Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - My Old '67 912, New Owner's Restoration
euro911
post Jun 17 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #1

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Not a 914, but still noteworthy in the realm of PORSCHE ownership and forward progress on restoring our 'P' cars ...

I sold my '67 912 as a roller back in 2016 when I closed up shop. A young lad (15 years old) named Jake was one of the first people to respond to my for sale ad, but just didn't have enough $ to purchase it.

I was inundated with over 100 replies from all over the globe, but I was hoping for a local buyer as I didn't have time to handle shipping arrangements, especially overseas, and wanted prospective buyers to actually inspect the car so there were no surprises down the road.

Long story short, Jake happened to live fairly close by, so he and his mom came to look at the car. I was amazed at how knowledgeable Jake was regarding early 911s and 912s. He asked if he could have his mechanic friend look at the car, especially the undercarriage. No problem since the car was already on jack stands and a creeper was conveniently sitting close by. Jake called his mechanic on his cell phone and I thought he was going to come look at it, but Jake proceeded to crawl under the car, and was directed to specific areas by his mechanic.

As was stated in the ad, the car needed the front suspension pan replaced as well as a portion of the passenger side steering tunnel. A portion of the passenger foot-well and floor also needed replaced as well as a small section of the passenger side cowl drain lip in the trunk area. Most of the damage was caused over a period of years suspected to be due to a clogged fresh-air vent's trough. The big parts to do the repairs were included in the sale. His mechanic was pleased with what he saw and informed Jake that it was a good deal for what I was asking for it.

A plus for Jake, although the car had been painted red by a previous owner, the original color was Bahama Yellow, which was his favorite color. It is also my favorite color and was one of the main reasons I purchased the car 20 years ago.

Attached Image

A week after his first visit, Jake and his dad came by and decided to purchase it ... his dad would cover what Jake didn't have saved up.

Jake has called me numerous over the the past few years updating me on his progress. He purchased a used stock type 616 motor, had the chassis repairs performed, as well as the body work, and had it repainted Bahama Yellow. He also had the car reupholstered. Unfortunately, the motor only lasted a couple of years, but he recently found another motor and is back in business.

He finally sent me some pictures a couple days ago, and I'm impressed and happy to finally see his accomplishments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Well done, Jake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:14 AM