Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thinking of selling..., Need some advice
spare time toys
post Jun 10 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #61

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I bet that guy who pays with a money order that is waaay toooo much and wants you to send the extra to his agent in Cokamunga would snap this one up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 10 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #62

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814
Region Association: None

I have a climate controlled garage and I would happily park my daily driver outside for the privilidge of storing your beautiful car. I'd even make sure it gets driven once in a while, just to keep seals and such in good condition. I'll change oil regularly, and make sure the tank stays full with only the best premium fuels available. I'll make sure no dust ever settles on the paint, no insects/critters take up residence on, under, or even near it. I'll buy brand new Egyptian cotton cloths custom made for the sole purpose as cleaning cloths for the windows and dash. I'll buy a nitrogen tank to fill the tires and maintain a proper pressure after having semicircular indentions put into the floor of my garage so that your tires don't get flat-spotted for where it will sit

Please, don't sell your car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Jun 10 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #63

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

I can tell you from experience you will regret it. My 1st Porsche 914 was acquired in 1982; I lovingly restored it to be daily driver, even did a color change, I did it with little money while in college, I traded it in when CA smog laws became enacted and traded it into a brand new 1986 Jetta GLI. I traded the GLI in for a 1974 911 coupe, that car sat in my garage for 8 years; I got married, got 3 kids, mortgage, etc. I have since been driving a SUV 1991 Rodeo. After savings, I was able to use the 911 as down payment for a 1983 SC cabriolet. It sat around for 3 years. I sold that cabriolet and have since gotten a 914; from the moment I drove the 914, it brought memories long forgotten. Even though I drive it less than 10 miles a month, I derive vicarious pleasure from its go-cart like feeling. The upshot of this diatribe is that you WILL REGRET IT. my 2cents.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 10 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #64

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

10 miles a month! Once a month donut run?

You know, in the end these are just cars. If you lose interest and move on to a new marque or new hobby, it's no shame to sell your car. I got my silver 914 and my black 911 from owners who no longer drove their cars anymore. They both had them for a good number of years but eventually lost interest and the cars sat more than they were driven.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 10 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #65

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Jun 9 2005, 10:53 PM)
I think you would get $25000 to $30000

while i'm all for raising the value of our little cars, i think you guys are being unrealistic.

no one (and i mean no-one) would pay $30k for a /4.
not even $20k. not without some really special things to it.
like proven racing history or a special factory build or a prototype.

he's got a very nice car and he dumped a lot of money into it but let's face it, he'll *never* get his money back. not even close.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 10 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #66

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 10:49 AM)

he's got a very nice car and he dumped a lot of money into it but let's face it, he'll *never* get his money back. not even close.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) Andy

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I don't think there is a 914 worth 50k...
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 10 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 4

andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k? you have more than that into your car!!!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 10 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #68

Resident German

QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k?  you have more than that into your car!!!

i didn't say it wasn't worth that much. i said no-one will PAY that much ...

it's all nice us talking about how much a car is worth and how much it *should* sell for, but it's just that, us talking.
when was the last time you saw a nice /4 sell for $30k? i mean, actually SOLD for that amount of money ???

yes, i have over $20k in my car and i know i will *never* be able to get that back. not even half. and i don't care because i never planned on selling anyways ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 10 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k?  you have more than that into your car!!!

i didn't say it wasn't worth that much. i said no-one will PAY that much ...

it's all nice us talking about how much a car is worth and how much it *should* sell for, but it's just that, us talking.
when was the last time you saw a nice /4 sell for $30k? i mean, actually SOLD for that amount of money ???

yes, i have over $20k in my car and i know i will *never* be able to get that back. not even half. and i don't care because i never planned on selling anyways ...

I didn't say $30k, I said $15-$20k.

so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it? drive it on day one. a car totally done right. you could have the same reasoning, keep it forever. this is about as close as you will get to a "new" 914 that was professionally built by two of the best known 914 shops (raby and PM).
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Jun 10 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #70

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844

while i'm all for raising the value of our little cars, i think you guys are being unrealistic.

Wrong. Go back and read Jake's post. There are some people that want one of every thing. They want the best and will pay for it. Like Craig said, all the right upgrades, done by a recognized shop.

Andy I respect your knowledge and value your opinion, but you have to see this car in person to see how complete and nice it is. To a serious car collector who wants the best, 30K is nothing.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 10 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #71

Resident German

QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Jun 10 2005, 09:13 AM)
To a serious car collector who wants the best, 30K is nothing.

if you can find one, then by all means, do it!

all the serious car collectors i have met so far were much more interested in cars like factory GTs with racing history.
and yes, $30k is nothing for them ...

i know of one who has already spent upwards of $30k building a GT replica and the car isn't even a roller yet ...

my point was, no matter how nice the car is, it'll be hard to find someone to spend that much on a "simple" /4 ...

don't get me wrong guys, i'm not trying to downtalk that car. i love it! i just think you're not being very realistic when it comes to the current resale value ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 10 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #72

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Well, I think it would definitely sell in the $15-20K range - $30K would be a huge stretch.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 10 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #73

Resident German

QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:12 AM)
so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it?

me personally? two reasons ...

1) i like building a car up myself. there's something about having done the work yourself ...

2) i like my car customized. even if i bought his car, i'd be thinking about flares and rollcages and a 3.6 conversion ...

+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 10 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #74

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:12 AM)
so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it?

me personally? two reasons ...

1) i like building a car up myself. there's something about having done the work yourself ...

2) i like my car customized. even if i bought his car, i'd be thinking about flares and rollcages and a 3.6 conversion ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

it's scary that Andy and I are in agreement today, but every one has a different "vision" for their car... we all want our custom touches and personality in the car...

I couldn't be happy with anyone elses completed project, no matter how perfect it was for them... it wouldn't be "perfect" for me
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jun 10 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #75

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

This is (almost) exactly the car that I would build today. Even though doing it myself would cost way more money, I don't think that I would pay $20K, and I'm stupid when it comes to this kind of thing (ask my wife). If I could "buy it now" for $15K, I'd have some serious 'splaining to do at home, but I'd probably figure how to make it happen. Of course there's a bunch of people with more money than I have... 15 to 20k sounds accurate to me.

Eric
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 10 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #76

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Random thoughts after reading this thread...

I'd hate to see you sell it because you'll take a loss. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's worth the highest price to a collector who has plenty of money and just wants to buy it and have it. Very nice car!

I will spend more on my project in the long run and it won't be as nice. Is that foolish spending? No, I can't afford to just pay the full amount up front. My project will nickel and dime me to death, but I can afford a nickel and dime along the way easier than I can fork over the full amount at once. Kinda like making payments.

Building my project is a hobby. I don't care if I don't recover my investment. I am enjoying the build.
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Jun 10 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #77

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

My advice is to keep it, I stored mine for 13 years waiting for it to come back around in my life. Glad I did it.

It sounds like you're going to keep it for now. But just in case, I am actually offering $15K.

Eric
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 10 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #78

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Yellowbeard...your going to fit right in here (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 10 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #79

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Aren't you unemployed at the moment?

Miles has guitars worth more than most of our houses... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

(but he doesn't have any vintage Recaro Sport seats) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 10 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #80

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There are only a couple of 4 cars I can think of that would bring over $15k
1. A real COA Grasshopper
2. The white Bumpered 76 "Special" 914 with all the Factory Guys standing around it.
3. A real COA Sporto 4 banger
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 07:23 AM