Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ford Solenoid Hot Start installation instructions, Mark Henry's method
dax1969
post Jun 13 2024, 06:01 AM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Good day,

Till a few days ago I had the "horn" relay on my car but it failed. I got stranded but putting the yellow wire back on the solenoid got me going again.

Then I remembered this thread and decided to go for the "ford solenoid" hack... I must be doing something wrong cause fm the moment I put the batterylead back on, the car starts cranking .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I have the same 12 v type as in this thread, wired one post to the solenoid on the 13 mm nut, the other post to the male connector on the solenoid and the yellow wire (starter switch) to the small post on the ford solenoid... Read that one post you could get "nothing" so you have to switch but I have the same symptom on both... fm the moment the positive lead goes back on the battery the car cranks.

What am I doing wrong ? Could the new solenoid be bad ? note : On the 13 mm nut I have a red (which runs straight to the battery) and black wire... on some pictures in this thread I only see the black wire...

Any thoughts ?

Attached Image

krgds
Dax
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jun 13 2024, 06:09 AM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Jun 13 2024, 06:01 AM) *

Good day,

Till a few days ago I had the "horn" relay on my car but it failed. I got stranded but putting the yellow wire back on the solenoid got me going again.

Then I remembered this thread and decided to go for the "ford solenoid" hack... I must be doing something wrong cause fm the moment I put the batterylead back on, the car starts cranking .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I have the same 12 v type as in this thread, wired one post to the solenoid on the 13 mm nut, the other post to the male connector on the solenoid and the yellow wire (starter switch) to the small post on the ford solenoid... Read that one post you could get "nothing" so you have to switch but I have the same symptom on both... fm the moment the positive lead goes back on the battery the car cranks.

What am I doing wrong ? Could the new solenoid be bad ? note : On the 13 mm nut I have a red (which runs straight to the battery) and black wire... on some pictures in this thread I only see the black wire...

Any thoughts ?

Attached Image

krgds
Dax

So it cranks with nothing attached to the small posts? I mistyped my earlier post, see below.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Jun 13 2024, 07:36 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Thks yr reply.

This is how the starter is wired now, car starts normal but I want the solenoid as a safety precautions.

Attached Image

I attached the solenoid to the nut/bold of the starter (as ground) ...attached the left wire (with the green cable wrap) to the 13 mm nut with the red/black (power ?), the wire with the red cable wrap to the connector on top of the starter solenoid.
The yellow thick wire with connector I connected on the small post of the ford solenoid.... but as said, fm the moment I put the battery on the car cranks (without turning the key)... I switched small posts left/right but same issue.

I have to be honest that I when I took out the old horn relay I disconnected everything I could but have cut a small yellow wire which was going into the car (no idea where).... This was part of the hot start kit and goes into the engine bay and connects somewhere behind/below the airfilter... (can't see exactly without removing air filter housing).

Attached Image

Would this cause the issue ? Is this my stupidness ?

+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jun 13 2024, 10:12 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

yikes. THat makes it harder. So you want the solenoid activated by the ford solenoid. So your ignition wire from the top of the solenoid should be going to the small prongs on the ford. Then you want 12 volts coming from the pos (battery) post on the solenoid going to the big post (either) and then coming from the other big post to the solenoid where your ignition wire used to go. I will add a picture of mine in a sec.
Attached Image

I have a fuzable link coming from the bat. post on the solenoid to the ford solenoid for safety.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 14 2024, 10:19 AM
Post #105

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 6 2021, 07:29 AM) *

Just had my first no start in ages, had to get a push. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Tested my ford solenoid, no problem there, starter kicked right in.
Cleaned a few grounds...nope.
I was about to dive into my ignition switch, then decided to check my seat belt interlock under the passenger seat. I had disabled it years ago by just pulling one of the relays, which 20 years ago was SOP.
I did a quick thread search (thanks Clay), pulled and connected the two big yellow wires and I was back in business.

Moral is you still have to check all your connections...but get the easy stuff out of the way first.

You're welcome.... What did I do?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2024 - 11:31 PM