Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 newby buyer, Is 6000.00 a decent buy for 71 914
dabird
post Sep 6 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,025
Region Association: None

Deals are still out there, but it's becoming more difficult to find decent cars under 5k. It seems like the 2-5k cars of 5 years ago are now 5-10k
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 6 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #22

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 6 2019, 08:26 AM) *

... Any advice would be much appreciated.

I recommend asking someone here to do a PPI with/for you. Someone who knows where the rust and issues are will find hidden items.

Also post lots of picture here and see if you can look under the rocker panels.

Good luck with your 914 quest.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 6 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 23,429

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2019, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 6 2019, 05:56 PM) *

He fired it up and it seemed to run good other than a lifter tapping which he attributed to the car sitting for a while and having hydraulic lifters. The hell hole doesn't bother me very much because I have lots of experience dealing with repairing rust because of all the other cars I have owned and my personal shop has a car lift and would be very easy for me to remove the drive train to repair the hell hole correctly. I guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Hydraulic lifters are a giant red flag. OEM is solid lifter. Hydraulic is not the way to go for 914's. Make sure this isn't a bus motor via engine serial number. Even if it is a 914 case, someone has rebuilt it with hydraulic lifters and a hydraulic lifter cam. Not a good selling point. Only way to fix is to split case and rebuild the engine. EDIT: oops -- sorry I missed that you already know it is a bus engine. Even worse!

The rust should scare the crap out of you. I have lots of experience with metal fabrication. I built this tank from scratch.

Rust in the hell hole should not be underestimated. The rust on my car scares the crap out of me and like you, I know what I'm doing and have the tools to fix it. Fixing hell hole and longitudinal rust is not easy (or cheap).

The gentleman who is selling the car said that when he had the bus engine built he went with hydraulic lifters instead of flat tappet so the valves wouldn't need to be constantly adjusted . I don't know the first thing about a VW engine but I understand the basics. Also he said the car is stuck in first gear , he thinks something broke on the shifter linkage. I'm starting to think I might pass on this car unless I can get it cheaper but I hate low balling people. Super nice guy that owns it.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 6 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2019, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 6 2019, 05:56 PM) *

He fired it up and it seemed to run good other than a lifter tapping which he attributed to the car sitting for a while and having hydraulic lifters. The hell hole doesn't bother me very much because I have lots of experience dealing with repairing rust because of all the other cars I have owned and my personal shop has a car lift and would be very easy for me to remove the drive train to repair the hell hole correctly. I guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Hydraulic lifters are a giant red flag. OEM is solid lifter. Hydraulic is not the way to go for 914's. Make sure this isn't a bus motor via engine serial number. Even if it is a 914 case, someone has rebuilt it with hydraulic lifters and a hydraulic lifter cam. Not a good selling point. Only way to fix is to split case and rebuild the engine. EDIT: oops -- sorry I missed that you already know it is a bus engine. Even worse!

The rust should scare the crap out of you. I have lots of experience with metal fabrication. I built this tank from scratch.

Rust in the hell hole should not be underestimated. The rust on my car scares the crap out of me and like you, I know what I'm doing and have the tools to fix it. Fixing hell hole and longitudinal rust is not easy (or cheap).

I just saw the picture of the tank, wow that's amazing. Great work
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Sep 6 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,984

Buy the car you like it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) everything is fixable
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 6 2019, 09:44 PM
Post #26

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Hydraulic are easy but they do take away a few HP.

From the pics, it looks like a decent car. These cars rust from the inside out. Rust will kill the car. Just be mindful.

Give him $5k and you got a good deal. In some places that car is worth more or less. It's worth what the buyer will pay.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 6 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 6 2019, 09:44 PM) *

Hydraulic are easy but they do take away a few HP.

From the pics, it looks like a decent car. These cars rust from the inside out. Rust will kill the car. Just be mindful.

Give him $5k and you got a good deal. In some places that car is worth more or less. It's worth what the buyer will pay.

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate everyone's help and opinions
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 7 2019, 01:20 AM
Post #28

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

PPi is the way to go. Not a bad looking car. If the rust is minimal you should be on the right ball park.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 7 2019, 05:10 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

George has helped me over the years with some purchasing decisions. Thanks George!

Paul

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 6 2019, 11:29 AM) *

anytime anyone is thinking about purchasing a 914 they are welcome to send me a photo shoot for my review and comments, maybe before making a bad mistake, or coming across a real deal. Most prospective 914 buyers do not know what they are looking at and can really get burned, thinking that with the high prices 914s are commanding that they have come across a real bargain. Bottom line is that a 914 costs every bit as much as a 911 to restore
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 05:56 AM