Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 2.7 Euro RS Twin Plug Project, sleeper 914 with a twin plug surprise
davehg
post Sep 19 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

New member, long time lurker here. I'll be posting another 914-6 conversion project shortly, but posting a thanks for now for all the great info I've come across here.

I took the easy way into 914-6 ownership - I bought a completed car that was a track car whose PO had done the hard work. This car has a 3.2L engine, injected, with large riveted composite flares, and a pretty austere race-friendly interior with racing seats, roll cage, and little else - not even side windows or carpeting or panels. This car I refer to as the Outlaw - it's a middle finger to the purists and I absolutely love it.

But...I wanted a clean and pretty "cars and coffee" version. There's not a ton of value restoring the Outlaw. The Outlaw's body is fine, but it is purposely built.

I had bought a project from a local Porschephile who had too many nice projects (356, pre-73 911). his goal was originally to do a big Raby 4. He had stripped, prepped, and beautifully painted a really nice shell, and spent a small fortune getting the original bumpers and details correct. He had a set of mint Fuchs 14" wheels, bits and pieces from 2 interiors, and was really only missing the engine and some trim/interior bits. A deal was struck, trailer was hitched, boxes moved, and now it's my problem.

The conversion wisdom here seems to be to go big - 3.0l or more. But I have a big engine car. This is intended to be just a Sunday cruiser, no track time. Plus, I have access to perfectly nice prepped 2.7L that has case guards installed, a 911s cam, and the work mostly done, for a decent price, and it would sound just swell with PMOs. So I am heading this route. I am taking my time with the Pretty Car - not going to be concours but a great looking driver with super clean details, no flares, and more along the lines of an original -6 with a bit more oomph. I'll detail the suspension bits so it looks pretty on a lift, and I need to think through the oil cooling issues - it doesn't get super hot in the PNW but for a few days a year, and if I can avoid the expense of a front mounted cooler and running lines that would be just swell.

At least that's my current plan. We'll see where my budget leads. I have a good start - great primed and painted rust free shell, all the expensive body work complete, an engine lined up, and a clear vision of where I want to go.

Looking forward to the collective input and experience when I get started this winter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 19 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

As you already know, there is a whole pile of help available here.

Oh yeah...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 19 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The 2.7 is a great engine for your conversion. Mine puts out 199 hp at the rear wheels, so no lack of grunt and a lighter, free revving engine. Sounds like yours has the right components to make it a good reliable engine.

However, figure on putting in a front oil cooler to properly cool anything larger than 2.4 liters.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 19 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

I run my 3.0 with just the cooler on the engine. Works fine so far.

What part of the PNW are you in?
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 19 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 19 2017, 08:27 PM) *

I run my 3.0 with just the cooler on the engine. Works fine so far.

What part of the PNW are you in?

Just up the road from you near Issaquah.

I hear differing thoughts on the oil cooler. I snagged a vellios 2 piece tank on eBay before deciding I may not need it. Also scored all the gauges for a true 914-6 cockpit, including a tach! Bypassing the cooler will save bucks! I still need various interior trim pieces.

Pix of both to follow shortly.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 19 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

There are a few of us here who have just crossed that happy bridge into /6 power. Read a few threads, look at some of the pics of what can be done, and......

+Quote Post
aharder
post Sep 20 2017, 03:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 20 2017, 05:32 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Try it without the cooler and add it if things get warm. Some engines run hotter than others.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 20 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(arne @ Sep 19 2017, 06:01 PM) *

Here is the Outlaw:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505925313.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505925313.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505925313.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505926526.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505926526.2.jpg)

And here is the Pretty Car project:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505925313.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505925314.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505926526.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505926527.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 20 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Very nice let me know if I can help. Check out my 914-6 conversion thread if you need to feel good about your starting point.. Miles ahead of mine.. But along the way I developed 1-5/8" heat exchangers and oil tanks so I think I have an excuse
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 20 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #11

I love coming home to packages.

The Pretty Car came without gauges. Two weeks on eBay and I was able to separately source a 2 piece oil/fuel gauge, 150mph Speedo, and a 914-6 Tech that was new old stock, plus the bezel holding them all. Crossing my fingers the gauges don't require restoration.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1505966377.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 20 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Welcome Dave,
Where in the PNW are ya?
You may find Cary at Middlemotor a good resource as well as there are a few others I can point you at, Looking forward to seeing the project come together.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 21 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Looks like a very worth chassis. I do engine harnesses for 6 conversions so let me know if I can help with that.

I've done a few 6 conversions, so hit me up any time for free advice.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Sep 21 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #14

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 21 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Looks like a very worth chassis. I do engine harnesses for 6 conversions so let me know if I can help with that.

I've done a few 6 conversions, so hit me up any time for free advice.

Good to know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 21 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Thanks Perry and Mikey. I am just outside of Seattle.

Here's where I am thinking about general gameplan - first by starting with a list of what I have and what I will need at various stages:

1. Get a working roller. This entails pulling the suspension bits off the body (they are just there for rolling the body). Take the 911 S front end suspension I got with the project and clean it up, same with the rears (trying to locate two rear 5 lug hubs - either aftermarket or if I can source a 911 rear). Nail down steering rack. Take those pieces and get them powder-coated/plated. Probably will stick with stock shocks/struts and not pursue coil overs. Clean and powdercoat fuel tank.

2. Simultaneously, work on getting the 2.7L ready. It needs top end work, and ditch the CIS for a set of PMOs tweaked to match the engine (it has an S cam).

3. Figure out the oil cooling system. I have a 2 part Vellios tank I got off ebay, but thinking to buck up for the Pelican tank or something similar. I need a complete system - lines, fittings, etc. Will hold off on a front oil cooler - for the drives and climate in the PNW, not sure it's worth the extra $$$.

4. Assemble the roller - suspension - steering - brake - pedal bits. Basically, a true roller. Install power train and connect fuel/oil/brake lines. Finish electrical wiring. Essentially, get a running roller with only interior to finish.

5. Finish interior/trim/glass/rubber. I'll need a new dash top, reupholster stock seats (tartan plaid inserts maybe!), and finish interior with RS style interior - new RS door panels, grey carpet, many misc. bits. Glass and trim finished too. I think I need lots of rubber.

6. Watch as this project sucks all my free cash, but smile when it's done!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 21 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

The 2 piece tanks off ebay take some specialty tools. I have a few tanks I bought off folks who gave up on them and traded them in on my completed tanks. Plus they are really heavy.

I will have to look at pelican as they are supposed to be carrying my tanks now as well.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Sep 21 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2017, 09:43 AM) *

Very nice let me know if I can help. Check out my 914-6 conversion thread if you need to feel good about your starting point.. Miles ahead of mine.. But along the way I developed 1-5/8" heat exchangers and oil tanks so I think I have an excuse

I may need to chat. Oil tank is on the short list. I am starting from ground zero on the oil tank and fittings. No front cooler at this point. Heat exchangers I need to revisit as part of the exhaust review - not sure what the 2.7 comes with. It gets cold in the PNW and windshields fog up, so heat is a necessity.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 21 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #18

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.....WELCOME! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 21 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(davehg @ Sep 21 2017, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2017, 09:43 AM) *

I may need to chat. Oil tank is on the short list. I am starting from ground zero on the oil tank and fittings. No front cooler at this point. Heat exchangers I need to revisit as part of the exhaust review - not sure what the 2.7 comes with. It gets cold in the PNW and windshields fog up, so heat is a necessity.

I make both oil tanks and heatexchangers..

I actually listed a few oil tanks in the classifieds at a really good discount because I have a few too many in stock right now..
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 22 2017, 07:03 AM
Post #20

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Looks like you got two nice cars there. Way to jump into the pool. Lots of great information on this site that you can take advantage of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:07 PM