Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Main Targa Seal Install, A/K/A Defeated by rubber
horizontally-opposed
post May 20 2020, 02:33 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

I remember the first time I worked on it, I had all the same frustration with it and thought it wasn't possible.

Now, for whatever reason, I can get the seal in and out easy peasey.

Problem I've got is the factory seal I bought 10~ years ago doesn't let the doors close (no matter what I've tried, with larger adjustment holes in the doors, loose trim holders, and more) and is now separating between two "sections" at the top of the A-pillar on the right side. Increasingly tempted to try the 914Rubber seal, which I hear has a better durometer than the seals offered by Porsche.

In any event, I think you gain muscle memory with these...it's the gain that's painful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 20 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #22

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Watch the video.
The real key is that you DO NOT pull the sides through the channel. I can install one in a little less than an hour, only because I'm OCD with cutting the bottom to fit perfectly. In all fairness it gets much easier after you have done it a few times. The breakaway knife and soapy water to cut the bottom where it touches the triangle window seal make it easy. I cut it a little longer than I think I need it an shave it until I get a perfect fit.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 21 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #23

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 20 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Watch the video.
The real key is that you DO NOT pull the sides through the channel. I can install one in a little less than an hour, only because I'm OCD with cutting the bottom to fit perfectly. In all fairness it gets much easier after you have done it a few times. The breakaway knife and soapy water to cut the bottom where it touches the triangle window seal make it easy. I cut it a little longer than I think I need it an shave it until I get a perfect fit.

Instructions were great! Took me about 1.5 hours to complete. Thank you all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 21 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #24

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Congrats!
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post May 21 2020, 01:25 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 14,400
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 21 2020, 11:06 AM) *

Watch the video.

Instructions were great! Took me about 1.5 hours to complete. Thank you all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

That looks great, nice job, I'll be tackling this soon. Great pictures of complete job.
+Quote Post
pete000
post May 21 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I was able to do mine with out too much drama. Not easy but its in and working great...
+Quote Post
chandler1969
post Sep 28 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,352

Replacing mine after ignoring for 10 years. I never drove it when it rained, only on nice days. Anyways, you can see the tab is gone (both sides). What impact will that have when installing the new seal? Also, I do not have the screw. What size should I get to replace?

I'm guessing it is easier to replace the main targa seal first then the lower seal, yes?

Thanks!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914e
post Sep 28 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 23,951

Watch the video.

So what you are saying is I need more 914s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 28 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #29

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

The original part has a slot in the top corners for the tabs at the top of the aluminum channel. Most all of the reproduction and so called OEM parts I've seen do not have this slot. Being able to slide that tab in the corner blocks allows to adjust that part of the seal a little by bending the aluminum tab.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 28 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #30

The rubber man

Even f you are missing the tab, you can make adjustments by anchoring the corners with the screw that holds it and starting the section on the track side and pulling to set the angle where it's correct before doing the entire track.
Mark
+Quote Post
chandler1969
post Sep 28 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 28 2020, 12:10 PM) *

Even f you are missing the tab, you can make adjustments by anchoring the corners with the screw that holds it and starting the section on the track side and pulling to set the angle where it's correct before doing the entire track.
Mark

Thanks! I was thinking the same but knowing I have never done this, thought I would ask.
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Sep 28 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(chandler1969 @ Sep 28 2020, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 28 2020, 12:10 PM) *

Mark

Thanks! I was thinking the same but knowing I have never done this, thought I would ask.

I would highly recommend a water based lubricant and avoid silicone grease. There is no solvent for silicone grease and it can cause problems in later paint processes. Many paint and injection molding operators prohibit it in the building.
+Quote Post
chandler1969
post Sep 29 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #33

Got the top seal in. I think it turned out nice. Still need to find the right sized screws for the ends.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks for all of the tips!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 29 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #34

The rubber man

I’ll source those this week and drop you some if you PM me your address.
I’m thinking I should just include with the seal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 21 2021, 08:11 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Pulled the Porsche Classic seal yesterday, which was in worse condition than it looked to be after 10~ years of very light service, prepped/cleaned the guide trims, and am about to run this gauntlet.

Appreciate all of the inputs here, and it's hard to overstate how much this forum promotes and aids 914 ownership, @SirAndy . So, thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Oct 7 2021, 08:15 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 20,535

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 28 2020, 03:10 PM) *

Mark

Did the @mikey914 method this evening and it was not that bad once you develop a rhythm. Tabs were missing on mine. Went for it anyways. 2 hrs and done. Was fortunate my windshield is out as a quick clamp came in handy to pull the rubber tight into the small radius section at the top which was the tough part. Tool of choice was an old painters scraper dulled down on the edge. Used the square pointed corner to push and feed the rubber into the outer channel edge small bites at a time. Glycerin for the lube. Thank you all for the posts on this thread.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 7 2021, 10:59 PM
Post #37

The rubber man

It's not really a difficult seal to install, it just takes more time than you think it should and lots of patience. It is not fun, but you do get a sense of accomplishment when you are done. 2-3 hours is a normal range, you are on the low side ...good job!
+Quote Post
second wind
post Oct 7 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

[quote name='Chi-town' date='Mar 28 2019, 07:40 PM' post='2700785']
Most silicone paste have petroleum additives which will cause rubber to swell. Try 3M Dry Silicone spray and don't be bashful with it
[/quo
Hello Chi-town....have been thinking of you and worrying about you....you just disappeared for a long time and so glad you are back...hope to catch up soon....looking for a subi for my son...look forward to catching up..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
gg
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 04:28 AM