Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> smokey car, On de-acceleration I get smoke from my tail pipe :(
mitchdiego1
post Jun 17 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,145
Region Association: Southern California

Hi all, I am new here. So wished I found this site years ago. Lots of good info!!!! Any way, I am getting a lot of smoke on de-acceleration after my 1976 2.0L has warmed up. I was thinking my oil rings were sticking. Also thinking maybe valve guides? The engine was rebuilt in 2000 and I really only drove it until 2005 as a daily driver. The transmission went bad and it wasn't really driven. House and 2 teenage daughters came first. I would putt around at least once a month. I could go on and on so longer story short I have been driving it since 2015 and it has been smoking like I said. A little on acceleration not bad though. Any info would help. Other than that it runs great and my 914 is going into the shop soon for new paint so I am going to pull the engine and transmission. (PS I originally posted this in the wrong forum. duh)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jun 17 2019, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Hi Mitch, I have a 76 2.0 also, and it also smoked a little on deceleration. And yes, the smoke is probably from worn rings or valve guides. Much has been said in this forum about motor oils for our cars, so I won't go over it again. Try using some Brad Penn 20/50 Racing oil, ordered online. When I switched to that oil, my engine's smoking stopped completely. The oil is not cheap, but compared to an engine rebuild, it's chump change.
This oil has higher levels of ZDPP to protect older engines. Also, use only a Royal Purple 20-253, Mahle OC-28, or Mann W920/17 oil filter, also ordered online. Change oil filter from below, on passenger side of engine block near firewall. PAN PLUG TORQUE IS ONLY 16 ft/lbs, and SUMP PLUG IS ONLY 9.4 ft/lbs. Any more torque will cause BIG damage to engine. Install a new crush washer (AutoAtlanta has them) on the pan plug, with the washer seam TOWARD the bolt head. NEVER let an oil change shop do the oil change, as they are clueless and will over torque the plug and damage the engine.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 17 2019, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Don't go more than 7 ft lbs on the drain plug bolt.
+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jun 17 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 17 2019, 10:54 AM) *

Hi Mitch, I have a 76 2.0 also, and it also smoked a little on deceleration. And yes, the smoke is probably from worn rings or valve guides. Much has been said in this forum about motor oils for our cars, so I won't go over it again. Try using some Brad Penn 20/50 Racing oil, ordered online. When I switched to that oil, my engine's smoking stopped completely. The oil is not cheap, but compared to an engine rebuild, it's chump change.
This oil has higher levels of ZDPP to protect older engines. Also, use only a Royal Purple 20-253, Mahle OC-28, or Mann W920/17 oil filter, also ordered online. Change oil filter from below, on passenger side of engine block near firewall. PAN PLUG TORQUE IS ONLY 16 ft/lbs, and SUMP PLUG IS ONLY 9.4 ft/lbs. Any more torque will cause BIG damage to engine. Install a new crush washer (AutoAtlanta has them) on the pan plug, with the washer seam TOWARD the bolt head. NEVER let an oil change shop do the oil change, as they are clueless and will over torque the plug and damage the engine.

Sweet thanks. Going online to get the correct oil and filter today!

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 17 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

This is a garage topic and admin will surely move it there where you'll get more exposure to people who can help.

Decel smoke points to valve seats to me, but the real Type4 experts will help.

My concern is this may lead to a dropped valve seat (or may be in progress). Not uncommon after so many years. If they let go completely, it gets catastrophic. Proceed with caution.
+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jun 17 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 17 2019, 01:03 PM) *

Don't go more than 7 ft lbs on the drain plug bolt.

Thanks for the info!
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 17 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

Although my 2.0 had great compression when I bought it, it also had a lot of oil burning on deceleration. Turned out to be valve guides. Car was also repainted once the drive train was pulled, so that's a good way to approach it.

Good luck with this project.

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 17 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Oil and filter won't fix this. Not sure why someone would suggest that as an answer. Those are band aids on something more important. Take it for what you will. If the OP is forthright, start doing compression and leakdown tests and report back.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Jun 17 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Valve guides and valve stem seals.

Charlie
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 17 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #10

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I've never seen valve stem seals on a type 4 motor ... (type 1 or type 2 either).

They're seen on type 616 (912) and 911 motors though.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jun 17 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jun 17 2019, 02:12 PM) *

Although my 2.0 had great compression when I bought it, it also had a lot of oil burning on deceleration. Turned out to be valve guides. Car was also repainted once the drive train was pulled, so that's a good way to approach it.

Good luck with this project.

Yep, this is what I was afraid of. No biggy, motor and trans are coming out for painting anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I will be changing to the new oil though. Compression testing this weekend. I will keep everyone posted
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jun 17 2019, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

Did you check if you have pressure in the crankcase? I cracked a piston (see picture) and it smoked up the track pretty good.
While the car is running remove the oil cap and see if you have white smoke coming from the filler tube. From my experience it means a cracked ring or piston. It may sound terrible but i'd rather deal with a bum piston over s dropped valve seat any day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Jun 17 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also had it when the crankcase was over filled once
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Jun 17 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,880

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jun 17 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Did you check if you have pressure in the crankcase? I cracked a piston (see picture) and it smoked up the track pretty good.
While the car is running remove the oil cap and see if you have white smoke coming from the filler tube. From my experience it means a cracked ring or piston. It may sound terrible but i'd rather deal with a bum piston over s dropped valve seat any day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

"Excuse you but if someone drops a valve seat I'm gonna gobble it right up thank you very much!" -Mr Piston.

https://i.imgur.com/9dZ58pb.jpg

"Absolutely delicious, won't you try some as well, Mister Cylinder Head?"

https://i.imgur.com/cpcilMi.jpg
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 17 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2019, 09:56 AM) *

I've never seen valve stem seals on a type 4 motor ... (type 1 or type 2 either).

They're seen on type 616 (912) and 911 motors though.

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) strange how some have mentioned that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ,change the oil by any means and go out and give it a good HARD run.
Get someone else drive it as you follow in another car if the smoke is bad under heavy throttle, then its rebuild time,smoke on overrun is far less of an issue than that under acceleration.

+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jun 18 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jun 17 2019, 05:03 PM) *

NO white smoke!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 18 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Smoke on overrun is a classic symptom of needing new valve guides.

No stem seals on these motors.

Rings will usually smoke under load, not on overrun.

--DD
+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jun 18 2019, 04:32 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 18 2019, 08:16 AM) *

--DD

Thanks Dave, I am hearing more and more that the valve guides are suspect. By the way just had my 914 smogged and passed with flying colors!! woohoo!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jun 18 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 18 2019, 07:16 AM) *

--DD

It did smoked bad under load. All crankcase smoke.
I didn't see the notice the tail pipe mention in the description.
I'm guessing valve guides.
+Quote Post
mitchdiego1
post Jul 6 2019, 03:21 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 17 2019, 10:54 AM) *

Changed to the pen racing oil and my car runs way cooler!! Thanks bro! Also way less smoking. I do need to do my valve guides but not this year. My car is going in for paint finally after 22 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:21 PM