Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Totalled my (first) 914 in 3 weeks, No insurance... please help
drgchapman
post May 25 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #21

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What a shame. I saw that car at Craig's, nice one......was. We have a 73 signal orange 2.0 using as daily driver as the weather drys up here in Portland. Seem to have our own share of near misses......don't seem to happen as much with Suburban or Mercedes. I don't see a target on the side of the car! I hope you find a suitable tub to rebuild with. If not you have some mighty fine looking bumpers there........
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jet1
post May 25 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) that sux!!

Good luck with the insurance.
+Quote Post
Allan
post May 25 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #23

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

That really blows... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Sorry to hear about the accident.

It still warms my heart when a teener sacrifices itself to protect it's driver.
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post May 25 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 770

Man. I think we need a moment of silence for that one. I'm sadder about this then when my cat died. I remember when you got that car. It was a beauty. Wasn't that jims car at one point? From tennessee or something. Anyway, I seriously feel for you because i've been there. It sucks to total a 914. If it helps here are the pictures of the tree that hit me.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....&threadid=89380

In my case it was twisted as well. Frame machine helped, but it was done sauce. I got a really nice 72 replacement for it and that made the pain a little less. Oh yeah no insurance on that one either.

Eric
+Quote Post
jet1
post May 25 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

I am surprised the windshield did not crack. It looks like it popped out a little.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 25 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #26

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

ouch! what happened??????
+Quote Post
914GT
post May 25 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

It's a car. Be glad you didn't get hit on the driver's door.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 25 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

bummer eh? glad to hear you are okay. i'll have to reread the ins hassle. bottom line hold on to the car. there's plenty of parts to help you recoup your loses. perhaps a post dated apprasial from one in the know, aka camp914.

k
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 25 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Did you have a policy bound? Meaning did you pay money for a policy, then waiting for the apprasial only? Or were you waiting to bind coverage after the appraisal was done?

If you paid money for a policy, and your coverage dates were covering the accident date - you indeed have coverage. I don't know if you have a department of insurance in Canada - but I'd check it out and involve them if possible.

Good luck, glad you walked away.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 25 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

If they are going to state that your car was not insured - there is a generalized auto insurance (at least in the states) sort of rule. You have 30 days to notify your insurance provider of new car, during that period you are covered under the same amounts as your other cars on your policy. That may have been the rule for the insurance company I worked for - worth investigating. Also, if the broker did write you a policy and the insurance company will not cover you - there may be a liability on the brokers part. Most likely a claim on their "EO" or errors and omissions policy that he should have to write business.
+Quote Post
Dan_F
post May 25 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 3,759

Thanks for the sympathy everyone... the car was owned by Jim Chambers, originally from Nebraska.
There's alot of new parts on the car, all bumper rubber is brand new, seats and backpad were just recovered, paint was brand new, etc. Trunk seals and door seals were just replaced.

I think taking the car to Palo Alto is out of the question, I'm assuming it would cost thousands to repair. Is that a fair assumption?
I have no idea where the closest place would be that has the proper equipment but it's interesting to hear that it looks fixable.

As for insurance, I didn't have any kind of policy set up yet because I was told I needed the appraisal to apply. The appraisal was done before the accident but I had not received the paperwork yet. The insurance broker that I bought the basic insurance from is helping me out but I don't know if that will be enough.

The most important thing is that my girlfriend wasn't with me. A passenger would have been hurt quite bad I think.

I was hit by a Toyota Tercel. A bigger vehicle would have made me much less fortunate physically as I would have smashed into the meridian. The only pain is financial and that can be fixed over time. Could be worse I guess.
+Quote Post
Toast
post May 25 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #32

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

Thats the side I always get hit on. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

Sorry, that really sucks. Looks like frame is bent, definatly totaled. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I wish you luck getting $. Insurance may deny because you did not recieve your notice until 2 days after accident.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 25 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #33

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ouch! Glad to hear you're OK.

Been there. I feel your pain. That looks like it can be fixed to me. If you can get it fixed properly, in the long run I don't think it would cost much more than finding a replacement tub in your neck of the woods.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 25 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #34

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Sorry to hear about that, but glad your ok.

Wait till you hear from SPIC (or whatever it's called) before you decide.

It might be fixable, but you will be without the car for a long time. Try your local trades college to see if they are interested in repairing it for their autobody courses.

or I know where a roller is.... Nevada car, needs all the nice parts yours has. Only problem is that it will be a few weeks before it can be accessed (too much water here to get to it)

only pic I have of it....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 25 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #35

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

I know the Canucks are not backward.....do the research thingy and find a frame repair shop with a good frame puller and ask them what it would cost to pull it back....you'll have a better idea then of what to do.

While shipping sucks...I have a door and full rear clip if you want to repair it. I'll cut it, you pay for shipping...nothing else.
+Quote Post
joeav8tor
post May 25 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3,493

sorry brother! that sucks...at least you walked away from it unharmed....but it still hurts...it hurts me to look at the pictures. Hopefully it will work out for you, hang in there. Have a couple of these... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif)
Joe
+Quote Post
mihai914
post May 25 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 3,697

Call the Canadian Insurance Bureau and talk to one of their reps. They are supposed to be watching insurance companys in Canada. Although they do not have any power to get things in your favor, they can suggest you the beat way to go through a problem with an insurance company.

www.ibc.ca is their website.

These guys are supposed to be neutral but most of the time they know it's the small guy against the big assholes so they will tell you the tricks to put them on their knees if you are in the right to do so of course.

Mihai
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 25 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #38

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I feel for you Dan. Hope you can get a decent settlement.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 25 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #39

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56

Saskatchewan has SGI or Saskatchewan Government Insurance (not SPIC as I previously posted Sask. Public Ins. Corp.) Here it's MPIC. Both are a crown corporation.

Hard to fight the government. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 25 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #40

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

I owned a Cellette chassis table like Sir Andy mentioned. I wouldn't fix that car. Cowl hits are the worse. I can see the windsheild pillar and cowl are rolled in. The roll bar is distorted, the back half is kicked up.... Bad hit.... sorry (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) Really glad your ok, it was a really nice car. Maybe you can make a deal with Bruce.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 06:37 AM