Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Power Antenna next to Engine Lid ?
Literati914
post Nov 21 2018, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think I've seen at some point in the past, a power antenna installed thru the non-mesh area on one side of the engine compartment lid. I can not say if it was on the driver's side or passenger's side... maybe I've seen both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ? Maybe I just like the idea and am making myself believe I've seen it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Anyway, I'd like to persue it. I'm thinking too that these were diagonally deployed units, which would be preferable I would think, but I guess vertical would be an option if nothing else. Does anyone have pictures of this type of installation they could post? Herschmann (sp?) would be nice but probably not necessary and if I was getting real picky, I'd want it in black. Anyone have experience or a source, thoughts? thx.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 21 2018, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 21 2018, 01:35 AM) *

I think I've seen at some point in the past, a power antenna installed thru the non-mesh area on one side of the engine compartment lid. I can not say if it was on the driver's side or passenger's side... maybe I've seen both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ? Maybe I just like the idea and am making myself believe I've seen it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Anyway, I'd like to persue it. I'm thinking too that these were diagonally deployed units, which would be preferable I would think, but I guess vertical would be an option if nothing else. Does anyone have pictures of this type of installation they could post? Herschmann (sp?) would be nice but probably not necessary and if I was getting real picky, I'd want it in black. Anyone have experience or a source, thoughts? thx.

All power antennas have rather large and deep mechanisms below the mounting
surface.
There isn't enough room on either side in our cars.
Have you seen the thread 'the ultimate 914 stereo' ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 21 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have seen it as well, there's a thread somewhere.
IIRC it was a certain make a bit shorter than most (off a BMW 320?) and it was mounted on a slight angle on the left side.
It was a long time ago, I don't have time to search, the 914 may not have had a relay board.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 21 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #4

OK, here's one I found that fits my description... it only needs 8.5" of under surface clearance and comes with multiple angle seats, 5' of cable AND also comes in BLACK too. The only draw back (for some) is that it's only 18" tall at full extension. Damn, this would even be cool as a stock replacement on the front. But I'm still considering the area behind the driver and would love to see pics. I'll research World (some more). :

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products...iant=7980264259

+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 21 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Just run it up into the grill, and have the top be in the grill be the stop. Easily returned back to original if you get tired of the mod.

You used to take a shock, cut it down, remove the shackle, and French it into the fender, or where ever you wanted it. Took the top piece of sheet metal, and made a top cap so it would flush out when down at the show. We are talking 70s customization here, started back in the 50s.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 21 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 21 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Just run it up into the grill, and have the top be in the grill be the stop. Easily returned back to original if you get tired of the mod.

Yea, if nothing else, not ideal maybe but probably would look just fine too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:30 PM