Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Write a 914 Buyers Guide and get paid for it!, Veloce Publishing
timothy_nd28
post Sep 22 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Interesting that this was posted yesterday
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=316715

I agree to a point that there is not one authority that is a expert in every area with our 914's. Even the late Capn' and Dr. 914 were incorrect time from time with some of their answers given on these forums.

Perhaps co-authoring would be the best route with this project, and have the draft posted here for critiques and or further development. The scientific community has peer reviewed journals before publishing. I think if we mirrored this approach, this could be a very useful book.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Sep 22 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

I could write it, BUT it would be completely focused on examining and quantifying the psychological baggage and damage that had to have occured for a potential buyer to think it was a good idea!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 22 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #43

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 22 2017, 09:15 AM) *

Interesting that this was posted yesterday
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=316715

I agree to a point that there is not one authority that is a expert in every area with our 914's. Even the late Capn' and Dr. 914 were incorrect time from time with some of their answers given on these forums.

Perhaps co-authoring would be the best route with this project, and have the draft posted here for critiques and or further development. The scientific community has peer reviewed journals before publishing. I think if we mirrored this approach, this could be a very useful book.

Love the peer review idea, but it could not publicly be posted, just peer reviewed by a select few.

I hear through the grapevine that an author has been selected - anyone here?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 24 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 22 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Love the peer review idea, but it could not publicly be posted, just peer reviewed by a select few.

I hear through the grapevine that an author has been selected - anyone here?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Veloce's show, and resources, so Veloce would be the cat herder as well as format/plan/author decider...as it should be. And if it's published for all to see, you end up with two problems: 1) Hundreds (?) of cooks in the kitchen, and 2) Not a lot of incentive to pay for or publish a document or information that can be viewed for free online.

There are some REALLY solid talents here on 914world.com, so I am hoping Veloce is watching and maybe asks a few folks here who would make a good "short list" of 10-12~ people if they want to do multiple authors, and then narrow that down to 5-7 (or however many chapters there are). I think the community will know better than I do, but some longtime members with perspective to ask might include Sir Andy, Dave Darling, Jeff Bowlsby, Marty Yeoman, MSDS Inc, and there are others. The trick is not overwhelming oneself with too many voices.

The alternative is to hire a pro. As a pro, I can say I wouldn't want to write anything BUT a forward to this book. I feel like I maybe have some perspective on the 914 to add, but not much more. It's one thing to know a little about a lot, but books like this need those who know a lot about a little to share their knowledge before it's gone. Then there are the rare ones who actually know a lot about a lot. They are exceedingly rare, as in I can probably count the ones I've met on one hand...and I do not count myself among them.

Whatever happens here, it's neat that this project is under development. Sorely needed, and I hope it lives up to its potential!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 02:07 AM