Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wurth Seam Sealer Spray Gun - Help needed, Need info on missing parts
Superhawk996
post Feb 2 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Well Evil bay finally bit me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I've had a pretty good run.

Purchased a used Wurth Seam Sealer Spray Gun advertised in good working condition. Received -- not so much! I should have spotted the missing air valve push rod in the ad photos but apparently I didn't look close enough due to the good working order statement. Shame on me.

I can return it since seller has a return policy but I need one and this one really should be fixable in my opinion. The air valve trigger is missing some parts inclusive of the push rod.

I've visited the Wurth web site . . . no info. There are a few replacement parts shown like O-rings and nozzles. No info on a complete gun rebuild kit which surprises me on a tool that retails for $350.00. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Every other high quality spray gun I have I can buy rebuilds for the seals, needles, etc. No exploded view of parts. I'll call Wurth on Monday . . . not expecting much there as customer service seems to be a lost art these days. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wondering if anyone else has one of these Wurth Sealer guns and what you've done for replacement parts.

Would also be completely awesome if someone has a gun that you might care to disassemble the air trigger valve. I know I can easily make the pushrod but I'm not sure what else goes in front of the plastic part with the spring.

Gun leaks air with only the spring and plastic valve looking part installed making me think I'm missing more than just the pushrod.

May very well send back for refund but would rather fix it if possible.

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 2 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I can give you the name and number of our Wurth rep if customer service gives you the cold shoulder. We buy thousands of dollars of product from them all the time so he's pretty responsive when called. PM me if you need it. Mark
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 3 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2019, 06:26 PM) *

I can give you the name and number of our Wurth rep if customer service gives you the cold shoulder. We buy thousands of dollars of product from them all the time so he's pretty responsive when called. PM me if you need it. Mark

Thank you so much for the kind offer. Let's see what Wurth has to offer on Monday.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Feb 3 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you have no luck with Wurth tomorrow I have one of these guns that I may be able to check the parts for you. But I won’t be back home until this Tuesday.
Guy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 3 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Remember you can rent these guns at any local paint store that sells wurth products. Same with SEM brand.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 4 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

No luck with Wurth Corporate. They were very nice but, no replacement parts for the air trigger and no gun rebuild of any sort other than the parts listed in the catalog. The guy on the phone also looked into some sort of gun rebuild program that they might have then but said it is only for the DBS tools upon further checking.

Thanks for all the help guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The eBay seller is offering to cancel the sale so I think I'm going to probably go the route of a new gun.

I like the rental option but I don't think my schedule will work around paint shops. I'll check into it a bit to see what is possible. In my area paint shops keep bankers hours. Typically they are only open when I"m at work and it will probably kill me trying to work around the logistics of pick up gun, do work on car that I need to do and then return the gun. I'm a cheap SOB but all that coordination and running back and forth will drive me crazy - have to put a price on my time.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 4 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 4 2019, 05:06 PM) *

No luck with Wurth Corporate. They were very nice but, no replacement parts for the air trigger and no gun rebuild of any sort other than the parts listed in the catalog. The guy on the phone also looked into some sort of gun rebuild program that they might have then but said it is only for the DBS tools upon further checking.

Thanks for all the help guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The eBay seller is offering to cancel the sale so I think I'm going to probably go the route of a new gun.

I like the rental option but I don't think my schedule will work around paint shops. I'll check into it a bit to see what is possible. In my area paint shops keep bankers hours. Typically they are only open when I"m at work and it will probably kill me trying to work around the logistics of pick up gun, do work on car that I need to do and then return the gun. I'm a cheap SOB but all that coordination and running back and forth will drive me crazy - have to put a price on my time.

The rental is from paint supply houses not from a paint shop if that helps.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 4 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 4 2019, 08:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) buy it new, keep it in good shape and sell it when you are done. You will get at least half your money back and it will be on your own time.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Feb 5 2019, 08:57 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,712

Just make the rod. Its 3.5mm x 52mm

There is nothing but the pushrod between the trigger and white plastic piston. Looks like that's all you are missing. The gun housing has some packing where the pushrod goes through and that's it.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 6 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 5 2019, 09:57 AM) *

There is nothing but the pushrod between the trigger and white plastic piston. Looks like that's all you are missing. The gun housing has some packing where the pushrod goes through and that's it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Off to the lathe to try this out.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Feb 6 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 6 2019, 04:02 PM) *

Both ends are slightly rounded.

Funny I just checked some old spray guns and the needles are 3.5mm thick.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 6 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 6 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Air valve works great!

Thank you for the measurements. Apparently all it needed was for the push rod to hold the plastic centered to the port.

Now I just need to order the spray nozzle (only came with the bead tip nozzle) and some product and give it a try.

Can't express my gratitude enough! The community on this forum is so inspirational and helpful. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Feb 6 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 6 2019, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 6 2019, 07:52 PM) *

Success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Air valve works great!

Thank you for the measurements. Apparently all it needed was for the push rod to hold the plastic centered to the port.

Now I just need to order the spray nozzle (only came with the bead tip nozzle) and some product and give it a try.

Can't express my gratitude enough! The community on this forum is so inspirational and helpful. Thanks!

You can spray with the black nozzle (no exterior threads) you have in your photo.
The bead nozzle is threaded on the outside. Get a pressure adjustable regulator with a gauge and install between the gun housing and your hose fitting. The extra adjustment in air control is nice to have. You are spraying peanut butter not thinned paint.

Don't be surprised if you consume a cartridge wurth of material test spraying the first time, maybe two. Start slow. Do a dry run with no cartridge in the body to get familiar with the operation.

The side wheel is material metering. Close it all the way for now.

The second knob up on the back is your air control for the needle. Its works the same as a fan/ pattern control on a spray gun. Close it clockwise all the way. Then open it back up 5 full turns.

40-50 pounds of air is good to start with on a regulator gauge to begin some test sprays. Turn the pressure down on the gun to the point where air just starts flowing out of the nozzle when trigger squeezed.

With the nozzle pointed at some paper , cardboard or best friend (8-10 inches away) open the side wheel about 1/2 turn. Squeeze the trigger.

Adjust your air pressure up slowly with the trigger squeezed. Material will begin to spit out slowly.

For spraying:

Make your fine tuning adjustments next.

More air for drier thinner smoother coating.

More material for thicker (side wheel adjust) .

More air and material for thicker wetter coating.

You went too far if it looks like knockdown wall texture or runs/sags.

Motor City? Cold out?
Keep the sealer cartridges in the house. They do not like cold and don't like spraying cold. The gun's vent lines bleed air into the cartridge housing which pushes material into the head. Its equivalent to sucking peanut butter through a straw. Good practice is to fill up a bucket of very warm water (not boiling) and let the unopened sealer tube marinate for an hour prior to spraying.

Remember to close the side wheel when you are done spraying and still have material left in the cartridge.

Have fun! Make a mess.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 7 2019, 06:30 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Stupid cold lately here in mid-west. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

As in, -5F without wind chill about a week ago. I spent last weekend insulating my garage doors in order to keep heat in the garage. It was taking about 5-6 hours just to get it up to temp! It's February and we still have a couple more months of cold so you just deal with it.

I envy you guys in CA that have nice weather and reasonably rust free 914's in circulation!

Can't see it in the photo, but my black tip actually has the external threads for nozzles so I will order the spray tip before even attempting a test spray.

Thank you for all the tips on how to use the gun properly, that will dramatically shorten the learning curve. Been spraying color for years but I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination. Seam sealer will be a new experience. Especially appreciate the tips on warming the seam sealer.

Thanks Jeff !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 7 2019, 09:18 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 7 2019, 05:30 AM) *

I envy you guys in CA that have nice weather and reasonably rust free 914's in circulation!

I don't. -9F here right now and has been in that range for the last week. Typical February here in the Northern Rockies. Plenty of snow to be able to ski out the front door. Makes you feel alive. CA can keep their boring year-round sunshine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Feb 7 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #16

It was 28 last night. 32 now with sunshine. I guess that's kinda warm for you guys?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 22 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Many thanks to Jeff Hail for providing the dimension of the air valve push rod. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ordered the appropriate spray nozzle, fresh o-rings, and turned up a push rod for the air valve. Gun is now in working order.

Received some seal sealer and we are off to the races. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19-0OH0nibc

I know that material can be kept in the gun for an extended duration with all the needles and air valve kept closed but exactly how long?

Seems to me that should the product begin to cure in the gun, it will be a nightmare to get cleaned out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th September 2024 - 08:35 AM