Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It finally happened, Starter question
ben1440
post May 9 2005, 08:16 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,688

It seems like a hot start issue. it happened at 2 pit stops on the way. then i get home, and it starts every time since. i actually think it could be related to something else, but i will have to take a pic of that later to show what i am talking about.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post May 9 2005, 09:35 AM
Post #22

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also had the hot start issue, even with all new items, i.e starter, ignition switch and new wiring. So I got the little Bosch hot start relay fix device on ebay and now I no longer have any of the hot start issues.
I can't find the link sorry.......

+Quote Post
Rand
post May 9 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #23

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

do I need to have the key on while doing this?

No. The large cable goes straight to the battery. It's always hot. The ignition doesn't need to be on because you aren't trying to start the car this way, only to see if it tries to crank. One quick tap and release between the main power and the solenoid will tell you. If it tries, you'll be pulling back instantly and know that your starter, solenoid, power, ground, etc. are all likely good. If it's dead, then check for 12v.

A more comfortable way to test this is to make a couple heavy gauge test leads... alligator clips on each end, a push button switch in the middle. Then you can hook one alligator clip to the power terminal, another to the solenoid wire (big yellow wire - if not on solenoid, then at the relay). Hit the push button and see if it tries to crank.

Anyway, sounds like you're replacing parts. Please let us know what the fix was.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post May 9 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #24

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

BIG emphasis on making sure it's out of gear.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Or go even one better.
Japanese reliability and gear reduction. None of the heat related, or reliability problems
And the price is right. $120.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7973287779&rd=1
+Quote Post
jimtab
post May 9 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

It's all better, I got the new starter and it works....all is well. Thanks to all for the support, damn I wish I was a better mechanic...especially with electrical issues. Oh well.... Jim
+Quote Post
AZ914
post May 10 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #26

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Jim,

This same thing happened to me over the weekend. I drove to a picnic. About 5 hours later I go to start and nothing. Fuel pump is pumping, etc but it won't turn over. Had to get a push start. I had the same problem a couple of months back that 'corrected itself' for at least a couple dozen starts.

I guess I'll give the screwdriver trick a try tonight. It now seems like an intermittant problem, and definitely not a hot-start issue so I'm thinking some bad connection somewhere.. ?
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post May 10 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #27

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

I hope this isn't a dumb question but do you have a "fresh" braided ground strap from the tranny to the body installed. Clean connections? This is absolutely nessesary.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2024 - 09:07 PM