Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Five project 914s, No Titles. Options?, Bill of sale, roller, title, bonded title.
CBee
post Jul 11 2019, 04:46 AM
Post #1

G Force Junkie

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,232
Region Association: South East States

I've been searching for a roller to do a E.G. 33 swap and have a line on 5 potential cars.

3 in GA , selling on Bill of sale only.
As I understand it, they can be sold on Bill of sale and can continue to be tagged there. I live in NC.

2 in NC , a disassembled project with a NC title, and a parts car that comes with it.
All are under a time crunch and need to move by August.

A bonded title may be an option, though I don't know much about how much $ is involved.
I'm also seeing the option of registering though VT and then turning in that document to NC DMV to generate a title.

I understand the VT DMV wants the tax value of the car based on NADA.
I see a $12k value of low retail, and a high retail of 29k!
All these cars are going to be rough, non running rollers at best, so that tax value doesn't seem really accurate to their condition.

Has anyone got any experience with generating a title ?

I kick myself remembering my very well modified '72 2.0 from 12 years ago.
Traded it to a friend when I stalled on a project and had no where to store it.
Smooth Move!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sithot
post Jul 11 2019, 05:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

North Carolina may well assign a "VIN" to a car as they have been known to do when there are any questions about it's originality.

"Title companies" are under legal pressure and more than a few have gone under.

Friends of mine have gotten motorcycle titles this way:
https://itstillruns.com/abandoned-title-car-va-7403749.html
Doesn't apply to your situation but it does work.

You've done some homework but for the sake of educating all of us:

https://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews...what-to-do-next
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 11 2019, 05:43 AM
Post #3

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

In NC getting a bonded title is quite easy. A couple years ago I bought a 914 in SC with a bill of sale only. Between the bond and title work it only cost me about 300 dollars. Make sure if you buy a car that all VIN numbers are intact and not tampered with . You will have the get the vehicle inspected by the DMV and it can throw up a red flag.

I originally looked at the VT registration too but decided going the bonded title route was much less hassle.

Looks like you're local too if you need any help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
sithot
post Jul 11 2019, 06:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jul 11 2019, 07:43 AM) *

In NC getting a bonded title is quite easy. A couple years ago I bought a 914 in SC with a bill of sale only. Between the bond and title work it only cost me about 300 dollars. Make sure if you buy a car that all VIN numbers are intact and not tampered with . You will have the get the vehicle inspected by the DMV and it can throw up a red flag.

I originally looked at the VT registration too but decided going the bonded title route was much less hassle.

Looks like you're local too if you need any help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Bonding:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Jul 11 2019, 08:10 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,876

Every state is different, unfortunately. Be sure you go by NC law.

At least here in Washington, a bonded title is also easy, BUT there is a 3 year waiting period before an actual title is issued. During that time, a former owner can show up with the REAL title and take the car. I personally would not start work on a bonded title car until I had the actual title in my name.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jul 11 2019, 08:20 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Which car is the cleanest? Invest your time and effort in that one.

Take the seller to the selling state DMV and apply for a new title or bonded title. Do this before you pay for the car.

If the sellers are not willing to do this, walk away and find another car.

Also don't waste your time on an antique EG33, at least get an EZ30D so you can still get parts from Subaru as they are discontinuing SVX parts by the day.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 11 2019, 10:03 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

bring them by as is we will purchase them

QUOTE(CBee @ Jul 11 2019, 03:46 AM) *

I've been searching for a roller to do a E.G. 33 swap and have a line in 5 potential cars.

3 in GA , selling on Bill of sale only.
As I understand it, they can be sold on Bill of sale and can continue to be tagged there. I live in NC.
2 in NC , a disassembled project with a NC title, and a parts car.
All are under a time crunch and need to move by August.

A bonded title may be an option, though I don't know much about how much $ is involved.
I'm also seeing the option of registering though VT and then turning in that document to NC DMV to generate a title.

I understand the VT DMV wants the tax value of the car based on NADA.
I see a $12k value of low retail, and all these cars are going to be tough job running rollers at best, so that tax value doesn't seem really accurate to their condition.

Has anyone got any experience with this?
I kick myself as I continue this search remembering my very well modified 72 2.0 I traded for a motorcycle to a friend after no place to store it 12 years ago.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Jul 11 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

I live in Vermont so maybe I can lend some insight. Yes, the DMV collects 6% tax on the NADA high book value at the time of registration. The way around it is to have a licensed VT dealership fill out a form attesting to the true value of the car based on condition and the estimated cost to bring it up to the blue book value. I think you can get the form on the VT state website. You would then pay tax on the true value of the car. It takes some legwork.

When I moved to Vermont 19 years ago, they tried to tax me on their value of my 356 and my 73 911 even though I had already paid tax on them to NewJersey when I purchased them many years before. Well, I simply didn’t register them in Vermont and kept the NJ registration. They tried to collect tax on my Beech Bonanza when I moved here and tried again when I sold it! I had paid tax on it to NJ when I purchased it. They are greedy bastards here in Vermont. I haven’t been afraid to tell them so but it hasn’t made a difference.

Charlie

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 11 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(CBee @ Jul 11 2019, 03:46 AM) *

2 in NC , a disassembled project with a NC title, and a parts car.

This is a no brainer for me. Since it's getting a swap anyways you can build it just as you want.
You can have the car half built in the time it takes to play the title game for the others.
+Quote Post
CBee
post Jul 12 2019, 06:42 AM
Post #10

G Force Junkie

Member No.: 22,232
Region Association: South East States

Thanks all, particularly Charlie, for the VT specific info.
Great to have a community of 914 fans to share information and strategy.

Since the GA cars and the NC cars will both require me renting a trailer and lining up a tow vehicle for a 6-8 hr drive round trip, I'm going to cool my jets for a few days and chew on this problem for a bit.

I'll post if I drag something worthwhile back home with me.

Clark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:57 AM