Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 97 98 99 100 101 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
bkrantz
post May 5 2021, 08:39 PM
Post #1961

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 5 2021, 06:40 PM) *

Kind of a big day today. She's (almost) street legal!!!!

I'll describe the process for getting the tags because I think it might get under the skin of some of you Californians from what I've read. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Strolled into the DMV a little after 4pm today with a Kansas Non-Highway title that probably should have been transferred when moved almost 20 years ago. I've learned that a "non-highway" title is a weird little beast that AFAIK, only Kansas has. If you have a functioning and otherwise street legal vehicle that you are not driving, you can opt to title it as non-highway which waives the need to carry insurance or pay annual registration. A no-brainer for a car that was disassembled into boxes and the chassis was half rust, but I was nervous that Montana would interpret it as a salvage title.

The woman who helped me had never seen one before. After asking a few questions, it was clear she understood that this was not a salvage title. She conferred with a co-worker, looked up the Kansas title code, and came back with the appropriate affidavits and other paperwork for a smooth title transfer. Then she took it upon herself to hand select a set of tags that ended in "73." How's that for service? I paid a total of $124 and walked out with a set of permanent tags - meaning I'll never have to pay registration or taxes on this car again as long as I'm a Montana resident. I should have a copy of the new title in 4-6 weeks. Total time spent from walking in the courthouse door? 35 minutes.

Is that the way it works elsewhere? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Nice story, Brent. We are in sync on getting a new title. I also did that this week, after being negligent for about 18 months. Here's the Colorado way, for a new title and with the vehicle coming from out of state:

1. Get the VIN inspected. For a running vehicle, that can happen at the county tax (DMV) office. For a 914 with no drive train, that requires an official home visit. In Durango, the city police department sent a certified technician on Monday morning. He brought a form pre-printed with the info I gave him when he called before arriving.

2. Take the VIN form and the old title to the county office around 11:45, take a number, and wait for about 20 minutes.

3. Go to the designated window, turn in the paperwork and my ID, explain that I want a title only--no registration or plates yet (why pay for the months I still need before I get to drive it).

4. Sign the title application and pay about $450, and at 12:30 walk out with my Colorado title. Pretty good service here, too.

BTW, why such a big, complicated plate number? I thought only about 100 people live in Montana. How many cars do each of you own?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post May 5 2021, 08:53 PM
Post #1962

Member No.: 13,907

Attached Image

I had a marginally more demanding process to get this titled and registered with the last pink (out of state) signed in 1998 to my (now deceased) grandmother and never registered between. A record of custodianship from 1948 was beneficial.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 5 2021, 10:14 PM
Post #1963

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 5 2021, 07:39 PM) *

BTW, why such a big, complicated plate number? I thought only about 100 people live in Montana. How many cars do each of you own?

Sore subject. We are the fastest growing region in the country right now and it isn't good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE(dr.tim @ May 5 2021, 07:53 PM) *

I had a marginally more demanding process to get this titled and registered with the last pink (out of state) signed in 1998 to my (now deceased) grandmother and never registered between. A record of custodianship from 1948 was beneficial.

Is that the rare Willys that used a 914 spare tire hold down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Another update. Yesterday I welded up the modified linkage bracket.

Attached Image

It's no longer completely stainless steel so I gave it a good coat of paint tonight along with the cut down cleaner bracket. These are ready to go back in tomorrow.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post May 6 2021, 06:41 AM
Post #1964

Member No.: 13,907

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 5 2021, 10:14 PM) *

Is that the rare [Ford] that used a 914 spare tire hold down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It may yet be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

The nearby license plate light is also considered.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 6 2021, 07:29 PM
Post #1965

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Got the newly lowered carb linkage pivot and air cleaner bracket installed today. And hooked up the accelerator cable.

Attached Image

I had the cable made 4 inches longer than stock based on advice here. That length works well for connecting to a CSP carb linkage using stock routing except for one thing. It is not long enough to loop through the orange loop strap bolted to the ECU bracket. I'm going to order another cable 8" longer than stock and keep this one for a spare.

Attached Image

Now the air cleaner is nestled properly down in the engine bay. Just need to adjust the intakes to make everything work.

Attached Image

I'm noticing we're on page 99 of this absurd journey and @tygaboy laid down a challenge that had something to do with that. I don't know which way he wagered, but time to find out if he won a bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCpNfdk-cg

Just a short trip across the road to show off the car to the neighbor, but I now have one mile on the odometer. Still no windshield and need to give it a good alignment, but I'll say I am impressed with how smooth the engine is running. To the extent I dared goose it on my gravel driveway, it feels pretty torquey too, and Ben's muffler sounds really mellow from inside the cockpit. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the air cleaner fully installed.

Oh. Since this was the first time this car has moved under its own power since Ronald Reagan was in the White House, I suppose I should do something like this.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dancinnanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pat.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 6 2021, 07:36 PM
Post #1966

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Thats just plain awesome. Congrats!
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post May 6 2021, 07:37 PM
Post #1967

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Congratulations! You're living the dream.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 6 2021, 08:09 PM
Post #1968

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now you know why they call that thing a windshield. When I got my first 914 running it did not have the windshield installed either. Come to think of it there is no comparison. We have paved roads and I got up to 45 before I realized the importance of these things. Enjoy.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post May 6 2021, 08:17 PM
Post #1969

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Awesome achievement, Brent. That must be a hell of a good feeling. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 6 2021, 11:53 PM
Post #1970

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

......and they said it couldn’t be done. Tsk, tsk.

A monumental moment in a monumental journey! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Next time, see if you can get it into third...it’s a great gear.
+Quote Post
Arno914
post May 7 2021, 12:27 AM
Post #1971

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

Congratulations, Brent! Sounds good!
You even had an assistance dog with you on your first drive to clear the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dion
post May 7 2021, 04:29 AM
Post #1972

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well done Brent! Congrats! What an accomplishment. Brought a smile to my face. Really happy for ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 7 2021, 06:20 AM
Post #1973

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Wow.

Driveway and road look great! I guess you didn't get any Beaver. I only wish the Idaho access road looked that good.

Congratulations. Sounds nice. Fuch the windshield - jut put on a pair of ski goggles and get er' down to the freeway! Head East away from town. It's probalby legal in Montana anyway. And even if it isn't, what the chance that the long arm of the law would even notice if you drove right past? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
mb911
post May 7 2021, 06:24 AM
Post #1974

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2021, 04:20 AM) *

Wow.

Driveway and road look great! I guess you didn't get any Beaver. I only wish the Idaho access road looked that good.

Congratulations. Sounds nice. Fuch the windshield - jut put on a pair of ski goggles and get er' down to the freeway! Head East away from town. It's probalby legal in Montana anyway. And even if it isn't, what the chance that the long arm of the law would even notice if you drove right past? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Thats what I did with my 1st 914-6.. was like riding a motorcycle with no helmet.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 7 2021, 07:18 AM
Post #1975

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations Brent. It still made me cringe that you drive it on dirt/gravel roads, but I could get over that. I think your dog as very happy to see it driving too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 7 2021, 07:48 AM
Post #1976

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Great accomplishment and documentation

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 7 2021, 08:19 AM
Post #1977

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

It has been a long journey and I'm sure the feeling of driving it must be great, along with the sense of accomplishment. Well done! Looking forward to more driving videos and pictures in different settings out and about. Congrats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 7 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #1978

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Brent - Running/driving before the 100 page mark... You did it!
What a journey you're taken us on. We can't hardly wait for to see glimpses into the journey your 914 takes you on.

Big congrats, well earned and well, WELL done, my friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 7 2021, 08:33 AM
Post #1979

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So Cool! Congrats on keeping the project going. So close to taking it out on the open road!
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 7 2021, 08:43 AM
Post #1980

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Brent buddie,

You are almost done with your car. Congratulations coming out to you and your wife.
When you first showed your car, I suggested that you find a car will much less rust.
Well you showed quite a skill set and also taught us a little on Montana and a bit on the restoration of a car that has a lot of meaning to you and your wife.

I want to say bravo Brent. It really came out nice. I like that you just went for it. Some of us have the “ I can do this even if I am not 100% sure where it is going” You just did it. Your build is very memorable and looks great and you should be very proud of it.

All the best to you and your wife.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 97 98 99 100 101 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2024 - 06:25 AM