Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Corviar Engine Installed
DaveO90s4
post Nov 21 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

Hi all,

For a few months now I've been working on installing a 2.8L 'reverse rotation' Corvair engine into my 75 1.8L 914.

The engine is notionally a 140HP engine, but has been modified - before my purchase of it - with a more interesting cam (Ott 30), triple zeniths 40 TINs (with throats bored to breath better) and a reverse rotation cam shaft so the engine goes spins the correct way to have 5 forward gears and one reverse, rather than vice versa). Have used original side shift gear shift rod and all clears in all gears

The engine is now all in, all fits with no body modifications required whatsoever.

I've driven it briefly, only in 1st and reverse, but with no exhaust system, which is now being made.

Here are a few photos taken in the last few days.

The flexible hose hanging in one of the photos is the cold air feed for the heat exchangers The heat exchangers will wrap around the secondaries - giving ample clearance for axle movement up and down.

More than happy to add additional photos or respond to any questions.

Cheers
Dave

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0398.MOV ( 1.68mb ) Number of downloads: 50
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 21 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 21 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Nice. Keep the pics coming as well as driving experience. Dr Evil put a Corvair engine in his bus.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 21 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Excellent job!!!!
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 21 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #5

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Nov 22 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,556

Very cool! I was in the market for corvair motor before a “big-4” dropped in my lap. Any plans to dyno it? I’d love to see what numbers you get for comparison. It might bring more conversions if people can give us true HP figures.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 22 2017, 03:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,338

Love it! Great to see one installed. If I ever did an engine swap, it'd probably be a Corvair engine. I better start collecting parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 22 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Neat, how much $ do you figure it costs to build up one of those motors?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 22 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #9

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It really is not that much to get, rebuild, modify, and install a corvair engine in a 914. I was doing this until a 2.7 Porsche motor dropped in my lap. I sold the first kit I had gathered and machined for a 3.1L using type IV p/c. Then, the bus idea came along (see the link in my signature). It runs and drives with the 4bbl, currently. I have the triple ported heads, but didn't see a need for Weber 3C carbs due to cost and the fact that it is a glorified mini van. In a 914, different story and I would go with all the hop ups. We have a significant amount of support in the states for corvairs and modifications. Look on ebay and search "vw corvair" and you will find all you need for pretty cheap. r3dplanet is building an impeccable corvair engine for his conversion. Makes mine look like dog ass. I didn't reverse my engine as I wanted an automatic trans for the mini van, kept the 2 speed power glide, rebuilt it and put Posi into it. I have had my bus over 100mph on a long, dark, straight, level freeway on the way to Canada for a clinic a few years ago. That was when I had the wrong roller rockers installed (sold under false advertising) that then broke off on a follow up trip to Scotty Bs shop. If anyone wants help with corvair stuff, I am here for ya. I like building them, they are pretty easy and cheap compared to our cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Definitely interested in your heater idea. I think I will see about commissioning someone with stainless welding skills to make me a set. The bus has no heat and that is not doable for about 4mo out of the year.
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Nov 22 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 20,556

R3dPlanet’s build is a GREAT read and inspired me very much. OP should definitely look it up in the search. Hopefully he will have more updates soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Nov 22 2017, 11:07 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,935

Hi all, nice to read the positive feedback (If I were to post on a Porsche 928 forum that I was putting a Chev engine in my 928 I would certainly not get this sort of positive response).

To answer some questions:

- Cost to build the engine? I don't know, I bought it like this. But it was much much much cheaper than an equivalent used 911 engine similar displacement. Chev parts are much cheaper then Porsche parts, I suspect labour rates for skilled Chev engine rebuilders are less than for their equivalent Porsche rebuiling counterparts so whilst i do ot know for certain I'd have to be pretty confident the costs are much less. And no magnesium cases for studs to pull out of either.

-Dyno. Well, maybe. One day. It'd be a shame to drive it to a dyno and come home on a trailer with a rod through a block. I'm sort of hoping it may perform almsot as well as my 911 3.2Carrrera - 914 will be less powerful but then again it is much lighter. I may try some timed acceleration tests between the two - without revving it so high as to bl;ow it up (yet).

-Contact with Red3Planet. Yes he and I have been in frequent contact about our respective Corvair transplants. I had the time advantage of starting with a completely assembled engine. Coupled with the disadvantage of not knowing really if its any good.

And here are some more photos from beneath - now with heat exchangers added plus the muffler by-pass system added to each side.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
1adam12
post Nov 23 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,132

Great job mate! Should be awesome once you get it on the road. Was there already a motor mount available for the conversion or is your custom? Also, are those valve cut out installed towards on the exhaust after the heat exchangers?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 23 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Awesome build. I would suggest changing out as many exhaust fittings as you can to V bands and add some braided flex pipe into your system. You have a lot of potential leaks and V bands will solve it. The rear section (viewed fro the rear) has a tube on each side the leaves the 90°, goes left/right and angles up. I would add a flex pipe at each side. This will help with leaks and vibration destruction.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:59 PM