Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't find 4th gear, I no i put it in there
Bruce Edge
post Jan 2 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Old School 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,646
Region Association: None

I can go in to all gears except 4th gear. Side shift, rebuilt, bench tested with all gears working properly. all new bushings from gear shift leaver back to side shift. after going thru the general set up for long shift rod(tube) gear leaver pinch bolt ect. Here is what i have found the problem to be so far(I think).
When going in to 4th gear the long shift tube rolls to the highest point where it goes through the motor mount bar. Well, the tube hits the top of the hole in the bar not letting the lever in the transmission come down far enough. All new motor mounts were install.
So, do I raise the mount bar on the left side to see if that helps, hone out the hole in the mount some. I know all this rambling may not make sense, but hoping someone that had the same experience would pick up on what I was trying to say.
Any pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jan 2 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Jan 3 2020, 02:34 PM) *

I can go in to all gears except 4th gear. Side shift, rebuilt, bench tested with all gears working properly. all new bushings from gear shift leaver back to side shift. after going thru the general set up for long shift rod(tube) gear leaver pinch bolt ect. Here is what i have found the problem to be so far(I think).
When going in to 4th gear the long shift tube rolls to the highest point where it goes through the motor mount bar. Well, the tube hits the top of the hole in the bar not letting the lever in the transmission come down far enough. All new motor mounts were install.
So, do I raise the mount bar on the left side to see if that helps, hone out the hole in the mount some. I know all this rambling may not make sense, but hoping someone that had the same experience would pick up on what I was trying to say.

Thanks,
Bruce

Are you sure the shift rod is installed right on the coupling,have you re adjusted the shifter after new mounts fitted? good luck.
+Quote Post
Bruce Edge
post Jan 2 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Old School 914

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 2 2020, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Jan 3 2020, 02:34 PM) *

Thanks,
Bruce

Are you sure the shift rod is installed right on the coupling,have you re adjusted the shifter after new mounts fitted? good luck.
Thanks for the input, I've checked and double checked for a week now. Ever gear shifts fine when driving the car except for going into 4th gear. I can disconnect the tube from the side shift on transmission and can put in to 4th with my hand with out any problem. I'll start again in the morning, was just thinking someone else had run in to this before.
Thanks again,
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jan 2 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

By any chance, are you using the tangerine racing firewall bushing? I couldn't find 4th when I installed mine. Per Chris, I just needed to grind a little bit off the front face of the coupler. Great improvement btw.

If you're using the stock bushing, I'd vote for tweaking the alignment of the shifter.

EDIT: nevermind...my issue was with 3rd.

+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 3 2020, 07:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Check that the rear most bolt on your shifter is not contacting the shifter coupling underneath. I had to grind mine to get it flush underneath.

And while in there, check that the head of the bolt on the heater lever is towards the shifter with the nut on the drivers side.

Both of these can cause shifting issues.
+Quote Post
Bruce Edge
post Jan 3 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #6

Old School 914

Hey guy, I have found the problem. I removed the long shift tube and conspired to another one, much different when laid side by side. I think it could have been twisted some. Install the other one, have plenty clearance at the motor mount bar and 4th goes in easily now. I’ll try to send picture showing new tube and good clearance, also the bad where it was rubbing the mount bar hole.
Maybe the pictures will explain all my rambling earlier.

Thanks

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jan 3 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #7

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great! Glad you got it sorted.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:21 AM