Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear brake upgrade (again, lol), Or,how to get a vented rotor
mepstein
post Jul 4 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 4 2017, 03:13 PM) *

always a fascinating discussion

- must be 300 ideas about this on the internet with more permutations than my old brain can handle

to further upset the cart - see the recent Pelican brakes advert for Part # 911-352-907-00-PMB set of the "M" style calipers showing 914 style e-brake levers - would be a helluva deal if true

http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/911-...SVSVSI=357.htm#

I think it's just a mistake. Some of the pics have an ebrake, some don't.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 4 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 15,144

- must be 300 ideas about this on the internet with more permutations than my old brain can handle

to further upset the cart - see the recent Pelican brakes advert for Part # 911-352-907-00-PMB set of the "M" style calipers showing 914 style e-brake levers - would be a helluva deal if true

Well fuch me, I'll be callin in the mornin bout that 4 shore lol
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 4 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 4 2017, 03:40 PM) *

I think it's just a mistake. Some of the pics have an ebrake, some don't.

All the pix I saw had the e-brake?

Addendum-AH, I see when I click to see the full image set that yes, some do not have the e-brake. Also, some appear not to have the spacer. Definitely be calling for clarification!
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 5 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #44

Well crap.
I just realized the PO had converted the rears using a 4-lug to 5-lug spacer :-(
This means if I want a vented 911SC rotor I have to change out the hub and the spacer as well as adding a spacer to the stock caliper and having the 911 rotor cut down (not to mention longer pins and caliper nut/bolts :-(

I wonder how effective ducting from my Sheridan Standard Widebody would work for efficient rear brake cooling. Certainly easier and more cost effective to do that at this point.

I'm bummed.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 5 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #45

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 5 2017, 06:45 PM) *

Well crap.
I just realized the PO had converted the rears using a 4-lug to 5-lug spacer :-(
This means if I want a vented 911SC rotor I have to change out the hub and the spacer as well as adding a spacer to the stock caliper and having the 911 rotor cut down (not to mention longer pins and caliper nut/bolts :-(

I wonder how effective ducting from my Sheridan Standard Widebody would work for efficient rear brake cooling. Certainly easier and more cost effective to do that at this point.

I'm bummed.

Do 911 5 lug hubs even bolt up to a 4 lug stub axle?
I thought you had to change the whole assembly - trans stub, axle, cv's, etc to use a 911 hub.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 5 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #46

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2017, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 5 2017, 06:45 PM) *

Well crap.

I'm bummed.

Do 911 5 lug hubs even bolt up to a 4 lug stub axle?
I thought you had to change the whole assembly - trans stub, axle, cv's, etc to use a 911 hub.

I think he means adapter, you can get 4-bolt to 5-bolt adapters from VW bug shops.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 5 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #47

Well the good news is that I was wrong!
Indeed it's a 914 hub, but it was re-drilled to a five lug so that means I can use the 911SC rotor AND the 5-lug spacer I have.
Back on track this project! Woot woot.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...onversion_7.jpg
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Jul 5 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #48

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Where is Erc??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 6 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #49

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 5 2017, 09:44 PM) *

MIA
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jul 6 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,073

Tricky part about Summit Point (main) is the T1 entry. With my 911SC, I would just brush 120mph and have to brake to 45-50 ish for T1. Do that 15-20 times a session. A SBC could be pulling closer to 140mph (depending on aero and driver) but still need to brake down the same.. so scrubbing close to 100mph.

The related issue is that you then have T5 -entry to the carousel. While you might enter at 100 ish, you have to brake down again, to 40ish... and by the third hot lap, THIS will be where you really want effective brakes with large heat soak ability, or LOTS of cool air...

imho, messing around with home made this and that vs a proven and supported product that, while giving up the E-Brake, allows you and a passenger / instructor to be confident of high speed stopping seems to be putting a cart before the horse...

At minimum I would encourage you to run SC rotors and calipers front and rear along with ducting to get air on them.

While the prices might be crazy, at least look at the Lots of general good brake info here.. http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/930_upgrade.htm
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 6 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 6 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Tricky part about Summit Point (main) is the T1 entry. With my 911SC, I would just brush 120mph and have to brake to 45-50 ish for T1. Do that 15-20 times a session. A SBC could be pulling closer to 140mph (depending on aero and driver) but still need to brake down the same.. so scrubbing close to 100mph.

The related issue is that you then have T5 -entry to the carousel. While you might enter at 100 ish, you have to brake down again, to 40ish... and by the third hot lap, THIS will be where you really want effective brakes with large heat soak ability, or LOTS of cool air...

imho, messing around with home made this and that vs a proven and supported product that, while giving up the E-Brake, allows you and a passenger / instructor to be confident of high speed stopping seems to be putting a cart before the horse...

At minimum I would encourage you to run SC rotors and calipers front and rear along with ducting to get air on them.

While the prices might be crazy, at least look at the Lots of general good brake info here.. http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/930_upgrade.htm

Thank you for the valuable and obviously experienced based advice for SP.
I already have front SC rotors and calipers. Billy over at Performance Automotive in Kearnesville recommended going to the vented SC rear rotor but my instructor Mark said I could probably get away with the stock 914 rear caliper for now as I'm at novice level and will be for some time I would think. I can say with real authority that while my teener could enter 1 at the speeds you've described, my ability to do so would preclude attempting that for quite some time. In fact I couldn't imagine anything over 100 at this point.
At some point, adding the SC rear calipers would be a must, but I think the vented rear rotors (and yes, maybe even some ducting, we'll see) should suffice for now.
Again, thanks for that bit of advice :-)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 09:34 PM