The language used in the installation instructions regarding misalignment is intended to prevent people from levering the transmission into a position where the bolt "can" be "installed". The #1 unit installed in Andy's car was levered into the car so badly (installer to remain nameless) that it damaged the car and the casting and lead to a cracked casting.

We can help customers avoid this self inflicted failure by sharing that information. The speculation that it is linked to a dimensional error on the SideShift casting is without foundation.

Regards

Hayden

PTB Tracey.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 2 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #84

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I finished mounting the WEVO tranny in the car today. I slotted the hell out of some Weltmeister solid mounts and now it fits fine, with no 'preload'.

Now I need to sort out the shifting. To all who have done this: I would like to see pictures of your shift linkage between the firewall and tranny.

+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 12 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #85

Yes, I took too long on this project. Liz's car and my GTI have kept me very busy over the last month.

However, I drove the RS today for the first time with the WEVO tranny! What can I say....WAY, WAY, WAY better. I fabbed up the linkage and performed the initial set-up. I got all six (w/reverse) gears the first time. Very nice. It needs a little fine tuning, but I'm already 98% there.

Someone said it would shift like a 993. Not that good, but way north of acceptable. I'm very pleased.

Pictures folllow.

#1: The front of the linkage as I received it from Patrick for the former Vellios conversion.
#2: The rear of the linkage after I stole Liz's steering linkage and modified it for this application. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
#3: Another view of #2.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 12 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #86

two:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 12 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #87

three:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 12 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #88

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 13 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #89

Made one more adjustment on the shift linkage today.

The RS is 100%! Despite my complaints about mounting the tranny, I was really only concerned about the way it would shift.

I am extremely pleased. The RS is back in service.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 14 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #90

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) the "U" joints. Have you ever thought about using a liniar bearing inplace of the firewall bushing? I have a couple and some persision 3/4 " shaft. I'll send you one just to play with. Even if you never use it they make a great conversation piece.

I'm traveling all week for my job. The box is taped and dry sitting in my garage. I'll try to get it shipped on Friday. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 14 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #91

QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jun 14 2005, 09:37 PM)
I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) the "U" joints. Have you ever thought about using a liniar bearing inplace of the firewall bushing? I have a couple and some persision 3/4 " shaft. I'll send you one just to play with. Even if you never use it they make a great conversation piece.

I'm traveling all week for my job. The box is taped and dry sitting in my garage. I'll try to get it shipped on Friday. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)

Send the bearing, I'm interested.
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jun 15 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Have you ever thought about using a liniar bearing inplace of the firewall bushing?

I have. I have a spherical bearing inplace of the bushing. Much better. Tighter. I wish I have a good pic of it......
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 15 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #93

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Definately bookmarking this for when I get the 915 in my car.. Wevo is what I want to go with!

+Quote Post
nocones
post Jun 15 2005, 07:37 AM
Post #94

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

Joe,

Congats on a successful install and a smooth shifting RS!
I've been interested to hear your results. I've got the 915 behind my V8 and will be doing the WEVO once funds allow.
It's nice to hear from an another unbiased owner.
Enjoy the ride and let us know how the bearing works out.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 15 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #95

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Damn that is a clean car. I would venture to guess that your tranny alone is worth more than my entire car.

Looks good!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 07:11 AM