Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 with OEM sway bars factory installed?
rjames
post Nov 20 2023, 02:21 PM
Post #41

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DennisV @ Nov 18 2023, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Nov 17 2023, 05:54 PM) *

Here is an old picture of mine, before I cleaned them up. 70 '6, purchased used in July 1977. These were on when I bought it, so can't say if factory or dealer, but my understanding is they are 'factory correct'.

This his helpful. Thank you for posting. I am trying to see what the factory welding looked like (i.e., was it tack welded or bead welded). Perhaps it is not possible to see it when everything is assembled?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

IIRC, welding is only done at the tab on the inside where the gas tank sits. The outer tab then bolts to the inner with the wheel well sheet metal in between.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 20 2023, 02:55 PM
Post #42

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you are going for OE concourse install there is NO welding done in the tank cavity. The (mount) plates were spot welded only inside the wheel wells.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Nov 20 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 20 2023, 02:55 PM) *

If you are going for OE concourse install there is NO welding done in the tank cavity. The (mount) plates were spot welded only inside the wheel wells.

yep. thats right. there is an outer plate for the sway bar mount that bolts to factory reinforcing plate.
top two bolts had nuts where accessible from tank cavity.
bottom bolt on the triangular shape goes into a formed thread that is part of the mount area sheetmetal in the wheel well. pretty sure that is how it goes. at least that is what i can see on mine. the bottom bolt is inaccessible from the tank side. all done at the factory when the body was fabricated. not done at a later stage in assembly. cars built to order with the sway bars.
+Quote Post
DennisV
post Nov 29 2023, 06:36 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 18 2023, 08:09 AM) *

72 sixes were the only ones available with the optional front and rear sway bars. the factory NEVER installed just a front one. The sizes were 16 front 15 rear, where as the 73-76 four cylinder optional sway bar package was 15 front 16 rear. MANY dealers installed front six sway bars on the early cars as they were too tail happy for some people's taste. Since the exact same configuration front bar was available for 911, ordering one and even installing one on a six was easy

What I found on our poorly executed install was 15 front and 16 rear. So it looks like they appropriated a 914 package and put it on a 914-6. I wonder how much difference 1mm front to back makes.

I think I am talking myself out of executing a more factory-like install and just plugging holes left by PO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 29 2023, 10:02 PM
Post #45

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Torsion spring resistance goes up with the fourth power of the diameter. Going from 15mm to 16mm is about a 30% increase in stiffness of the sway bar itself.

From my own experience, though, I don't think that would make a huge difference to the feel of the car. When I went from stock 15mm to aftermarket 19mm, I didn't notice an immense change. A change, yes, but not a huge one.

--DD
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 29 2023, 11:31 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Wheel side / tank side

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DennisV
post Dec 1 2023, 09:52 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 24,575

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 29 2023, 09:31 PM) *

Wheel side / tank side

Very helpful photo. Thanks!

Best I can tell, no seam welds. Just a few spot welds in not so precise locations, as suggested by Rich / @914werke ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2024 - 06:01 PM