Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3rd to 2nd = GRIND!, 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th AOK
ctc911ctc
post Oct 8 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hello Again All Teeners,

After 100 little projects I have the silver bullet (silver '74 2.0) back on the road, first time it has been registered since 1984.

Runs great, needs paint and perhaps a tranny freshening??????

I replaced all of the guide nylon bushings and re-centered the stick shift.

However, when down-shifting 3rd to 2nd is horrible, (GRIND!) better when I double shift.

First to second is ok, though at times if I am too aggressive it too will grind.

WHATS NEXT ON MY LIST????? remove the 1st and reverse section of the tranny? Complete rebuild?

Can hardly wait!

Many thanks for all of the great guidance over the years.

CTC911CTC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 8 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #2

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Easy stuff first- Make sure clutch the cable is adjusted to disengage clutch when the pedal is 1/3rd of the way depressed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 9 2019, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If you just push the lever forward going from 1st to 2nd the trans should jump into the neutral plane. This is where the dentension plate and springs in the shifter assem come in to play. Then you should be able to engage 2nd cleanly. If you want to bang gears buy a Mustang.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 9 2019, 08:36 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 8 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Easy stuff first- Make sure clutch the cable is adjusted to disengage clutch when the pedal is 1/3rd of the way depressed.

I agree, first make sure that the clutch pedal is at the complete top of its travel and that you only have 1/2 inch of play before it gets hard to push, and that there is no first reverse grind at a complete stop. If all of that is good, it is the transmission, second gear in a down shift grinding is usually the first to wear out. If you cannot stand it, new sliders, syncros and dog teeth will solve it. Any shop will charge ten labor units to go through it. Labor is not bad, parts are. Special tools are needed to press off the dog teeth and check the ring gear and pinion depth
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 9 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #5

I remember driving a new 914 in 73, the '73 tranny was very crisp and the linkage "jump" you mentioned was really apparent.

The 'jump' on the car we are working on is much less.

All of the bushings are lubed and slide easy, I have not touched the springs in the shift assembly. Might new springs help?

Thanks for the guidance!! - Mustang? Really? grin!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 9 2019, 08:52 AM) *

If you just push the lever forward going from 1st to 2nd the trans should jump into the neutral plane. This is where the dentension plate and springs in the shifter assem come in to play. Then you should be able to engage 2nd cleanly. If you want to bang gears buy a Mustang.

+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 9 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Thank you VERY much for the reply.

Not sure I am ready to attack a 901 tranny - I have the books and can buy the jigs, as to the parts, is there a standard -rebuild kit- that you would recommend rather than take it apart and order what is necessary??

THANK YOU!

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 9 2019, 09:36 AM) *

I agree, first make sure that the clutch pedal is at the complete top of its travel and that you only have 1/2 inch of play before it gets hard to push, and that there is no first reverse grind at a complete stop. If all of that is good, it is the transmission, second gear in a down shift grinding is usually the first to wear out. If you cannot stand it, new sliders, syncros and dog teeth will solve it. Any shop will charge ten labor units to go through it. Labor is not bad, parts are. Special tools are needed to press off the dog teeth and check the ring gear and pinion depth

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 9 2019, 10:01 AM
Post #7

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

2nd is the most shifted and always the first to wear out in any car.

Parts are replaced after inspection. You will soon find that just 1 Porsche bearing is the cost of any other brands whole bearing kit....

There are ways to cheat the wallet, like swapping the infrequently used 5th gear parts to 2nd.

The DrEvil trans rebuild DVD is a great way to see what you are getting into and procedures.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 9 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #8

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 9 2019, 07:43 AM) *

Thank you VERY much for the reply.

Not sure I am ready to attack a 901 tranny - I have the books and can buy the jigs, as to the parts, is there a standard -rebuild kit- that you would recommend rather than take it apart and order what is necessary??

THANK YOU!

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 9 2019, 09:36 AM) *

Search up Dr. Evil on the site. He's the resident transmission expert and sells a transmission rebuild DVD that walks you through the process. There isn't a rebuild kit that I'm aware of. You'll need to take it apart and figure out what needs to be replaced by inspecting what you have.

Ensure the cable is adjusted properly first. That'll take you 10 minutes tops.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 15 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

DVD is on its way. Thanks for the referral, fellas.

1st is by far the worst and most frequent to die. Dont down shift into first. 2nd is dead about 70% of the time.

10 labor units to go through it? I am under charging at 7 labor units to include setting and checking the ring and pinon depth, backlash, preload, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Oct 15 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

Downshifting into 2nd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
I don't do it. ( way to easy to nick reverse)
And i dont recommend it
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:02 AM