Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prying open heat exchangers..., ... and crimping them closed again
DaveO90s4
post Oct 16 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

Hi all,

It looks like the top section and the bottom section of OEM heat exchanges are simply crimped at the seams. Does anyone know if it is feasible to un-crimp them, take them apart and later on re-crimp them?

If so, then I'll have a go at using the spare set of heat exchangers I have (with some modifications) for the heat exchangers on my to-be-built exhaust for my 2.8L Corvair transplant.

Thanks all,
Dave
Oz
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
80cap
post Oct 17 2017, 05:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,405

That is what I did. I took some patience but it turned out ok. I had the pipes ceramic coated and sprayed the tins with heat paint.
Brian
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 17 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Oct 16 2017, 10:50 PM) *

Hi all,

It looks like the top section and the bottom section of OEM heat exchanges are simply crimped at the seams. Does anyone know if it is feasible to un-crimp them, take them apart and later on re-crimp them?

If so, then I'll have a go at using the spare set of heat exchangers I have (with some modifications) for the heat exchangers on my to-be-built exhaust for my 2.8L Corvair transplant.

Thanks all,
Dave
Oz

So how do you adapt 4 cylinder heat exchangers to a 6 cylinder Corvair engine ?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 17 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Oct 16 2017, 09:50 PM) *

Hi all,

Thanks all,
Dave
Oz

Worked for me. They are spot welded in places - it is a pita job, but it works.
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Oct 17 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #5

So how do you adapt 4 cylinder heat exchangers to a 6 cylinder Corvair engine ?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
[/quote]

Thanks all for the confirmation that it is doable.

Envisage the RH heat exchanger and exhaust intact.
The cold air inlet part runs inboard front to back, then does a U turn at the back to wrap around the exhaust and runs forward to the heater flapper unit.
I will open it up into two complete halves, top and bottom.
I will use one half as a guide to bending the new exhaust so it will fit back inside the heat exchanger once recrimped.
I will remove most of the inboard parallel cold air inlet section in the immediate vicinity of the engine - it would be in the way of each exhaust tube from the heads
The top half and bottom half will each have three half round holes in the correct position to line up with the three exhaust tubes (these are J tubes and will run horizontally into heat echanger)
The shortened cold air inlet section will have an end to receive cold air - a longer concertina cold air hose will run from engine bay heater fan and down through the new engine tinware I've already made to feed cold air to this point of the heat exchanger,
Trial fit, finesse and once all is good recrimp the top and bottom two halves together with new exhaust in situ.
Repeat for LH side.

Assuming I plan it properly and execute it carefully I can't see why it wouldn't work - now that I know it is feasible to uncrimp and recrimp the two halves.

Cheers
Dave
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 17 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Can't wait to see this unfold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Oct 17 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 18 2017, 07:25 AM) *

Can't wait to see this unfold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good pun.

My cunning plan may work. It may not. But nothing to lose by giving it a go. Can't legally register a car here where I live if the windscreen demisters don't work, so short of installing a 12v heater / hair dryer I've got to have heat exchangers. Can't think of a cheaper more pragmatic way than to try to modify a spare set I already have.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 17 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I completely get it.. Check out my heat exchanger design thread..anything is possible.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Oct 17 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Govm'nt meddling again....

I wonder if you could get the fresh air fan to work well enough to pass the test. How do they check for that anyway?

Why do you want to take them apart? are there holes? You could wrap it with that stuff "as seen on TV" They make a high temp version. Can't remember the damn name tho. You dip the roll in water and wrap whatever you want to wrap and it cures hard as a brick. I used some on my HE. 40000 miles and it is still wrapped enough to blow super hot air.

Good Luck.
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Oct 17 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 18 2017, 12:09 PM) *

I wonder if you could get the fresh air fan to work well enough to pass the test. How do they check for that anyway?

Why do you want to take them apart? are there holes? You could wrap it with that stuff "as seen on TV" They make a high temp version. Can't remember the damn name tho. You dip the roll in water and wrap whatever you want to wrap and it cures hard as a brick. I used some on my HE. 40000 miles and it is still wrapped enough to blow super hot air.

Good Luck.

I have to take them apart to be able to either:
1. Weld 3 inlet tubes from the three exhaust outlets into place on the existing tubing, or
2. As above and add complete new exhaust tubing if the current tubing is beyond further use.

Don't think I can do either without 'peeling the banana'.

Dave
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 18 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Oct 18 2017, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 18 2017, 12:09 PM) *

Good Luck.

I have to take them apart to be able to either:
1. Weld 3 inlet tubes from the three exhaust outlets into place on the existing tubing, or
2. As above and add complete new exhaust tubing if the current tubing is beyond further use.

Don't think I can do either without 'peeling the banana'.

Dave

I guess it needs to work for you if that's the regulations,hair dryers are useless and draw to much current ...ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
I have deleted my heater control and just have a switch to run the blower on full speed ,demists the screen fine,I proved you don't need warm air,my Audi for instance will demist with the AC on for a short time.
I think it would depend on your climate which I would say would be colder than where I live in NZ.
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Oct 21 2017, 04:56 AM
Post #12

Progress.

Two photos. One showing heat exchanger opened without damage and other showing 914 exhaust in approximate position to be modified to fit the 6 cyl Corvair engine.

Cheers

Dave
Australia

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:49 PM