Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wilwood pedals or tiltons? Any installed pics?
speed metal army
post Feb 24 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Looking for pics of either the wilwood pedal setups or the tiltons.
Thanks guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 25 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Not fully installed yet, bit more metal work to do to get this installed.

Attached Image

Wilwood Pedals, with Howe Masters. I pushed the pedals forward so they are closer to the original spot. That means that I cut the foot board out and built a new section.

Attached Image

Need to make the side pieces to seal this up. The back plate will be made to unbolt so you can R&R the cylinders if need be.

Just wish Howe would make 5/8" MC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I can change the fulcrum point on the Wilwood pedals so it might not matter.
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Feb 25 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I'm using an OBP unit which is essentially the same as a Tilton. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Pro-Race...l-Box-OBP0001PR

It goes here:Attached Image
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Feb 26 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #4

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Thanks guys! 914forme what size MC's are you using? Dual or single?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 27 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #5

Dual,

Originally 3/4" = ~19mm for brakes and 5/8" for the clutch. I was running 1988 911 Carrera Calipers. I used to use the stock 19mm MC, why change a good thing.

Now that I converted to Boxster S brakes, I am at 7/8" = ~23mm and since I am using Howe's I upped the clutch master to 3/4" hopefully I don't pay for that one. I can change the pedal ratio if need be for the clutch master.

Give me a big enough leaver I will move the world.
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 27 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What's the best way to size up a clutch master cylinder for the clutch slave cylinder?

Can you undersize a clutch MC for the slave cylinder?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 27 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 27 2017, 01:29 PM) *

What's the best way to size up a clutch master cylinder for the clutch slave cylinder?

Can you undersize a clutch MC for the slave cylinder?

Yes you can! It is a ratio and pressure thing.

So it can be a bit of a math trick. My slave is 3/4" bore, I am not sure of the travel. My master is also 3/4" bore not sure of the travel there. Best case scenario I am at a 1:1 relation ship.

Now for the fun, the clutch slave pushes the clutch fork, and it is a simple lever. The pedal is also a lever, so the trick is to get it so it feels good, while being at a ration that is soft enough to push.

Simplest thing I can relate this to that you might know is the 914-4 brake pedal and master cylinder. Stock -4 size is 17mm, it will stop the car perfectly, yet the pedal feels soft. So most people will upgrade to a 19mm master. It firms the pedal up, and some like that feeling, as do I. IT is a square of the size of the bore, the and the ratio of the two.

So it can get complicated, and a bit of math, with a few variables I don't know off the top of my head.

Here is a good overview of how it all works.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 27 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Two different markets (for the most part)...Wilwood's for Hot-Rods; Tilton's for Race-Cars. The biggest issue I ran into when I first installed a small pedal plate was the amount of flex in the floor. The fix (for me) was to extend the plate all the way out to the rocker panel. It also made for a nice even transition for the carpet too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I literally trust my life to this install...

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 27 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes you can! It is a ratio and pressure thing.

So it can be a bit of a math trick. My slave is 3/4" bore, I am not sure of the travel. My master is also 3/4" bore not sure of the travel there. Best case scenario I am at a 1:1 relation ship.

Now for the fun, the clutch slave pushes the clutch fork, and it is a simple lever. The pedal is also a lever, so the trick is to get it so it feels good, while being at a ration that is soft enough to push.

Simplest thing I can relate this to that you might know is the 914-4 brake pedal and master cylinder. Stock -4 size is 17mm, it will stop the car perfectly, yet the pedal feels soft. So most people will upgrade to a 19mm master. It firms the pedal up, and some like that feeling, as do I. IT is a square of the size of the bore, the and the ratio of the two.

So it can get complicated, and a bit of math, with a few variables I don't know off the top of my head.

Here is a good overview of how it all works.

914forme - This is great and the link is awesome. I haven't been able to find anything like this yet, while trying to setup the clutch system in my Subaru conversion. Thank you so much!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:07 PM