Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tire Recommendations, Which Size is Best on OEM 15 1/2 Jx15 Fuchs?
914_7T3
post Apr 25 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Was Wondering the differences in ride characteristics for all 3 available sizes:

165/80, 185/70 or 195/65, what do you recommend?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeemerSteve
post Apr 25 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,123
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

195/60×15
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 25 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Apr 25 2017, 09:13 PM) *

195/60×15

What brand and model of tire do you run on?
+Quote Post
arne
post Apr 26 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

To answer the original question, those three sizes will not have much difference in ride quality, as all have a pretty substantial sidewall. There will be more difference in ride from tire design than from sizes. A very high performance tire (not many in these sizes) will ride harsher than the same size all-season tire. But in general, no tire in these three sizes will deliver a bad ride. Of the three sizes, the narrower 165/80 may be a slight touch more harsh as its sidewalls are pulled out as wide as they were designed to accommodate, adding a bit of tension and stiffness.

For a 914 I prefer to stick with one of the three sizes you noted, as those three are essentially all the original diameter. I'm a fan of the original tall sidewalls, for appearance, ride quality and suspension compatibility.

Some people like more modern low profile sizes, such as either 195 or 205 in 60, 55 or 50 series profile. The 205 width is about the max you should run on a 5.5" rim. Any of these sizes will be shorter in height than stock, with the associated change in gearing and speedo calibration.

Of the three sizes you mentioned, the 165/80 (or the original 165R15) IMO is really only for concours-correctness. There is no reason to stay with this size for a car that will be driven much.

The 185/70 is a special case. The available tires in theis size are expensive, being marketed as original options for the 911 and a few other cars. Again, not something I'd normally want to put on a driver 914. A nice size for the car, but too expensive.

The 195/65 is a nice choice for my tastes. Wide enough to look good on the rim, but not too wide either. Not very many high end performance choices, but in reality, even a modern mini-van tire will have more grip than the tires these cars came with. So an all-season touring or basic performance tire will give all the grip you will need for normal, or even enthusiastic street use.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Apr 26 2017, 09:55 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have 195/65-15 Michelin Exaltos on my 914-6 and am happy with the ride, handling, and appearance. The major factor seems to be availability of different tires.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 26 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #6

The car is presently on 165 Michelin XZXs. I will try to find out how old they are.

If they require replacement, I will go with 195s in either

Yokohama, Avid Envigor
Firestone Firehawk AS
or Genral Altimax RT43

All are quire reasonably priced on Tire Rack
+Quote Post
arne
post Apr 26 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #7

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

The XZX was a very common replacement tire back in the day, and some of the 1.7 & 1.8 cars came with them from the factory. The 2.0 did not, because the S speed rating (112 mph) of that tire was slightly lower than the published top speed of 115.

The XZX is still available today from Coker Tires, and is the most affordable of the true vintage look tires. But it is still much more expensive than the modern tires you priced at Tire Rack.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 26 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Date of Manufacture is January 09 on the Michelin's, so effectively they are toast. I will get them replaced sometime next week with one of the three previously referenced options.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 26 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Date of Manufacture is January 09 on the Michelin's, so effectively they are toast. I will get them replaced sometime next week with one of the three previously referenced options.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:11 PM