Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Show off your gauges!, post some pictures and vote on what you think looks best, gauges or no gauges
center console gauges love them or hate them
stock set up only standard 3
no console or gauges , too much clutter! [ 3 ] ** [8.11%]
anything is fine but keep them in center console [ 13 ] ** [35.14%]
no console but put them in the dash [ 21 ] ** [56.76%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
DRPHIL914
post Feb 7 2020, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

so I had an idea about this while searching for picture of gauges and placement and so on, and then on the thread about Classic AC's new center console AC unit, one member's biggest issue was just hating the center console and the "useless" gauges and distaste in general for the center console and it taking up space.

I can appreciate the simplicity of no console, but I do like the look of a nice clean console, and while I agree I really don't need a clock, I do like having functional gauges like my volt meter, Lambda gauge, and the new CHT temp gauge I just installed. AND even though I am fairly tall and have long legs I do not have an issue with it taking up room , in fact I kind of like resting my leg up against it on a long drive. But I digress! I would like to see how others have dealt with and oriented their gauges on the cluster, in the dash or center console. I have seen a few other pictures here and there but my search didn't pull up a thread that had put together a majority of those various approaches.

I personally had to source an aftermarket center console because the original one ordered with the car's Appearance group package had been removed years ago.
and now that I have customized this, I am also wanting to install AC in a way to not put the under dash unit it and would consider this Center console unit, BUT I have to figure out where else I would put the A/F meter gauge and the CHT and Volt meter at the very least I would want to retain those somewhere, not on the A-pillar, maybe in dash? Hmmmm---

post away!!

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 9 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #21

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Years ago my preference was console, but now I prefer no console. Here's a pic from a car I owned and did a 3.0 conversion on 25 years ago. 911 combo gauge, and a custom tach make from a 930 boost gauge tach, with the boost gauge converted to fuel gauge. Nothing under the dash. This car now belongs to a gentleman in middle TN, who painted the gauge panel silver. The red light is the brake warning, and the green is for fuel reserver or green means go get gas. The factory 930 steering wheel is a nice touch, I got a decent deal on it back in the day. No telling how much those are now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 9 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I put two gauges where the ash tray way back in the early '70's on my '71. Later I added one in the dash.
On the '73 I had North Hollywood Speedometer put numbers on the oil temp gauge in the console and added a pressure gauge where the radio was since you really can't hear it anyway! Just have to get around to putting the dash vinyl on the face.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Feb 9 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #23

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Similar to a couple of the earlier pics in this thread.

I put VDO gauges in the ashtray hole back in the late 1970s. I later updated to these oil pressure and volt gauges from an old Audi GT or 4000 CS Quattro (can't remember for sure). I like these because the faces were a better match with the original silver dots.

Attached Image

Attached Image

BTW, the "engine start" button is a heavy-duty Cole-Hersee switch from Waytek; less than $13. IIRC, it fits in the lighter hole pretty much without modification. Tied directly to a Ford-type starter relay, car starts more reliably now than when new.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Feb 9 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #24

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

Mine:

Attached Image

]Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RickS
post Feb 10 2020, 11:48 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,880

Sh!tty pic of quad gauge but you get the idea. Console deleted.

Digging my retro Porsche center horn button.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 11 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #26

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

No pics at the moment, bu my car has a good amount of instrumentation, and does not have a center console.

I have my clock and volt meter on the A pillar. Oil temp, oil pressure, and head temp on the dash where the radio used to be.

And my feet have plenty of room, 'cause no center console.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 11 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Even though I'm not a fan of the center console, I drove Oscar's car at WCR with one and once driving, I got used to it pretty quickly. I guess we adapt to most things if we have to. I have no trouble with a loose tail shifter trans even though it's not optimal.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RickS
post Feb 12 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,880

My issue with console mounted gauges is that they take the drivers eyes exactly where they shouldn’t be, toward the floor. Back in the 70s, not many could even spell ergonomics no less know what it is.
+Quote Post
Morrie
post Feb 14 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 8,198
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just curious if anyone has done a DIY quad gauge other than the guy who designed his own printed circuit boards with microcontrollers and such. I was thinking of using a stock temp and fuel gauge as a starting point and the quad gauge insert from a 944 gauge, plus a couple disassembled 2" VDO gauges, probably oil temp and volt meter.

Anyhow, just curious. Seems doable.. just haven't taken the parts...apart... yet to check it all out.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Feb 19 2020, 10:07 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 21,628

Got these re-done by North Hollywood and I have to say they are pretty great.
They weren't in bad shape by any stretch but I had them replace all the plastic with glass - center 3 as well - other than the clock which is difficult due to the hole for the pin to set the time. They just polished that up and advised not to clean it with a paper towel.

They replaced the low fuel red indicator, repainted all the needles, etc. and recallbrated the speedo for my specific tire size and dampened the tach so that it doesn't flop all over the place on acceleration/gear changes.

I was a bit concerned when I put them back in as the speedo wasn't reading but both odometers were rolling. I few raps on the glass and the needle started to move and after about 50 miles it was per normal. Guess the lube just had to get loosened up a bit - and now it's dead on as checked with GPS. LEDs in everything other than the OIL and GEN indicators and it's a pleasure.

My only thing is that the center 3 gauges don't dim with the headlight rheostat like the main 3 do - is that right?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
9146C
post Feb 22 2020, 09:12 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 23,460

As I'm working on my 914 project (rust remediation), I'm thinking ahead about whether to keep/eliminate my center console.

Always liked the looks of the quad gauge...don't know if anyone is doing a "center button" quad gauge these days or if I should attempt to build one myself.

Thoughts? Feedback would be appreciated!
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Feb 22 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(9146C @ Feb 22 2020, 08:12 AM) *

As I'm working on my 914 project (rust remediation), I'm thinking ahead about whether to keep/eliminate my center console.

Always liked the looks of the quad gauge...don't know if anyone is doing a "center button" quad gauge these days or if I should attempt to build one myself.

Thoughts? Feedback would be appreciated!

Several years ago I purchased a kit from John and made my own. It wasn't too bad of a project but you would need 2 gauges if I recall. I'll post a pic of my gauge later today.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 22 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #33

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Last count you can run 7 gauges in the stock area, and look like factory sold it that way. No extra drilling.

If you make a custom center dash section I ran in the race car, Tach, oil pressure, oil temp, two cylinder head gauges, fuel gauge, volt gauge, and a very small bike speedo, a pyrometer. All of these where in the stock instruments cans. Laid out so I could see them, with needles all straight up when running proper. None of it was useful in a 45 second run around the cones, maybe a minute depending on course length. I also ran a big Red light for low oil pressure.

Yes I used a digital bike speedo, had a magnetic pickup, I mounted inboard on the passenger side CV. I originally did not have a speedo, as I could tell pretty much how fast I was driving on the highway. I needed it for one venue where the campus cops would give us tickets if we went over the posted parking lot speed limit once off the course. It was 10 MPH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

That also leaves your center console for other things if you want to run it. Like a place to hide your A/C blower gives you vent locations.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Feb 22 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 15,673

I put oil pressure and cylinder head temp in a bracket just under dash, and replaced the lighter with a dual USB port/voltmeter.
Digital temp gage is fed by type J TC. Weather's a little cool here today so never saw over 180 temp

Attached Image

Even with the image inverted in my files, it still shows here upside down sorry
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Feb 22 2020, 02:51 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 20,876

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Feb 23 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

It's going to be awhile for the install of my gauges but here's what I have.
Using the center console but having the center sections made in carbon fiber to fit my gauges. Also having the lower section modified to fit my rennshifter and 914-6 hand throttle.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 25 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #37

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

In the dash

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 25 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #38

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 25 2020, 02:22 PM) *

In the dash

Attached Image

I like it!
Mine——

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 25 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #39

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I don't even get to pick up my 914-6 for another month. But, picked up a 911 combo gauge to swap out for the 914 fuel gauge. Dunno what I'll do about the fuel gauge. I've done the small 2 1/8" I think gauge in the dash. Keeps things pretty simple and clean looking.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Feb 26 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

@raynekat wins, that's the coolest set up I've seen keeping in the stock 3 pod dash, seriously, well done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

My new GT car has a Getty dash a'la Patrick Motorsports with a full set of 993 gauges:
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 08:23 AM