Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> threw another #3 rod, how to prevent this from happening again.
Superhawk996
post Nov 4 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Laughing at all the work that that goes into making a Type 4 hot rod. Truly a labor of love.

I live in a world where electric vehicles are quickly becoming more common. They don't have much soul as far as I'm concerned but they can be crazy fast and put internal combustion to shame in a street car drag race. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Sad but true.

I have to wonder if someday folks will be swapping out IGBT transistors in an attempt to hot rod their 50 year old EV's as inverter technologies evolve. I have to say I doubt it.

Labor on and fight the good fight guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Love watching this post evolve and seeing Len's creativity at work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 4 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'm amazed at the work that went into this development...while simultaneously clearly understanding why Limited Prep Production is so attractive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Engineering an EFI system around the stock throttle body suddenly ain't so unimagineable.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 4 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #63

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I do have and run a tuna can. I do not have an accusump. I like the ideas on the process of dry sump engineering! Not sure of my next steps, depends on what I can salvage. Don't think I will use a 80mm crank though.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 5 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #64

914 Guru

QUOTE(crash914 @ Nov 4 2019, 10:18 PM) *

Don't think I will use a 80mm crank though.

Good call. Generally speaking, stroker cranks are great for making more torque but have limited use in a T4 at high rev's for all the reasons Mark Henry pointed out. Also recall the crank stroke radius works against you by increasing bearing forces per the centrifugal force formula:

Centrifugal Force=1227 x Weight of piston & rod assembly x Radius of revolution (in this case 80mm) x RPM^2 (RPM squared). In your case, you increased all three terms. Piston weight is probably up due to big bore. The radius of revolution is higher. And finally, the RPM is 25% higher but is going up exponentially as the square of RPM's. All these are working against you.

Also don't forget the formula above is only centrifugal force which is acting on the bearing all the time. Your cyclical combustion force on the the rod bearing also has increased as a result of the increased combustion forces (Mean Effective Pressure x Piston Area) acting on the piston downward during the combustion stroke.

Not saying you don't have an oiling issue too, but, none of the stuff above is working in your favor even with proper oiling.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 5 2019, 06:31 AM
Post #65

its a mystery to me

But what a fun motor! Light up the tires whenever at full throttle. Pulled great out of corners, lots of lateral acceleration. I could finally keep up with all the modern cars, except the Tesla on autocross tires. Tesla's suck, but man do they accelerate fast!
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Nov 5 2019, 07:20 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 4 2019, 07:25 PM) *

I'm amazed at the work that went into this development...while simultaneously clearly understanding why Limited Prep Production is so attractive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Engineering an EFI system around the stock throttle body suddenly ain't so unimagineable.

Thanks Greg. When I was finished with the Level 2 914 (not to say it was fully developed to my idea of its full potential) I became a big fan of level 1 prep!

All of this same crazy effort went into redesigning the suspension, the shift linkage, the cockpit, the pedals and on and on. I ended up with a great handling, great shifting and great braking 914, yet after all of that a Spec Miata on the same tires we ran was a bitch to keep up with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 5 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #67

914 Guru

QUOTE(crash914 @ Nov 5 2019, 07:31 AM) *

But what a fun motor! Light up the tires whenever at full throttle. Pulled great out of corners, lots of lateral acceleration. I could finally keep up with all the modern cars, except the Tesla on autocross tires. Tesla's suck, but man do they accelerate fast!

Depends on the definition of fun.

The ability to light up the tires whenever really means you have too much power for the tire you're running.

If you truly want to be fast, the ability to ground power without lighting up the tires is key to being fast. Lighting up the tires means you've lost both longitudinal grip and lateral grip. That isn't a good thing. . . . but many consider it fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) If you can light up the tires that easily, I'd ask you to do some soul searching about how much power you really need to maximize your lap times. You may find less power, or conversely, more tire, is actually faster.

To use an extreme analogy. If I put 2" wide hard compound motorcycle tires on a 914, I could light up the tires at will with something on the order of a 1.7L's power. It may be fun (i.e. burning rubber and/or drifting) but I assure you it won't be fast.

The reason a Tesla P100D in Ludicrious mode is so fast (in a straight line) is because it can ground the power (via AWD). It isn't losing grip, and, therefore losing longitudinal acceleration (and by default) lateral grip. Not much drama, but the Tesla P100 D ludicrous mode launches with about 1.4G of Longitudinal Acceleration. Very hard to match that with production car running an Internal Combustion engine.

Personally, prefer the sound of an air cooled motor (especially a six) any day the week over the silence of an EV. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 5 2019, 07:05 PM
Post #68

its a mystery to me

The tires I light up are 225 45 15 Hoosier A7's.. it is a really sticky tire.

I am able to modulate the throttle to get the limit of grip.. They give up at 1.5 or so G's.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 10 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #69

its a mystery to me

Motor is disassembled. See below for some pictures. Damage is not too severe, cam is ok, heads and lifters are ok. Case is a loss, 3 piston/cylinders look ok. crank is toast.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 10 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #70

its a mystery to me

A couple more pictures.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 10 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #71

its a mystery to me

case GA000277 is history..
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 12 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #72

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I have a 2L case you are welcome to.

Zach
+Quote Post
crash914
post Nov 12 2019, 08:45 AM
Post #73

its a mystery to me

Thanks Zach! I might take you up on that offer. I have one to tear down. Depending on what shape it's in I will let you know... Now if you only had an extra -6 oil tank.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 06:50 AM