Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nelson National???, I'm teetering on the edge
groot
post May 21 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Dis member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,444

Yo, Eric. I'm really thinking about joining you this upcoming weekend. I've got a tranny seal coming on Monday and if I can get the car together and ready by Monday, packed on Tuesday, I'll be at Nelson. I have a work trip out of town Wed-Fri. So, if I go, I won't get to Nelson until late on Friday.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 21 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Kevin,
What are the specs of the engine you are currently running? cam, carbs, etc.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 21 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,335

Kevin,

Wish I knew you needed the seal, I have one in my toolbox. I have a hotel in falls church? Holiday Inn Express, you can have the floor if you want it. I am unsure of my crew situation. But If I can restack the Hewland Tuesday PM, I will be in good shape. Gary Martz is signed up and so is Christine Fox. She goes okay, but Martz is the fast one. WOuld love to see you there.

Erik Madsen

508-524-3145
+Quote Post
groot
post May 22 2005, 06:30 AM
Post #4

Dis member

Chris,

I'm running a mildly-warmed over 2.0L. Dell 40s, no idea what cam. From the data, I'm making ~110 horsepower at 4500 and 130 lb-ft of torque also at 4500 RPM. I make no power over 5100.

Eric,

Sam Halkias and John Schmitt are signed up too. Those guys are fast. I won't be running up there, that's for sure. I'll move over to let you by when you lap me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif).
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 22 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #5

We'll see what happens there. Halkias is fast as is Schmidt, so it will be a good indication of the potential of the car. That is if I can finish it.

Erik
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 22 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE (groot @ May 22 2005, 08:30 AM)
Chris,

I'm running a mildly-warmed over 2.0L. Dell 40s, no idea what cam. From the data, I'm making ~110 horsepower at 4500 and 130 lb-ft of torque also at 4500 RPM. I make no power over 5100.

Eric,

Sam Halkias and John Schmitt are signed up too. Those guys are fast. I won't be running up there, that's for sure. I'll move over to let you by when you lap me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif).

Any time/$$ to do a rebuild on that engine with a little head work and a cam change? You could pick up 40 hp without a lot of effort.
+Quote Post
groot
post May 22 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #7

Dis member

I've considered it. It's got some headwork done to it, but I doubt it's what it needed. I figure a good cam would wake this engine up, but I've got a few bucks tied up in an engine from Jake. This engine is only supposed to be a "get the bugs sorted out of the chassis/suspension" powerplant.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 22 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #8

I am Tangerine Racing

I understand, but when will that engine actually be ready to install? Getting a super duper engine up and running in the car takes a lot of effort.
In the meantime you need to score some points if you are gonna qualify for the big show.
I know that in Nediv in FP some guys who want to go just aren't going to get in this year. Merely finishing 4 races won't be enough as it has been in the past few years.
+Quote Post
TimT
post May 22 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #9

retired

Member No.: 313

Ive never been to Nelson, but in the past ive heard its a track on the decline?

Have they put some money into the track and facilities?
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 22 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Yes,

Some repaving, but it is still rough. Otherwise the facilities suck. But many people like the track. We'll see.

Erik Madsen
+Quote Post
groot
post May 23 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #11

Dis member

Chris,

You're absolutely right about only finishing 4 races won't be enough to qualify. Certainly not in EP in CENDIV. I'm very worried about this and am doing everything I can to give myself a decent shot at getting in the top 10. I've got 5 in division races and 3 out of division races on my schedule. If I don't make it this year, then I don't. But, I'll give it my best shot.

I also agree that stuffing in a real engine is non-trivial, hence the reason to get the rest of the car worry-free.

Eric,

The entry's in the mail. So, we'll see how the assembly goes tonight. As of now, there are 7(!) EP cars entered... at Nelson? Nelson, historically, is the place people go to chase points because nobody goes there, but there are 7 entries in EP (8 including me).

I went to Nelson at the end of last season. Even with the repaving, it's really rough. There's a high-speed right-hander that's got huge bumps all the way through it.
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 23 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #12

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Kevin, if you get a chance, I'd like to see some more pics of your car, if there are more already in the member's car section, sorry!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
groot
post May 23 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #13

Dis member

You know..... I haven't actually taken that many. What would you like to see? If it's not in this thread let me know and I'll take some and send them to you.

some pics of EP car

The exterior paint got all messed up and I need to respray, but that will have to wait until I go with f/g hood and trunk.
+Quote Post
groot
post May 23 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Dis member

All right. I got the seal for the transmission input shaft today. Installed it, put the trans on the engine, stuffed that into the car, hooked everything up and filled it with oil. It's alive now.

So, I think I'll be there this weekend. I still have to travel for work, so that puts another variable in the equation.

See you there!!
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post May 23 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Excellent!

I will be leaving at noon on Friday, My little guy is finishing his first year of pre school. So I'm not missing it. Besides, If I did, I would find my stuff on the lawn, when I came home. Kevin, Don't forget the small stuff, Brake fluid, pads, slicks, battery charged etc.. I understand their are no electrical hook ups?. Will you have the hot line on a high ground pit spot?? and when do you think you will be arriving? I will not get their until Saturday AM. I will be in the area late Friday, but won't make it to registration until Sat Am. Just need to restack the trans and some small maintenance. See you there. Write my cell phone number down to reach me if you get a pit spot that isn't in the quag mire.

Erik Madsen
508-524-3145 cell
+Quote Post
groot
post May 24 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #16

Dis member

My flight doesn't get back to detroit until 4:15 on Friday, so I won't get to the track until 8:30pm at the earliest on Friday. So, we may be stuck in the swamp.

Not sure about electrical hook-ups. I have a 400 watt inverter I use to charge my car.

My cell # is 313-805-2825
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 30 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #17

I am Tangerine Racing

Kevin,
It looks like it was worthwhile for you to attend after all.
Good job!
5th place is pretty good considering the size of the field and your current powerplant.
Tell us about the race.

Chris
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 09:17 AM