Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tony's Subaru Conversion Thread
TonyAKAVW
post May 19 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Well, I figured since there has been some pickup in momentum on this project that I would start a thread on my progress. Not to mention its a good way to share whatever ideas I pick up along the way.

The project started in January 2003 when I picked up the silver roller pictured below. Its a '74 and was pretty much stripped. It had a suspension and a few other parts but was missing a lot of major things like and engine, transmission, glass, hoods, gas tank, interior, wheels, etc. etc.

The story of my acquisition of this roller is in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&f=2&t=7991&hl=

After arriving at home:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&f=2&t=8963&hl=

This project got a bit of a slow start. I had to first part and chop up my first 914 and dispose of it. It was badly rusted and where itwasn't rusted it was bondo'd. This was going to be a replacement body for that car.

Then last summer I picked up the yellow '70 roller that is now my daily driver. Since then I've spent most of my 914 time fixing it up and getting it ready for WCC. Now that its in a pretty much stable state and WCC is over I can concentrate on this car.

The current plan is that it will get a Subaru 2.5L naturally aspirated engine in a conversion very similar to Scott Thacher's. The basic timeline is like this:

1. Fix up the body enough to make it roadworthy.
2. Put together the drivetrain (engine, adapter, transmission)
3. Install drivetrain and remaining parts
4. Install an exhaust system and wire up the engine, make it ready to drive
5. Install enough interior to drive it.
6. Drive it around a bit, fix whatever things don't work right
7. Flare the fenders (GT flares)
8. body and paint
9. Finish the interior
10.Performance mods - cams, etc.

I'm hoping that I get it at least roadworthy within a year, and the rest of the stuff within a year after that. Its possible I could get it done faster but we'll see. This is a big project.

Here's the car as it was when I brought it home:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
29 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(360 - 379)
Dr. Roger
post Aug 22 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #361

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

that's just plain HOT!

+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 22 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #362

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

I believe it will work but it will probably work best under way if you had some forced air ducting piped into it also.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) You can do it!!!!
+Quote Post
Bill D
post Aug 22 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #363

Member No.: 6,558

If all else fails before selling out how about moving the radiator where the stock muffler was? There is a jeep radiator 11" tall by 31" wide. I would think there would be other short radiators. Could that work?
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 22 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #364

That's my ride.

QUOTE(Bill D @ Aug 22 2006, 06:54 PM) *

If all else fails before selling out how about moving the radiator where the stock muffler was? There is a jeep radiator 11" tall by 31" wide. I would think there would be other short radiators. Could that work?

Not a bad idea. Though if I had to put the radiator on one end of the car or the other, I 'd rather have it up front to help even out the balance of mass.

There are a few other ideas I have like augmenting the single radiator with one or two motorcycle radiators, etc. I'm sure I'll figure out a good cooling setup. If I can't them I will have to turn in my License to Engineer.

-Tony
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Aug 23 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #365

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

Just sharing my favorite quote, it helps me along when some "doubting Thomas" says there is no way my ideas will work...

"Creative ideas reside in people's minds but are trapped by fear of rejection.
Create a judgement-free environment and you will unleash a torrent of creativity"
Alex Osborn

NO SELLING OUT! We have followed you this far, now make it work dammit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Aug 23 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #366

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

Motorcycle radiators like Brant's racecar... ohhh yeah...

Would be a bit harder w/ headlights though.

Just keep the fingers crossed that it works the 1st time, and you wont have to do all the rest of that work.

BJH
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 23 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #367

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Sorry for asking the BIG QUESTION, didn't expect that many peeps to be questioning your AWSOME SETUP! There are a huge number of high power fans that will suck the hernia out of your rad bro!!! You have the dream setup we all needed to see and mimic!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) The greatest form of flatery is immitation and we are all looking ta do the same thing. RUN THAT BEAST!!
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 24 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #368

That's my ride.

Last night I figured out the problem with the accelerator cable. Turns out that there were two things wrong. First, the throttle cable was wrapped around the clutch cable. As Napoleon Dynamite would say 'FRICK'N IDIOT. GOSH!'

Secondly, the carpet seems to have been causing problems. So I'm going to cut out a couple small areas where it seemed to be binding up. I also lubricated the three ball/cup bushings. With those three things done the throttle works great now.

I also built a bracket for and installed the coolant temperature guage.

Today I'm picking up a part that Phantom914 machined for me (THANKS ANDREW!!!) for the cable shifter. The cables are set to arrive from McMasterCarr today as well. If all goes well I could have the cable shifter installed (meaning the car would be driveable) by Friday or Saturday.

I'll upload photos of the cable shifter as I get it built and installed. Hopefully it works well!

-Tony
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 24 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #369

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

WAY TO GO TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get er done and drive it to the German Auto Fest next month.

BTW, you got a REEEEALY steep driveway.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 25 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #370

That's my ride.

As expected the cable shifter cables arrived today, as well as the last part I needed machined (THANKS PHANTOM914). So right after I got home from work I started getting the parts put together and the cables installed. Didn't quite finish but I got half the gear selection working. I figure another 4 hours and this thing will be fully functional.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 25 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #371

That's my ride.

Couple more pictures. Also the linkage between the Subaru and 914 throttle cables.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 25 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #372

That's my ride.

So far the forward-backward action on the shifter is great. The only slop is from the transmission itself. These cables are humongous. I definitely didn't expect them to be as big as they are. However they both fit through the original shift rod hole with no problem. I've still got a couple brackets to make and need to take care of the in/out movement (in the pictures its hooked up but rather poorly). So Saturday I'm expecting to try this thing out on the road. It won't have an exhaust and undoubtedly the ECU will put the engine in 'limp home' mode, but I should be able to get an idea of how the shifter works.

-Tony
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 25 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #373

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

I would suggest smaller quick-grips on the transmission end, otherwise ground clearance may be a problem.

Also, looking at the first picture, I think the RF amp gain may be a little low for this application. Maybe you can find out which amp is included in the Renegade kit and use that one. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Otherwise, good job!

Andrew
+Quote Post
fat73
post Aug 25 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #374

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(phantom914 @ Aug 25 2006, 06:44 AM) *

I would suggest smaller quick-grips on the transmission end, otherwise ground clearance may be a problem.

Also, looking at the first picture, I think the RF amp gain may be a little low for this application. Maybe you can find out which amp is included in the Renegade kit and use that one. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Otherwise, good job!

Andrew

RF Amp gain? I have the complete Renegade kit and can't say I recognize that one..

Ed
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Aug 25 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #375

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(fat73 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:12 AM) *

Otherwise, good job!

Andrew

RF Amp gain? I have the complete Renegade kit and can't say I recognize that one..

Ed

Agreed, there is no Amp gain with the Renegade kit...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 25 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #376

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(fat73 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:12 AM) *

Otherwise, good job!

Andrew

Ed

Agreed, there is no Amp gain with the Renegade kit...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

In the first pic, he's using an RF amplifier under the quick clamp, as a spacer. It was a nerd joke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 25 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #377

That's my ride.

Gosh, doesn't everyone have junk bins full of surplus electronics?

Well, its not just a function of gain Andrew. This amplifier has a particularly high IP3 and low noise figure. For my shifter I want to make sure my adjacent channel interference doesn't saturate the front end.

-Tony
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 25 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #378

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 25 2006, 11:40 AM) *

Gosh, doesn't everyone have junk bins full of surplus electronics?

Well, its not just a function of gain Andrew. This amplifier has a particularly high IP3 and low noise figure. For my shifter I want to make sure my adjacent channel interference doesn't saturate the front end.

-Tony

OK. I was just trying to save you some trouble, but it looks like you thought this out well enough.

Andrew
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Aug 25 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #379

Member No.: 4,653

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 25 2006, 12:40 PM) *

-Tony

Let me know how this works out for you. I've had a few saturation problems in my front end. Had been thinking of low-tech solutions, like replacing weather stripping, but I think a modular RF amp would be cheaper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Also, I disagree about the Quick Grips. I think the black handles are a nice match with the steering wheel, shift knob, and soldering iron.

It's looking awful clean, Tony. If this were the 80's, Id say it looks righteous.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 25 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #380

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

quite the tower for the shifter!

now i know why my fuch hasnt been cut into a clock yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) LOL
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 07:05 PM