Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED headlight bulb install, Vintage Car LED VC 4000
gereed75
post Aug 26 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

These lights are the second to highest in their product line. Chose them because they are preassembled into an H4 lens and do not use a fan.

This started as a 1 hour project that as usual turned into a 4 hour thing. After fighting nearly 50 year old screws the biggest issue became where to mount the circuit board box that is part of the assembly. First impression is it should be easy, but there is really not that much room in the headlight bucket as the assembly rotates up and down and the placement is not inconsequential.

Not inconsequential because one placement caught my plastic trim bucket and caused a stress crack. Bummer as these are original white ones on my '70 car.

At any rate, I ended up wrap tying onto the bracket that holds the spring. This position is a good fit. and remains out of the way as the assembly moves through its motion. Pix below.

Maybe this will save someone else some time (and a cracked plastic trim bucket).

Warning: Many wrap ties died in the completion of this project.

Oh yea, great product, low beams project a very diffuse pattern that lights a big area in front of the car. High beams are very effective. Makes night driving a whole new and safer experience. NICE!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 13 2021, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I just received a set of these lights. I will tackle this project soon and take some pictures as well. I suspect finding a suitable location to secure the power module will be the biggest issue. Stay tuned and a special thanks to @gereed75 for taking the time to post about this exact issue and take and post pictures.
Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 13 2021, 12:16 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Any issues with your hi/lo beam selector relay after the install?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 13 2021, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Michael

Hi Jeff,

I actually plugged mine in just to test that exact issue and they seemed to work with no issues at all. On/off, hi/low, etc.

Michael
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 13 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 26 2018, 06:11 PM) *

…one placement caught my plastic trim bucket and caused a stress crack. Bummer as these are original white ones on my '70 car.

Maybe this will save someone else some time (and a cracked plastic trim bucket).

Oh yea, great product, low beams project a very diffuse pattern that lights a big area in front of the car. High beams are very effective. Makes night driving a whole new and safer experience. NICE!!

Sorry to hear one of your 914's original parts was damaged.

Thank you for letting us know your take on the performance with LEDs in H4 housings, as I've been weighing whether to add LEDa to my H4s. Bought these, but apparently managed to order the 5.75s and had to return them > wait for the 7s.

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/

Another long lead time got me to wondering if the bulbs or housings are unique to the company. Eventually, I found these

For $29, curiosity got the better of me and they were delivered before the replacement 7-inch H4 units were. They sure looked like the same bulbs to me, so I returned the 7-inch units. I have yet to try the bulbs, as there's a lot of conflicting info out there re: LED bulbs in H4 housings. Also need to find some garage time, which is rarer than I'd like!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 16 2021, 03:57 PM
Post #6

Michael

OK, so I tacked this today after reviewing @gereed75 pictures and posting. Very simple after that. Love that these lights look perfectly correct for the car.

Now I need to get a hold of Kent and see if he can re-adjust the eyebrows, etc. so the shut lines are prefect. Kent had to mess with the eyebrows and headlight doors when the other set of LED headlights were in the car as the stuck out about 3/8" beyond the bezel.

Oh, you can make fun of my driving lights. Mine are at Jerry's (Spokes) getting his new circular LEDs installed. I can't wait to get them back. I covered the buckets with tin foil 'cause I am weird like that.

Anyway here are some pictures:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post May 16 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,907
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice!

I've been looking for a good 5.75 option for the other hobby-car.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 16 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 16 2021, 02:57 PM) *

OK, so I tacked this today after reviewing @gereed75 pictures and posting. Very simple after that. Love that these lights look perfectly correct for the car.

Now I need to get a hold of Kent and see if he can re-adjust the eyebrows, etc. so the shut lines are prefect. Kent had to mess with the eyebrows and headlight doors when the other set of LED headlights were in the car as the stuck out about 3/8" beyond the bezel.

Oh, you can make fun of my driving lights. Mine are at Jerry's (Spokes) getting his new circular LEDs installed. I can't wait to get them back. I covered the buckets with tin foil 'cause I am weird like that.

Anyway here are some pictures:

Fit looks good, and your car's overall fit and finish continue to slay me. And you say you want to make it better? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Very curious to hear your feedback on performance!
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post May 16 2021, 07:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 13 2021, 11:44 AM) *

Eventually, I found these

For $29, curiosity got the better of me and they were delivered before the replacement 7-inch H4 units were. They sure looked like the same bulbs to me, so I returned the 7-inch units. I have yet to try the bulbs, as there's a lot of conflicting info out there re: LED bulbs in H4 housings. Also need to find some garage time, which is rarer than I'd like!

Looking forward to reading your review. That is definitely a sweet deal when you already have the H4 globe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 16 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Michael

@horizontally-opposed Thanks for the compliments. I may get up early and take it for a spin in the dark to see how the lights perform. I will let you know.

To get the GE Nighthawks to fit the eyebrows had to be adjusted as did the headlight doors. Now with the H4 Hella lights fitting as they should, I need to get Kent to adjust the eye brows, etc so the headlight assemblies match the shut lines of everything else. I do love the car and it is running great. The more I drive it the more I realize what an absolutely stunning job Kent, Jim, Andy and Bob did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post May 17 2021, 06:42 AM
Post #11

Looking good mike. Glad to hear that the location of the circuit box worked out for you also. Sorta confirms that it is a good place.

I did have to make the wire grounding mod to the light relay to restore normal function to my fog lights. No big deal, just find the thread and do it.

Glad to have contributed to your stunning car in a very small way.

You will love the performance of these lights and retention of the classic H4 look.

Drive safe
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 17 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Michael

@horizontally-opposed So I got a chance to drive with these at 0500 today. They throw some great light. I would say they are at least as bright as the GE Nighthawks and may even be brighter. I did note they were a bit high so I will adjust them down. I do not want to offend on-coming drivers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

@gereed75 Thanks so much for the help with this project. These lights look perfect in the car. I had them in my last 6, 30 years ago, but that was when you still had to run the 80/100 bulbs and a relay. Even then, they did not light like these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 17 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 17 2021, 04:52 PM) *

@horizontally-opposed So I got a chance to drive with these at 0500 today. They throw some great light. I would say they are at least as bright as the GE Nighthawks and may even be brighter. I did note they were a bit high so I will adjust them down. I do not want to offend on-coming drivers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

@gereed75 Thanks so much for the help with this project. These lights look perfect in the car. I had them in my last 6, 30 years ago, but that was when you still had to run the 80/100 bulbs and a relay. Even then, they did not light like these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Fantastic news, better than 80/100s without the draw? May need to get these in sooner than later!

I guess that really only leaves the question about how they affect oncoming drivers. Not sure how to test that, other than to see how many people start flashing you?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 17 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Michael

The jury may be out for quite some time on that issue as I rarely drive the car at night. I am going to try to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) get down to LA soon, so that would be the first real test.
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 17 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for sharing this info.

I'm curious ... if I already have H4 globes ... could I simply drop in these bulbs from the same company?

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 18 2021, 06:56 AM
Post #16

Michael

@DC_nuen_vierzehn I am not sure but the H4 headlights look to be no different than any other H4 I have seen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 18 2021, 09:51 AM
Post #17

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 17 2021, 11:25 PM) *

I'm curious ... if I already have H4 globes ... could I simply drop in these bulbs from the same company?

I've got the same question...914 currently has a pair of SEV Marchal flat-faced H4s and would love to keep them.

Attached Image

But first I need to do Spoke's LED rear signal lights!
+Quote Post
gereed75
post May 18 2021, 10:29 AM
Post #18

I suspect they drop in to “standard” H4’s. Do not think Vintagecarleds has special H4’s made just for them, but...

Just ask them, they are domestic and responsive

Not sure about the oncoming driver issue, I can only tell you that the low beam cutoff is very distinct and when projected on a wall is very low and very distinct.
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jun 1 2021, 10:11 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(gereed75 @ May 18 2021, 10:29 AM) *

I suspect they drop in to “standard” H4’s. Do not think Vintagecarleds has special H4’s made just for them, but...

Just ask them, they are domestic and responsive

Not sure about the oncoming driver issue, I can only tell you that the low beam cutoff is very distinct and when projected on a wall is very low and very distinct.

I shot them a message. Will share their response.
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jun 2 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 17 2021, 09:25 PM) *

I heard back from them ... they are a direct fit for Hella H4 globes. I placed an order. Will share the results after I install them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:18 PM