Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AA vs RD, Preferred source for fixing the hell hole.
Wadesbrain
post Jul 6 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,073
Region Association: North East States

Before I spend a few thousand bucks, where is the preferred source for sheet metal? I'd like to know where and why you like your choice.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 6 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

RD makes stuff, AA resells stuff (for the most part).

I'd buy from the source.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 6 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Definitely restoration design.

I’ve used plenty of sheet metal from both and anything that restoration design makes is typically better quality, figment, less wrinkles, etc. Not a huge difference but still noticeable. Anytime I make a bulk sheet metal order I go with RD.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 6 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We buy thousands of dollars of metal from RD. Always a happy customer.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 6 2019, 02:35 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

we made all of the original tooling for the parts and paid heavily for it. The OLD restoration design STOLE our tooling (the old guy Bill was a convicted cocaine trafficker and child molester). Then he sold the company to Mike who IS a good guy. SO all of the parts that I solely designed and knew the exact and size they needed to be to repair the rust were now in the hands of the new firm and I could do nothing. SO I had to remake all of the tooling and restamp the parts. Some of them were even improved from then.
Thankfully Mike is in the business so has been able to economically make even more 914 sheetmetal and rust repair parts for the market. So although there is duplication, Mike and I try not to make anything the other is planning. Mike buys from us and we buy from him parts that each other makes and it is a good relationship. (for example Mike makes a left engine shelf that we buy (it never really rusted early on, so we never made it and had plenty of good used ones.). We made the GT flares, and Mike buys them from us. Works well

We have several new 914 sheet metal pieces in the works and so does Mike, but neither will duplicate what the other is making in this small market

QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Jul 6 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Before I spend a few thousand bucks, where is the preferred source for sheet metal? I'd like to know where and why you like your choice.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 6 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 6 2019, 04:35 PM) *

We have several new 914 sheet metal pieces in the works and so does Mike, but neither will duplicate what the other is making in this small market

Glad to hear of the cooperation and the synergy between each of you. I've bought from both and have been happy with each of you.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com
Question: I did buy a AA longitudinal (passenger side) that has two holes for seat belt attachment. I've never really figured out why there are two when the original only had one hole. Any insight for me on this? Not a big deal as I can weld up the hole I don't need but it is an unsolved mystery for me that I've never seen an answer to.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 6 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #7

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Won't directly apply to you, but being on the west coast buying RD parts from Pelican was significantly cheaper than directly.

But on the other hand, AA had the rear truck panel even cheaper inc shipping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Just saying it doesn't hurt to shop around if paying retail.
+Quote Post
Wadesbrain
post Jul 7 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I dont mean to ruffle feathers here. I am new to the whole restoration thing. I am learning as I go along here. I am getting guidance from a couple of Porsche guys who have been in the game a long time for the mechanical stuff. Im not afraid of making mistakes along the way if I can learn from them. It's only metal right?
Along those lines, Id like some guidance for the logical order of replacing the rusted out hell hole. Lets say worst case scenario and I have to do floors and rockers too. I'm going to start bracing and stripping it down to the tub. I wont start cutting until I have everything measured braced and have a plan of action. I know it is easy to cut too much at once so I want to attack it all methodically.
Thanks
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 7 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Read this thread. Jeff goes all in and gives an education along the way.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=76791&hl=
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 7 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2019, 08:23 PM) *

Read this thread. Jeff goes all in and gives an education along the way.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=76791&hl=

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There are several good build threads you can read and I encourage you to read as many as you can, but Jeff's thread is kind of a gold standard and the one to start with.
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jul 8 2019, 08:24 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

I vote RD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think our track record speaks for itself. We pride ourselves on great quality and superior customer service.

Pete

+Quote Post
Wadesbrain
post Jul 19 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #12

So I finally put the engine on a stand. 1.7l after closer examination, it turns out the PO cross threaded a spark plug. So now I'm going to start with new heads. Maybe a rebuild. I'm dealing with an unknown. Question. Where to get heads and where to avoid. Even if I decide to change the engine completely, I want to rebuild this one. Also maybe just a minor boost without going crazy. Suggestions?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Wadesbrain @ Jul 19 2019, 07:45 PM) *

So I finally put the engine on a stand. 1.7l after closer examination, it turns out the PO cross threaded a spark plug. So now I'm going to start with new heads. Maybe a rebuild. I'm dealing with an unknown. Question. Where to get heads and where to avoid. Even if I decide to change the engine completely, I want to rebuild this one. Also maybe just a minor boost without going crazy. Suggestions?

Don't just go out and buy heads without a complete plan for the engine. Spark plug threads can easily be fixed with an insert. If you don't want to do it, any machine shop can.
Good luck with the build.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jul 19 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,349

George at AA walked me through the hell hole and console repair process on my car when the local "experts" were telling me to scrap it. Car is still in the family and will be passed down.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 20 2019, 09:07 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

wow those fuchs look great with the blue paint, wow

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 19 2019, 09:49 PM) *

George at AA walked me through the hell hole and console repair process on my car when the local "experts" were telling me to scrap it. Car is still in the family and will be passed down.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 20 2019, 09:19 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 20 2019, 12:49 AM) *

George at AA walked me through the hell hole and console repair process on my car when the local "experts" were telling me to scrap it.

Back in early 90's I bought a console from AA. Body shop let me pull the engine in their parking lot so they could access the suspension console.

Constantly amazed by how lazy some of these so called body shops have become over the years. Just want to do simple body work and bolt on/bolt off work. As always, if the shop say's it can't be done . . . more likely it just mean they don't want to do the work.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 20 2019, 09:50 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 20 2019, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 20 2019, 12:49 AM) *

George at AA walked me through the hell hole and console repair process on my car when the local "experts" were telling me to scrap it.

Back in early 90's I bought a console from AA. Body shop let me pull the engine in their parking lot so they could access the suspension console.

Constantly amazed by how lazy some of these so called body shops have become over the years. Just want to do simple body work and bolt on/bolt off work. As always, if the shop say's it can't be done . . . more likely it just mean they don't want to do the work.

That's exactly how I wound up with my 73 2.0L. Hell hole had claimed the console and PO couldn't find a shop that would touch it. I bought the car for $500 and spent another $50 on a donor console from the local salvage yard. Borrowed my brother's gas welder and taught myself how to stick metal together. The repair looked terrible but worked. Thirty-five years later and it finally got the proper restoration it deserves.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:50 AM