Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ninefourtronics Fuel Injection tester, Made by James Thoruson, anyone have one?
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 11 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Years ago I got a Ninefourtronics Fuel Injection tester, which was made by James Thoruson (I hope I spelled that right).

It's a great D-jet tester and has saved me time, trouble, and vocabulary issues.

I got serial number 1, and I love it. I've always wondered how many of these jewels he made. Anyone else have one? Anyone know what became of James? IIRC making these was a father/daughter project.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 11 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I think he sold very few if any of them.

I visited James and his family once on a drive down to LA. He was out in Lancaster. His 914 had a mushroomed lifter so he didn't drive it much; I think I corresponded with someone years later who had a white 914 with a stuck lifter. I figured they had bought it from him.

I tried emailing him a decade-plus ago, but someone else had the address he used to have.

--DD
+Quote Post
Firstcar
post Jun 11 2019, 10:52 PM
Post #3

Obsessive amateur mechanic

Member No.: 12,831
Region Association: North East States

I’ve got #3 originally sold in 2008. Got it second or third hand from someone here on World. Nicely made and very useful for sorting and testing.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jun 12 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 11 2019, 10:39 PM) *

I think he sold very few if any of them.

I visited James and his family once on a drive down to LA. He was out in Lancaster. His 914 had a mushroomed lifter so he didn't drive it much; I think I corresponded with someone years later who had a white 914 with a stuck lifter. I figured they had bought it from him.

I tried emailing him a decade-plus ago, but someone else had the address he used to have.

--DD

I've still got his old car.....just put a new 2056 engine in it and am in process of installing an SDS setup. I would've liked to have one of his D Jet testers when I first got the car, it would've saved me a lot of D Jet headaches!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 12 2019, 07:08 AM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I would be interested in the tester if one became available.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 12 2019, 07:21 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 05:08 AM) *

I would be interested in the tester if one became available.

You'll have to talk to Sindy after I've departed this world, because that's when I'll let mine go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 12 2019, 07:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

This guy?

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/Teste...ronics_Test_Set

Pretty cool setup. How much did they cost?
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 12 2019, 08:12 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 12 2019, 05:35 AM) *

This guy?

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/Teste...ronics_Test_Set

Pretty cool setup. How much did they cost?

That's it! I don't remember seeing that page. I just sent him an email asking if he's got any interest in making more.

IIRC, I think I paid $450 about 18 years ago, but don't take that to the bank.

It's very nice. You basically run the tester inline before the FI brain. and he came up with a very comprehensive check list to go over.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 12 2019, 08:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,103

I bought this Bosch D-Jet tester a long time ago from a friend who's family owned a Saab dealership that was going out of business. They also owned a Pontiac dealership. How's that for picking winners! Anyway, I bought the test unit hoping I would never have to use it. And, so far that's the case. Has anyone on world used one? If so how good did it work? Not trying to hijack this thread but wondering if this tester is comparable and as comprehensive as the aforementioned Ninefourtronics unit??

Attached Image

Dave
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 12 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

That's an OK tester Dave - not the best, not the worst. There are several testers that were available back then, some with less, some with more capabilities than others. Many are basically just an ohmmeter providing multiple function tests as a convenience. A great thing about D-Jet is that most components and the system can be simply tested with a common ohmmeter, and fuel pressure gauge, which makes most of these testers non-essential.

The more capable testers can replicate the function of the ECU, function blocks within the ECU, and the MPS and other sensors for more comprehensive and specific diagnosis.

I am in the market for that tester if you have an interest in letting it go.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 12 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 07:40 AM) *

That's an OK tester Dave - not the best, not the worst. There are several testers that were available back then, some with less, some with more capabilities than others. Many are basically just an ohmmeter providing multiple function tests as a convenience. A great thing about D-Jet is that most components and the system can be simply tested with a common ohmmeter, and fuel pressure gauge, which makes most of these testers non-essential.

The more capable testers can replicate the function of the ECU, function blocks within the ECU, and the MPS and other sensors for more comprehensive and specific diagnosis.

I am in the market for that tester if you have an interest in letting it go.

Thanks for the info. I figured this would be THE tester to use since D-Jet is a Bosch product. As far a selling, with my luck, as soon as I did my FI would have a problem. This is essentially my FI "insurance policy".

Dave
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 12 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

almost 10yrs to the day
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96981
I just sold my 914, so I no longer need to hang onto the prototype NineFourTronics D-Jet Test Set. Therefore, since I have quit making the things long since, I now wish to sell all of the acouterments of the operation.

These include:

NineFourTronics D-Jet Test Set prototype. Not as pretty as the production models, but fully functional.

Bench-top 914 FI simulator. This is an electronic simulator for a real 914 2.0 litre FI system, and includes all of the parts found on the actual car except the injectors, the distributor, and the fuel pump, which are simulated. There is a switch panel which can be used to introduce "faults" into the FI system so that the ease of finding the faults with the Test set can be demonstrated. For use at 914 swap meets, tech events, and the like as a sales and training tool.

Complete tech writing base for the NineFourTronics D-Jet Test Set manual. This includes the copyright to the manual and advertising. The manual is quite extensive and represents many hundreds of hours of writing and research. The copyright is non-exclusive; I reserve the right to quote my own writing, but all sales rights go to the buyer of NineFourTronics.

Schematics and engineering notes.

Assembly jigs and fixtures:
Front panel drilling jig.
Electronic cable lead identification jig.
Pot shaft length jig.
Assembly drawings including laminated blueprints.

Parts Inventory:
Switches.
Pots.
Tip jacks.
Custom PC boards:
Includes Gerber files for two different boards and copyright
VW FI computer cable connectors.
LED's
Resistors
Cable Clamps
Etc.

All warranties for the Test Sets in the customer base have expired, so there is no warranty or repair service liability.

I would like $1,000 for the whole enchilada, or best offer. I have requests from people who want just the test set, so unless someone wants to buy the whole package for more than I can sell the prototype for (around $300 I imagine) I will sell to them first.

Thanks,
Jim T.
entropycat@verizon.net
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 12 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Welll, that answers that question. I sent him an email asking if he ever thought about making them again. I'd bet there's probably a few guys who'd want one
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 12 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #14

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 12 2019, 10:16 AM) *

Thanks for the info. I figured this would be THE tester to use since D-Jet is a Bosch product. As far a selling, with my luck, as soon as I did my FI would have a problem. This is essentially my FI "insurance policy".

Dave

No worries Dave. I am very intrigued by that manual shown in your photo...what is it and is it possible to get a scanned .pdf of it? Not seen that before.
+Quote Post
nordfisch
post Jun 13 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 19,451

Hi Jeff,
the 'red' edition of this manual is the latest edition ever made by Bosch.
Beige and blue edition are the predecessors.
The manual contains a parts reference and a reference about the model-year-interchangeable parts, too.

I own this for all D-Jet-cars, but in German.
I know the manual for BMW was never translated and I am surprised to see the VW / Porsche English edition for the first time.

Hi Dave,
open the plug before you try to use the tester and fasten all screws in there. They have become loose over the years and mostly don't give electric contact.

You can pull the shell of the cable by just 'milking' it and can bring it into the housing again and fix it there again.

Those testers <working condition> are sold in Europe at about 500 - 1000 US$$ depending on the condition.
One guy tries to sell one at not far from 1500 US$$: Link to ebay auction

The testers were meant for use at normal workshops.
The set included a pressure gauge for measuring the fuel pressure, too.

Bosch made much more capable testers for internal use and repair centers:
https://oldtimer.tips/cache/multithumb_thumbs/3548503952.jpg

Regards
Norbert
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 13 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 12:59 PM) *

Dave

No worries Dave. I am very intrigued by that manual shown in your photo...what is it and is it possible to get a scanned .pdf of it? Not seen that before.

Sent PM

Dave
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 13 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(nordfisch @ Jun 13 2019, 12:13 PM) *

Hi Jeff,
the 'red' edition of this manual is the latest edition ever made by Bosch.
Beige and blue edition are the predecessors.
The manual contains a parts reference and a reference about the model-year-interchangeable parts, too.

I own this for all D-Jet-cars, but in German.
I know the manual for BMW was never translated and I am surprised to see the VW / Porsche English edition for the first time.

Hi Dave,
open the plug before you try to use the tester and fasten all screws in there. They have become loose over the years and mostly don't give electric contact.

You can pull the shell of the cable by just 'milking' it and can bring it into the housing again and fix it there again.

Those testers <working condition> are sold in Europe at about 500 - 1000 US$$ depending on the condition.
One guy tries to sell one at not far from 1500 US$$: Link to ebay auction

The testers were meant for use at normal workshops.
The set included a pressure gauge for measuring the fuel pressure, too.

Bosch made much more capable testers for internal use and repair centers:
https://oldtimer.tips/cache/multithumb_thumbs/3548503952.jpg

Regards
Norbert

Norbert,
Thanks for the information and plug maintenance tip.

Dave
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 14 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #18

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How topical as I was just reading up on this over my coffee this morn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 15 2019, 01:01 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 01:59 PM) *

Dave

I would really be interested in a copy of that manual, I have the same tester but not a manual.

Jim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:27 PM