Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What class to run competitively?
HAM Inc
post Jan 28 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jan 24 2019, 04:22 PM) *

...It could comfortably make 200 hp.....really ! define comfortable...not a type 4 turning 8500 thats for sure

Jake and I have collaborated on race T4's that exceeded 100hp/liter, including an EP 2.0/4 that reliably made north of 200hp and FP 1.8's that exceeded 180.

These engines would wind to over 8K, but made peak power around 7300.

Certainly not for the faint of wallet, but Prod racing a 914 competitively never will be.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Jan 28 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,395

Yes , I will admit that comfort is relative term..some engines cost 25.00 an hour ...even back in the day the Kirby car cost 2000.00 an hour ( I think it was Kirby , anyway the black and gold car that was competitive 20 years ago )...maybe with the talent you guys have engines last a longer run time now , but I haven't noticed it at the runoffs .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Jan 29 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,499

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Jan 28 2019, 07:11 PM) *

Yes , I will admit that comfort is relative term..some engines cost 25.00 an hour ...even back in the day the Kirby car cost 2000.00 an hour ( I think it was Kirby , anyway the black and gold car that was competitive 20 years ago )...maybe with the talent you guys have engines last a longer run time now , but I haven't noticed it at the runoffs .

In the past when I tried to equate what I spent racing into a dollars/hour rate it always depressed me.

The cost of Prod racing anything at the pointy end of a Runoffs level field is eye popping enough when it's a Miata or a Honda or something modern and level 2 prep, but doing it with a 914 will take away a working-stiff's breath. Kirby was a billionaire who could drive. Lot more talented drivers than billionaires out there so more affordable options beckon.

A serious, well funded 914 effort with a good driver could be competitive, if not dominant. But it will be expensive by the typical amateur racer's budget, and if successful bet on a rules change to favor the modern, more affordable marques SCCA seems to favor over Porsche.
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Jan 30 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,395

....Well said...
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 1 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #25

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jan 29 2019, 06:26 PM) *

In the past when I tried to equate what I spent racing into a dollars/hour rate it always depressed me.

I use dollars/minute these days cuz the numbers don't seem as scary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 1 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #26

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Seriously though for the OP - I can tell you that, sadly, after driving with POC for around 20 years there are basically no (other) 914s left. There would be a class into which any level of stock or modded 914 would fit, technically, but really they've not been competitive in POC either in recent decades if ever. At my last event in Nov there was (1) other 914, a beautiful -6 with mechanical issues so not on track.

Here is the POC GCR sheet for calculating GT classes (power/weight) which is where anything with significant mods lands these days. http://www.porscheclub.com/wp-content/uplo...-Appendix-D.pdf Of course GT1-GT4 are the "big dog" classes, extremely competitive experienced racers with some $$$ budgets...

Unfortunately about the same with VARA in SoCal as well -- last event, zero 914s. However, this field is where a 914 could be fun and competitive, if anywhere...Datsun 510s, MGs and so forth. Except they run mainly the big/fast tracks which again, not much fun in a 914...
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 1 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #27

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 1 2019, 07:43 AM) *

Seriously though for the OP - I can tell you that, sadly, after driving with POC for around 20 years there are basically no (other) 914s left. There would be a class into which any level of stock or modded 914 would fit, technically, but really they've not been competitive in POC either in recent decades if ever. At my last event in Nov there was (1) other 914, a beautiful -6 with mechanical issues so not on track.

Here is the POC GCR sheet for calculating GT classes (power/weight) which is where anything with significant mods lands these days. http://www.porscheclub.com/wp-content/uplo...-Appendix-D.pdf Of course GT1-GT4 are the "big dog" classes, extremely competitive experienced racers with some $$$ budgets...

Unfortunately about the same with VARA in SoCal as well -- last event, zero 914s. However, this field is where a 914 could be fun and competitive, if anywhere...Datsun 510s, MGs and so forth. Except they run mainly the big/fast tracks which again, not much fun in a 914...

Chris,
that used to be my experience in PCA club racing too. 914's disappeared and technology moved on into water cooled cars. I have a hard time believing that I would be satisfied moving back to PCA in their new "vintage" classes...

I believe they have 6 of these vintage races across the entire US per a season?
even If I'm wrong on that number... I know PCA only has 1 race a year in a region
so small fields with lots of travel... hmmmm

Vintage is the way to go
especially a good period correct vintage club like CVAR or RMVR, etc.

we have 7 914's currently in rmvr
they don't all show up at every event
but they run in a small bore run group with mostly british and Japanese cars
often 30 or more cars in the field and on the track at once!

Chris, you need to take your car vintage racing
you may need to dial back the prep a bit, but competition and multiple cars to play with can be just as fun as giant horsepower and displacement.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Feb 26 2019, 09:14 AM
Post #28

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

Lots of great input here guys. Thank you. Currently targeting VARA FP class, 2.0 liter. Just picked up another car and starting the build.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 05:32 PM