Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 87 88 89 90 91 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
PCA7GGR
post Dec 13 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #1761

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,219

Ah, the Automation catalog and annual swap.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Dec 13 2020, 12:38 PM
Post #1762

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2020, 07:37 PM) *

@mbseto
LOL It really is that different from what you were doing with foam. Just think of it as a climbing wall for tiny little climbers.

The backstory is I got tired of having to rebuild these frog vivaria every few years after any wood put in them rapidly decayed so I made a fake tree out of concrete. Nothing weird about that... right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

@rudedude
Thanks so much for the compliments and your thoughts about Niaquq and the new guy. We are rapidly approaching the one year anniversary since we lost Niaquq which also happens to be my wife's birthday which is going to be rough. I don't expect ever have another dog like Niaquq but the new guy, Kalluq has settled in nicely. He is dumb as a stump and has a disgusting habit of eating his own shit, but is quite entertaining. Here's a video of something he usually does at least once a day. In fact, I just made a weekly run to town for grocery supplies and he sang half way there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWyyP_LzQ4

The next time you are out this way, feel free to stop by! We are only 3 miles off I-90 so a very convenient stop. A coupe member have visit and all are welcome. Our guest room will be open for stopovers again after the zombie apocalypse pandemic is past. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Dang, that dog's as big as a pony! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 13 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #1763

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Continuing on. Sorry shiny little horn grill but you are just too bright for me. After media blasting.

Attached Image

And done.

Attached Image

A small task from the Belmetric parts. Usually a guy welcomes a stiff hose.

Attached Image

But sometimes soft and supple is what you need.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know Phil has been waiting in anticipation all day for the tranny day report. Actually it was tranny weekend. Nothing much to report though but I don't want to disappoint Phil. All that happened this weekend was to clean it up.

Attached Image

I wanted to rent a steam power washer to make it easy but none of the rental places around here have them. Instead I used Awesome degreaser from Dollar Tree, an assortment of brass brushes and elbow grease. I wasn't going for a shiny case and this case spent too much time in the Midwest to ever be shiny again anyway. Just a clean gray will be just fine. It's a work in progress.

Attached Image

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl. Now I need to place an order for seals and other tranny bits.

This is the first time the engine, transmission, and chassis have been this close together in over 30 years.

Attached Image

One last thing I did this weekend was spend a little "together time" with the dog in the car. Niaquq was the perfect travel companion and I'm certain he would have even been happy to ride on the center cushion between two passengers for short hops. The new guy is nicknamed "The Wrecking Ball" so I'm optimistically trying to train him to just sit or lie quietly in the passenger seat. We have a LOoong way to go... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Dec 13 2020, 09:53 PM
Post #1764

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 07:26 PM) *

Continuing on. Sorry shiny little horn grill but you are just too bright for me. After media blasting.

Attached Image

And done.

Attached Image

A small task from the Belmetric parts. Usually a guy welcomes a stiff hose.

Attached Image

But sometimes soft and supple is what you need.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know Phil has been waiting in anticipation all day for the tranny day report. Actually it was tranny weekend. Nothing much to report though but I don't want to disappoint Phil. All that happened this weekend was to clean it up.

Attached Image

I wanted to rent a steam power washer to make it easy but none of the rental places around here have them. Instead I used Awesome degreaser from Dollar Tree, an assortment of brass brushes and elbow grease. I wasn't going for a shiny case and this case spent too much time in the Midwest to ever be shiny again anyway. Just a clean gray will be just fine. It's a work in progress.

Attached Image

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl. Now I need to place an order for seals and other tranny bits.

This is the first time the engine, transmission, and chassis have been this close together in over 30 years.

Attached Image

One last thing I did this weekend was spend a little "together time" with the dog in the car. Niaquq was the perfect travel companion and I'm certain he would have even been happy to ride on the center cushion between two passengers for short hops. The new guy is nicknamed "The Wrecking Ball" so I'm optimistically trying to train him to just sit or lie quietly in the passenger seat. We have a LOoong way to go... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image

Does he like to sing at people while you're driving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 13 2020, 10:56 PM
Post #1765

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jamie @ Dec 13 2020, 08:53 PM) *

Does he like to sing at people while you're driving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Ha! Last week I had to drive into town and he was in the back seat just singing away for about half the trip. It took him awhile to figure out he needed to lie down because the first couple times he sang in the car, he was sitting up and would bang his head on the roof every time he threw his head back for a good howl. He's dumb as a stump but pretty entertaining.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 14 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #1766

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 10:26 PM) *

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl.

I never thought I'd say this but that Tranny looks great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

How many hours did you spend to get it to that state?

Before you start tearing apart your garage looking for that old can of Tectyl, don't forget you donated the remnants of your Tectyl to me for the 911 case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Can send back to you. Just PM me and remind me of shipping address. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 14 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #1767

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 14 2020, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 10:26 PM) *

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl.

I never thought I'd say this but that Tranny looks great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

How many hours did you spend to get it to that state?

Before you start tearing apart your garage looking for that old can of Tectyl, don't forget you donated the remnants of your Tectyl to me for the 911 case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Can send back to you. Just PM me and remind me of shipping address. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I already have another can of Tectyl on its way. I forgot all about the tranny when I sent that can off with you but still glad I did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) Enjoy it and think fondly of me whenever that gooey crap rubs off on your hands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Actually, it's not that bad and eventually dries to a hard waxy surface.

I have a good eight hours into cleaning that case just over the weekend but probably spent another 4-8 hourse when I first pulled it out of the car 30 years ago. A steam power washer would have been nice!
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Dec 14 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #1768

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I hope that fire extinguisher has a home that's not in the front compartment. It looks to be halon and just remember, as I recently found out, you have a maximum of 2 seconds of discharge. Hope you never have to use it.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 14 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #1769

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(rudedude @ Dec 14 2020, 10:06 AM) *

I hope that fire extinguisher has a home that's not in the front compartment. It looks to be halon and just remember, as I recently found out, you have a maximum of 2 seconds of discharge. Hope you never have to use it.

I think purple K are the ones to have? Thats what @coondog suggests.. I am going to install one in the cabin on my car
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 14 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #1770

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 14 2020, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(rudedude @ Dec 14 2020, 10:06 AM) *

I think purple K are the ones to have? Thats what @coondog suggests.. I am going to install one in the cabin on my car

That one is a Purple K following Coondog's recs. It is just laying in the front for storage right now.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 19 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #1771

914 Guru

The Badger

I'm a Seinfeld fan so this post is pretty much about nothing but does speak to the life of a restoration project in 2020. I'm pretty much held up on progress waiting for parts to arrive.

I ordered a windshield for the car from Speedy Glass, the only glass shop in town that would even return my call after being told what I was looking for. That was back in April and COVID had really slowed things down so I knew it would be a several months wait. Through periodic checking, I learned when the shop had enough glass orders to place a shipment order from the distributor, the distributor had mysteriously deleted their account and they were having fits getting it re-established. Weeks went by and still no progress. Last week it got even worse. The account issues are apparently straightened out, but the distributor in Spokane, WA is not shipping east of Idaho. WTF? My shop tried to set up an independent trucker to deliver the glass (it is a half-day drive) but the independent companies don't want the liability of shipping that much glass. WTF again? So the wait continues.

Then there are the valve adjusters that have been stalled in Frankfurt for over a month. Finally earlier this week there was finally movement on tracking. They had arrived in San Francisco and then moved to LA which is where they need to go so I thought the bugguy would soon have the adjusters and be able to send my rockers and all back to me. However, as of this morning, the tracking showed the adjusters were in Seattle. WTF, WTF, WTF? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I also need to install a manifold vacuum tube into one of my carbs to run vacuum retard. I have the tubes in hand from Pierce Manifold but need a 5mm drill which I can't find locally and there isn't a fractional inch equivalent close enough. Said drill bits were ordered, arrived in Billings at 1am yesterday, and were scheduled for delivery today. Checked this morning and apparently the bits were tired from their travels and decided to spend an extra night in Billings so won't arrive until Monday. Another task I can't do this weekend.

Finally, I have transmission seals and misc. bits on order through Sunset Porsche that will probably arrive next week. Those aren't delayed, but just more on the list I'm waiting on.

All this spare time has allowed me to obsess even more over a conundrum that has haunted me ever since I got the chassis painted - to badge, or not to badge?

Attached Image

Every time I look at this silvery bastard I think that hood is too much blank canvas and would look so much nicer with a jewel. On the other side, I have this originality bug and like to honor how the car came from the factory. ALSO, I'm a CSOB and those badges have gotten ridiculously expensive. The issue was resolved in my brain to save my nickles until I read that damn 50 Years: Porsche 914 book and in particular, this passage:

"In addition, as well as this lettering on on the rear, it was decided to investigate whether the use of the Porsche crest on the front hood could be approved.

This proposal already appeared as a recommendation on the agenda of the 24th program committee meeting on 20 March [1970] and was now agreed. This solution did not last long however, as the two models were released to the world as VW-Porsche 914 and VW-Porsche 914/6 shortly before the IAA."

It would seem the 914 development team wanted the cars badged but the somewhat dysfunctional marketing relationship with VW kept it from happening. So what honors the car more here? Follow the wishes of the development team, or stick with history. Not that my little car gives a flying fart about honor but you know..

Then this morning I'm looking at the car again thinking about what I can accomplish this weekend and started thinking badge... no badge. Then a strange thought came to my psycho brain. My last name means "badger" in Old English which I always equated with the animal because they are bad-asses and cool which fits because I'm... well NOT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) And then I thought, hmm, badger could mean "one who badges..." Right, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So which kind of badger am I? Heck if I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know this. If I did get a crest on the car, I will not be drilling the hood. Instead I will cut the posts of the crest (I will cry doing it because did I mention they are ridiculously expensive?) and apply the badge with 3M trim tape. I guess I'll just have to keep obsessing.

There you go. Another long and screwy post and absolutely nothing happened... not that there's anything WRONG with that...
+Quote Post
PCA7GGR
post Dec 19 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #1772

Member No.: 1,219

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges!
I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 19 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #1773

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 12:13 PM) *

The Badger

I'm a Seinfeld fan so this post is pretty much about nothing but does speak to the life of a restoration project in 2020. I'm pretty much held up on progress waiting for parts to arrive.

I ordered a windshield for the car from Speedy Glass, the only glass shop in town that would even return my call after being told what I was looking for. That was back in April and COVID had really slowed things down so I knew it would be a several months wait. Through periodic checking, I learned when the shop had enough glass orders to place a shipment order from the distributor, the distributor had mysteriously deleted their account and they were having fits getting it re-established. Weeks went by and still no progress. Last week it got even worse. The account issues are apparently straightened out, but the distributor in Spokane, WA is not shipping east of Idaho. WTF? My shop tried to set up an independent trucker to deliver the glass (it is a half-day drive) but the independent companies don't want the liability of shipping that much glass. WTF again? So the wait continues.

Then there are the valve adjusters that have been stalled in Frankfurt for over a month. Finally earlier this week there was finally movement on tracking. They had arrived in San Francisco and then moved to LA which is where they need to go so I thought the bugguy would soon have the adjusters and be able to send my rockers and all back to me. However, as of this morning, the tracking showed the adjusters were in Seattle. WTF, WTF, WTF? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I also need to install a manifold vacuum tube into one of my carbs to run vacuum retard. I have the tubes in hand from Pierce Manifold but need a 5mm drill which I can't find locally and there isn't a fractional inch equivalent close enough. Said drill bits were ordered, arrived in Billings at 1am yesterday, and were scheduled for delivery today. Checked this morning and apparently the bits were tired from their travels and decided to spend an extra night in Billings so won't arrive until Monday. Another task I can't do this weekend.

Finally, I have transmission seals and misc. bits on order through Sunset Porsche that will probably arrive next week. Those aren't delayed, but just more on the list I'm waiting on.

All this spare time has allowed me to obsess even more over a conundrum that has haunted me ever since I got the chassis painted - to badge, or not to badge?

Attached Image

Every time I look at this silvery bastard I think that hood is too much blank canvas and would look so much nicer with a jewel. On the other side, I have this originality bug and like to honor how the car came from the factory. ALSO, I'm a CSOB and those badges have gotten ridiculously expensive. The issue was resolved in my brain to save my nickles until I read that damn 50 Years: Porsche 914 book and in particular, this passage:

"In addition, as well as this lettering on on the rear, it was decided to investigate whether the use of the Porsche crest on the front hood could be approved.

This proposal already appeared as a recommendation on the agenda of the 24th program committee meeting on on 20 March [1970] and was now agreed. This solution did not last long however, as the two models were released to the world as VW-Porsche 914 and VW-Porsche 914/6 shortly before the IAA."

It would seem the 914 development team wanted the cars badged but the somewhat dysfunctional marketing relationship with VW kept it from happening. So what honors the car more here? Follow the wishes of the development team, or stick with history. Not that my little car gives a flying fart about honor but you know..

Then this morning I'm looking at the car again thinking about what I can accomplish this weekend and started thinking badge... no badge. Then a strange thought came to my psycho brain. My last name means "badger" in Old English which I always equated with the animal because they are bad-asses and cool which fits because I'm... well NOT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) And then I thought, hmm, badger could mean "one who badges..." Right, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So which kind of badger am I? Heck if I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know this. If I did get a crest on the car, I will not be drilling the hood. Instead I will cut the posts of the crest (I will cry doing it because did I mention they are ridiculously expensive?) and apply the badge with 3M trim tape. I guess I'll just have to keep obsessing.

There you go. Another long and screwy post and absolutely nothing happened... not that there's anything WRONG with that...

You forgot waiting on your muffler.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) oh and why not just do the GT style badge sticker? That would fit??
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Dec 19 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #1774

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 01:13 PM) *

The Badger

...post count whore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 19 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #1775

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 03:13 PM) *

The Badger

- to badge, or not to badge?

Ferrari didn't put a Ferrari badge on the Dino. One of the most beautiful cars Ferrari ever built.

Porsche didn't put a Porsche badge on the 914. One of the best handling cars Porsche ever designed/built.

Good enough for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

You might want to consider one of those Calvin characters taking a leak on a 911 though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 19 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #1776

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 19 2020, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 01:13 PM) *

The Badger

...post count whore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Drill bits too tired to leave Billings? I can’t imagine being too tired not to leave Billings. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Maybe a badge would spiff up your front bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 19 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #1777

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(PCA7GGR @ Dec 19 2020, 03:26 PM) *

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges!
I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Attached Image

+1
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 19 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #1778

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Maybe a NARP badge?
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 20 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #1779

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd just add one of these decals (that's what I did).
If it's good enough for a 73 Carrera RS, "should" be good enough for your beauty....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Dec 20 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #1780

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 20 2020, 04:58 PM) *

I'd just add one of these decals (that's what I did).
If it's good enough for a 73 Carrera RS, "should" be good enough for your beauty....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Attached Image

Yes! If you don’t like it, you can remove it. If you drill the holes, you are committed.

Charlie
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 87 88 89 90 91 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
38 User(s) are reading this topic (38 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2024 - 01:41 PM